Sponsored by:

Porsche CPO

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 12:03 AM
fred1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche CPO

I have been thinking of buying a 911 for quite some time now, and at one point I almost pulled the trigger but the price is what always stops me. However, I recently decided to take a look at some cpo cars and I found a few that were to my liking. If someone could tell me some of the pro's and con's with the program that would be great or your experience with it. Thanks Fred
Old 08-15-2014, 02:14 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Fred,

CPO is Certified Pre-owned.

If you find the a car at a dealer that hasn't been wrecked, clean car fax and the dealer inspects it and is satisfied they usually offer a CPO warranty on the car. Depending on how old the car is it's additional warranty on top of the factory warranty. The length of the CPO warranty offered will be different depending on how old the car is and dealer discretion.
Many buyers won't purchase a car such as a Porsche, Mercedes or BMW for example used or "pre owned" without an extended warranty that covers the car bumper to bumper or less comprehensive because repairs on expensive cars German or not can be costly when a large repair comes up.

Don't be afraid to purchase a car that's a year or so old either as long as you know the PROD. DATE and the WARR. EXP. date. Any Porsche dealer can tell you the factory warranty expiration date from the vin and most importantly what service, repairs and updates any particular car has received during it's life.

For example my 13 Carrera 2 S has a production date of June 3, 2013. Delivery date Sept. 18, 2013 and warranty expiration Sept. 18, 2017. That shows on every dealer service work-order/service receipt.

Even though we are into almost 2 years of the 991 you can still find nice, low mileage cpo 997'S at Porsche dealers also. It's peace of mind owning a $100k car with a nice remaining factory warranty or CPO extended warranty. I've seen 2 years and 3 years CPO extended warranties.

There are also independent extended warranty companies out there. I don't have any experience with any of those that cover Porsche but if you do a search here on the forum you will find a number of different aftermarket warranties that have satisfied customers.

Good luck, find your Porsche and enjoy!
Old 08-15-2014, 02:43 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

I bought my CPO'ed 13 C4S with 2700 miles on it.

Previous owner had a 1 year lease and took delivery of his turbo 991 a week prior.

So I have a 5 years and 97300 warranty remaining.

After the factory warranty runs out there is a $50 deductible per repair.

The dealer said drive the wheels off of it. If it breaks we will fix it.

This being my 1st Porsche it's going to be a good durability and longevity test.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:19 PM
fred1
Track Day

Having never bought a used car before, I was wondering how to price it. Also since it is a CPO is there a need for a ppi?
Old 08-15-2014, 10:03 PM
wwspeeds
Advanced

You shouldn't need a PPI when the car is CPO'd -- it indicates Porsche has already inspected the vehicle's mechanicals and physical condition, even including the amount of tread on the tires. They stand by it as they would a new vehicle.

I got my '13 C4S CPO and it's been great.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:14 AM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've owned 3 911's, all CPO...best way to buy a car, IMHO. First guy takes big depreciation hit, you get a great car with an even better warranty.

Why anyone would buy new is beyond me.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:08 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by wwspeeds
You shouldn't need a PPI when the car is CPO'd -- it indicates Porsche has already inspected the vehicle's mechanicals and physical condition, even including the amount of tread on the tires. They stand by it as they would a new vehicle.

I got my '13 C4S CPO and it's been great.
To the best of my knowledge Porsche hasn't inspected the vehicle; the same Porsche dealer selling it has.

I didn't get a PPI on my CPO but I'd still recommend doing it...
Old 08-16-2014, 10:24 AM
wwspeeds
Advanced

Originally Posted by destaccado
To the best of my knowledge Porsche hasn't inspected the vehicle; the same Porsche dealer selling it has. I didn't get a PPI on my CPO but I'd still recommend doing it...
Yes, the Porsche mechanic and sales people at the dealership selling it have performed the inspection. I didn't think it was necessary to obtain a PPI on CPO'd cars -- anyone else have any insight on this?
Old 08-16-2014, 10:48 AM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may not need a full blown PPI but I would absolutely have it checked for paint and or body damage by a trusted body shop. Not all repairs are reported to carfax and I think it can still pass cpo requirements with a painted panel.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:21 AM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Just to be devils advocate - the premium paid for a CPO is about $2500. Another option is to get a non CPO car still under factory warrantee (1-2yrs used). Still get it inspected so you know it's a solid car - you can find 1-2 year used cars with 3-10K miles - probably pretty lightly used....
Drive it for the remaining year or two to see if you like it and how it performs, and if it's in for repairs.

