Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   How often do you replace you TPMS? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/833650-how-often-do-you-replace-you-tpms.html)

wanderfalke 09-12-2014 09:41 AM

How often do you replace you TPMS?

Time for new tires @ 16000 miles . I was thinking of replacing one of the sending units on a slowly leaking tire. If it is leaking does the warranty cover the replacement? Dealer quoted 200 dollars a corner so if I replaced all of them it adds 800 dollars every tire replacement cycle. Judging from some of my other dealer quotes I bet you guys are paying 150 or less.

LexVan 09-12-2014 09:53 AM

16,000 miles is really good. IMO. For tires. Not TPMS.

2lflat4 09-12-2014 09:59 AM

I'm not sure about the warranty. There is a TPMS rebuild kit that replaces the seals and "guts" of the valve stem.

Jim M. 09-12-2014 10:01 AM

When I had my Michelin SS put on at Costco I believe I paid $18.00 per wheel. A call to Costco will clear it up.

CSK 911 C4S 09-12-2014 10:17 AM

The TPMS should really never be replaced unless it's bad. Batteries and seals on the other hand can be replaced. If you drive your car on salt covered roads .... the salt really does a number on the valve stems so you might need to rebuild them sooner then someone in the south. I only rebuilt one set of TMPS on my past Audi and that was after 4 years of ownership (4 sets of tires).

I would get the one checked/replaced that's leaking by but the others should be good for a few more years. Most owners on here won't have their cars long enough to worry about even the batteries going dead in the sensors. :icon107:

Mark1996 09-12-2014 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by wanderfalke (Post 11643430)
Time for new tires @ 16000 miles . I was thinking of replacing one of the sending units on a slowly leaking tire. If it is leaking does the warranty cover the replacement? Dealer quoted 200 dollars a corner so if I replaced all of them it adds 800 dollars every tire replacement cycle. Judging from some of my other dealer quotes I bet you guys are paying 150 or less.

I do not see why the new car warranty would not cover the TPMS units if they are faulty. However, it sounds like you are choosing to replace them as preventative maintenance in which case there would be no warranty coverage.

Based on my past experience, you should be able to get at least 3 or 4 years out of the TPMS units.

mtbscott 09-12-2014 10:54 AM

I have never had to change a battery yet or rebuild a TPMS unit in any of the cars I've had with them yet. (As #5 mentions, the longest I had any recent car with them was around 3 years)
The big tire stores like Discount Tire will try to upsell you rebuilds on every tire change, a polite no thank you to that, it's just not necessary. Replace/fix them when they break, not before.

drmatara 09-12-2014 01:57 PM

yeah they last about 4-5 years (battery)

kosmo 09-12-2014 02:50 PM

first of all the defective TPMS sensors are covered under the basic warranty.
They can last upwards of 7-8 yrs!

a sensor went bad after just 2yrs and the dealer covered it.

GL

BradB 09-12-2014 03:45 PM

I got 6 years life on my Cayman S.

wanderfalke 09-12-2014 04:44 PM

Thanks everyone who responded. Interesting that my service advisor tried to sell me one that should be covered under warranty.

lunarx 09-13-2014 11:18 AM

I like to change the valve stems with each tire change.
They are only $20 each for the kit.
Since they build up brake dust residue, I like keeping a clean look on the wheels.
(You can get black ones if you have black wheels.)
If you have a TPMS, leak valve stems would fix it.
No need to change sensors, unless they are reading bad, and they would be warranty, in that case.

Jnosol 10-09-2016 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by lunarx (Post 11646087)
I like to change the valve stems with each tire change.
They are only $20 each for the kit.
Since they build up brake dust residue, I like keeping a clean look on the wheels.
(You can get black ones if you have black wheels.)
If you have a TPMS, leak valve stems would fix it.
No need to change sensors, unless they are reading bad, and they would be warranty, in that case.

Just to confirm, if I move my TPMS to a new set of wheels I only need the replacement valve stems?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/TPMSSTEM.html

TimboCarrera 10-10-2016 01:14 AM

Eight years on tha wifes tpms, boxster. If it ain't broke...

DaveGee 10-10-2016 09:47 AM

My understanding and experience is that 5 or 6 years before the batteries in the TPMS start to give up is typical. Like everything, there's always expeditions, but if you're in the "window" and replacing tires anyway, put new sensors in. The price is only about $160 for Huf Intellisens sensors from Pelican Parts. And that includes new stems.

The alternate is to wait for the TPMS to go bad and then pay $160 plus the price to install the sensors and rebalance your wheels. Consider it preventive maintenance.

DaveGee