Sponsored by:

Where to buy a PSE

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 02:56 PM
Hogwild
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy a PSE

Can you only buy and install a pse with a dealer or are there other options? How much and where. Thanks
Old 08-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-2014-PO...b71e63&vxp=mtr
Old 08-06-2014, 03:54 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That link is a Standard Exhaust.

Buy the PSE parts from Sunset Porsche.
The muffler itself is only about $800.
Total cost depends what other parts you still need.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:55 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 418 Posts

unfortunately in the description in the e-bay ad above.

Item Description:
**Note: this is not the optional add on PSE - Porsche Sport Exhaust - this is the standard exhaust on all C2S and C4S 991 models **
Old 08-06-2014, 04:17 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,122 Likes on 1,460 Posts

Your local dealer can fix you up with the Sports Exhaust, its part of the Porsche Tech Equipment Catalog. While you can easily install the exhaust yourself, you can't program the A/C module as that requires the Dealer Computer to add on the SPORT button module once its been installed into the console. That's an hour of shop time for programming. Suncoast has a nice, on-line catalog but your dealer can match or beat the price and if you are going to have them do the install, just have them do all of it in order to get all the parts you need in one shot. Expect to pay about $ 3K when all is said and done.

Myself I installed a Tubi Exhaust ($ 4,500) and couldn't be happier. A deeper, richer sound without being loud and it retains the stock-like valves on the "S" model. You don't say if you have a base Carrera or an "S", but they have two different exhaust and different programming. It more costly to install and retrofit on the base model, as it does NOT have the vacuum-operating control modules, which come standard on the "S". Therefore, in order to run the PSE on the base as a retrofit, you have to do some plumbing work. On the "S", it swaps right in.

There is some confusion on how these valved exhausts work, and it took me a long time to figure it out, but the vacuum modules are NOT controlled by rpm's and engine vacuum per se, but by the engine computer DME system itself - or the software. The computer tells the solenoid when to open and then uses the vacuum reservoir to activate the valves. On a Carrera S, the valves are OPEN at idle, then as soon as you touch the gas they close and remain closed until about 3,400 rpm when they OPEN again. The SPORT button on the console just overrides the computer and keeps them open/closed all the time, that's all it does. So you don't need to even install the console button in an "S", the valves will open on their own with the factory programming.

The base Carrera does not have this feature.

Probably more than you wanted to know - I researched this extensively and was going to retrofit a PSE to my car, but turns out the TUBI was a much better option at a bit higher price, however. Good luck

Last edited by drcollie; 08-06-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:17 PM
balaclava
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one on the ebay link above is probably somebody selling their standard (non-PSE) exhaust after an upgrade.

If you want and need PSE everything from the dashboard switch to the tailpipes: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991PSE.html
Old 08-06-2014, 04:29 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting drcollie...
I did see the valves open at idle, on a 14 w/o PSE and it confused me.
Now I get it.

With the PSE switch, you can close the valves at idle (per my 13 w/ PSE).

Quick Reply: Where to buy a PSE