3 things can happen:

If it's a solid car and you like it, save the $2500 and pay for repairs out of pocket as they come.

If you like it and are going to keep it beyond your standard factory warrantee, but you are worried or it's been in the shop, get an aftermarket warrantee (the dealership could prob give some recommendations) and then you are covered. These usually run about $2500 anyways and coverage is similar to the factory CPO one

If you don't like the car or it's been in the shop too much, sell it, and you haven't spent the $2500 for the extended warrantee that you never used

Just another way of thinking about it....
Also, if you are a savvy investor, make the $2500 into more $ by investing it until the factory warrantee is up...
Old 08-16-2014, 12:19 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by dr.alexs
Just to be devils advocate - the premium paid for a CPO is about $2500. Another option is to get a non CPO car still under factory warrantee (1-2yrs used). Still get it inspected so you know it's a solid car - you can find 1-2 year used cars with 3-10K miles - probably pretty lightly used....
Drive it for the remaining year or two to see if you like it and how it performs, and if it's in for repairs.

3 things can happen:

If it's a solid car and you like it, save the $2500 and pay for repairs out of pocket as they come.

If you like it and are going to keep it beyond your standard factory warrantee, but you are worried or it's been in the shop, get an aftermarket warrantee (the dealership could prob give some recommendations) and then you are covered. These usually run about $2500 anyways and coverage is similar to the factory CPO one

If you don't like the car or it's been in the shop too much, sell it, and you haven't spent the $2500 for the extended warrantee that you never used

Just another way of thinking about it....
Also, if you are a savvy investor, make the $2500 into more $ by investing it until the factory warrantee is up...
Very well said! This is what I did, two years left on factory warranty, PPI checked out all green. I also had the VIN run to see if it had been taken in for an excessive amount of warranty work (lemon-type stuff). It turned out fine in that regard, too.

The $2500 number may vary - the CPO Porsches I saw were listed as much higher than that compared to what I paid for (Of course they were probably negotiable, not sure what the final price would have been).

So I am assuming the risk that the cost of repairs will be less than $2500 (or more) over the course of years 2-4 from my purchase. That is a chance I am taking.

On the other hand, I would have been happy to pay the extra for a CPO car with low miles that had the options I desired - at the time I couldn't find any that had what I was looking for. The one I found ticked all the right boxes - and more - at a price that I found more than acceptable.

I guess at the end of the day if I found the right car, low miles and some time remaining on the factory warranty, I would have bought it CPO or not. If not CPO, I would make sure to have it inspected very closely.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:47 PM
fred1
Track Day

The car that I am considering is a 2013 carerra s with 4000 miles what do you think would be a reasonable price?

Q - White
176 - Sport Exhaust System
250 - Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
423 - 20-inch Carrera S wheel
446 - Wheel center caps with colored Porsche Crest
583 - Smoking package
603 - Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
635 - ParkAssist (rear)
640 - Sport Chrono Package
653 - Sunroof in glass
672 - Navigation Module
AJ - Black leather front seats
P07 - Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
P3G - Premium Package Plus with Adaptive Sport Seats Plus
UN1 - Online Services
XAT - SportDesign package
XEX - Bi-Xenon™ headlights in Black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
Old 08-16-2014, 08:54 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Off hand I'd say mid 90's max, upper 80s would be a pretty good deal. Mid 80's a fantastic deal. Low 80's mind blowing deal. Assuming CPO. If not, drop a tier for each adjective
Old 08-16-2014, 09:06 PM
fred1
Track Day

Thanks for the help, will keep you updated.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:10 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

That's a $90k + car all day long. The SportDesign kit makes it worth a few extra bucks. Maybe more if it's CPO at a Porsche dealer.

Nicely optioned. Let us know.

Quick Reply: Porsche CPO