Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still waiting

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014 | 09:38 AM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Default Still waiting

I have been waiting since the middle of June for a Porsche 991s. Yes my ordered has changed many times, but I was promised a mid September build date.

I have been good and not changed anything for weeks and have been quietly counting down the days. But now we are into August and I have still not been given a specific build date. My Porsche man says the first few weeks of September have all been allocated and my car is not one of them but he hopes it will be in the second half of the September for first week of October delivery. The build/delivery time is now going up not down. aaaahhh..!!

Here is what I am waiting for. I will be using it mainly as a tourer but with a few track days and some day to day stuff. A bit of everything really. My god I want to use it all the time for everything.

Below is my build, with my thoughts and comments to justify my choices to myself.

I have driven 5 different 991s to get to this point. Carrera, Carrera S, Carrer 4S, 50th anniversary and Targa.

I am not getting at anyone else's choices.

911 Carrera S

Jet Black Metallic
Black leather interior

Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) - What you lose with the manual you gain with the PDK
PASM sport suspension (- 20 mm) incl. PDCC - With the rough UK roads this is a best of both worlds. Stiffer but smoother, I hope.
Sport Chrono Package Plus - This brings the car to life. Sport is how the car should feel all the time before pressing any buttons
Sports exhaust system - It sounds great. F1 sounds crap now because its quiet. There is an emotional link between speed and sound.
20-inch 911 Turbo wheel - Swapped around wheel choices so many times, but now I have a tough car colour and hard wheels to keep clean.
Wheel centres -
Wheel spacers -
SportDesign exterior mirrors - Just so much better and thought out. They add something to the car rather than just being functional.
Bi-Xenon-Headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) - Hey they can look around corner like the Citroen DS
Painted headlamp cleaning system cover - The chrome ones stand out and not in a good way.
Rear wiper - Needed in the UK
Aluminium window frames - frames the dark window line. Nod to the 991 50. Adds a retro feel.
Privacy glass (rear window) - Black on black from the rear looks great.
Reversing camera incl. ParkAssist front and rear - Expensive wheels, high kerbs, tight parallel parking, stoned moments.
Aluminium Look fuel cap - It will make me smile every time I have to fill up.
Sports seats plus, electrical 4 ways - Great design and shape, just enough adjustment. The price.
Heated seats - Cold winter starts
Porsche crest embossed on head restraints - Adds a little something to the head rests
SportDesign steering wheel - the best one on offer at this time.
White instrument dials - Easy to read and the contrast breaks up the black interior
Carrara White Sport Chrono clock display - The clock that does not a lot now stands out even more.
Brushed aluminium centre console trim - The plastic interior bits are not that nice.
Brushed aluminium interior package - This breaks up the black interior too and make sit feel a bit more special.
Cruise control - to keep me under the limit.
Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor - Grown used to it on my Peugeot 308
Light design package - For romantic nights driving with my chick
Stainless steel door sill guards - Hopefully they will protect the car from boot scuffs.
Luggage net passenger footwell - A special treat for my chick.
Floor mats - Should be standard
Smoking package - One of the many, many things I have picked up from this forum.
Fire extinguisher - Just incase I see a GT3
Porsche Vehicle Tracking System (VTS) - Don't want it, but have no choice. Is that even legal?
Preparation for mobile phone - Incase I get a puncture. THe spare wheel issue is an issue.

The things I chopped and changed the most. An options I did not like.

PDK. I am and always have been a manual man. If I ever drove autos I would get bored and feel disconnected. I wanted a manual 991, I read many of the forum discussions on the pros and cons of each and was happy to be in the minority and still wanted the manual.

That was until I tried the PDK (with Sports Chrono package). It does what you always hoped an auto box would do (I know its not really an "outbox", but you can drive it like one). It is such a manual auto-box, you have input at anytime and if you want to take control it will let you. I will miss a lot of little things about manuals but feel I will gain so much from the PDK.

PDCC. This is an expensive option and some people say that its presence is very subtle and hard to feel or calculate. But others say it softens the ride over rougher surfaces, taking the harshness out of the SPASM. Its hard to get a demonstrator in the UK with PDCC.

Colour. First it was Rhodium (chosen on the configuration) but didn't like it so much in real life. Then agate grey. I went for metallic white, it shows the car off very well and looks great. But then every other new car I saw on the road was white. Its the "new black"…apparently. I have since had a yellow demonstrator for the day which really grew on me, but I feel its a colour you would grow out of just a quickly. Ideal for the sunny continent, but not "dull old Blighty".

Wheels. I chose black Sport Technos because they are slightly wider and easier to keep clean and they look similar to the 50th anniversary wheels which you can not buy direct from Porsche yet.. I chose Carrera Classics because they really look "classic" on the car and don't look too hard to keep clean but they seem like the standard wheel for black 991s

Tail lights in clear glass. When I first saw them I thought WOAH. On my white car choice they just didn't work quite right and then on the Jet black choice they
looked great, but I just went off them. The car needs a bit of colour at the back.

18 way adaptive sport seats. My chick and myself are both very slim and I justified the price saying they will squeeze us nice and tight. But there are so many configurations and movements it was never possible to get them just right. I was forever fiddling and adjusting. I would have to adjust every position if I put another layer of clothing . The four way are a good compromise, a great seat with "just" enough adjustment to get "my" correct driving position.

I went for the Bose without much thought. Just thought it would be a happy compromise between the best(incredibly expensive and not the best of reviews) and the worst(free and though of as just ok by most). But then I thought about what I wanted the car for. It was not for listening to music in. I do that all day everyday. The car is the escape from that. The only music will be the PSE and wind buffeting.

The side privacy glass ruins the window shape and line. The split from dark to light down the door window line takes away from the wonderful window shape and clean lines.

I have used the multi function steering wheel a couple of times and just can not get on with it. The gear change controls are counter intuitive and caused me many a wrong gear change or rev limiter visit. Some of the other functions work well, but I think the wheel itself in not very attractive. Its too plasticky. A SportDesign steering wheel with a few added functions would be a great wheel.

Power Kit S engine upgrade. If I went for a manual, no chrono, no paint, PSE. I could be pretty close to justifying it. I came close a few times.

Aerokit and sports design packages. I like the sport and aero front end, it is less fussy and looks more thought out and complete than the standard front. But the issue I have with this front end is, it makes the car look nose heavy from the side. It hangs down slightly lower than the side of the car making it look not quite right. I know Porsche used to fit side skirts with these kits too which eliminated the nose heavy look. They don't now, but they should.
The duck tail is ok, but overkill with the rear wing.

Just my thoughts, I have a lot of time to kill…Next thing I want to talk about is running in...
Old 08-06-2014 | 09:45 AM
Duke I
Pro

I think you should press your dealer to find out if they even have an allocation. I ordered a car from one dealer back in March and got the run around for several months and I finally asked if they had an allocation for my car, and they did not. I went to another dealer, got a confirmed allocation AND a better discount. My car is now built and awaiting my factory collection in about 4 weeks.
Old 08-06-2014 | 09:48 AM
Jonathan Lord
Racer

Default Waiting is a pain

Thanks for the long post. . and description of your order!
We ordered a 2015 C4S Cab in April; and we have always had a late August delivery date! Our freeze date was 5/27; build complete date 7/3; and we hope it landed stateside on Monday (8/4). Computer still says 8/22 for delivery. . why does it take so damn long between steps. In parallel, we ordered a Mercedes 2015 S65 - its build date was delayed from 5/2 to 5/30 because of parts availability (it was the start-up of production); was complete 6/12 and was in the states by 7/3. Not nearly as long.
If you would like details of either build - let me know by PM.
And hang in there!
Jack
Old 08-06-2014 | 10:02 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

I think one of the ploys dealers use to get more allocations is to take a existing car that has sat on the lot a while and declare it a demo. Maybe you could inquire about this tactic.

Last edited by wanderfalke; 08-06-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-06-2014 | 01:56 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

I was at the dealer in Nashville, TN last week and they are totally out of all 911's. I was like WOW.
Old 08-06-2014 | 03:34 PM
UT Bondman
Track Day

Originally Posted by Duke I
I think you should press your dealer to find out if they even have an allocation. I ordered a car from one dealer back in March and got the run around for several months and I finally asked if they had an allocation for my car, and they did not. I went to another dealer, got a confirmed allocation AND a better discount. My car is now built and awaiting my factory collection in about 4 weeks.
This.

OMG, you are getting the runaround. The dealer should know their allocations in short order at all times. If he can't give you the details, get your deposit back. If you didn't make a deposit, walk.
Old 08-06-2014 | 03:54 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

The dealer should be able to give you a printout of your configuration with the vehicle status from Porsche. It's all in the computer. Dealers are given specific model/type allocations that can be configured by and sold to a customer or, alternatively, specifications can be chosen by the dealer for the car to be eventually displayed on their showroom floor. There should be no hesitation, vacillation, or hedging from your dealer on whether or not they have a car to configure and sell you.
Old 08-06-2014 | 06:33 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Originally Posted by djcxxx
The dealer should be able to give you a printout of your configuration with the vehicle status from Porsche. .
I have had a print out of my order and paid the deposit at the end of June but nothing since. No build confirmation or date from the dealer or the factory.

I think I need to speak to the dealership tomorrow.

Thanks...
Old 08-06-2014 | 08:03 PM
Clocked
Racer

Ordered a 2015 911c4s in mid to late April been driving the car starting late July. Sounds like your dealer is playing you.
Old 08-06-2014 | 10:27 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Ordered a C2S on 7/25/14 Build Sheet-Retail / KF Customer Vehicle . . . and dealer is still waiting for confirmation of the dates.
Porsche is on vacation the month of August every year.
Old 08-06-2014 | 10:39 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Nice specs...but your dealer is a meanie. Bribe him with donuts every week (literally) and I'm sure he can come up with early September delivery.
Old 08-07-2014 | 06:51 AM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Spoke to the OP dealer today and he says the car's booked in production date is around:

Week 37 September 8, 2014 September 14, 2014
Week 38 September 15, 2014 September 21, 2014

So its getting closer, slowly...
Old 08-07-2014 | 12:05 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Many of us trying to get September/October production slots have the same story as OMG. I'm in the same place, but still waiting confirmation. My dealer's pretty large and I've purchased many vehicles from them, so I don't think they're messing around. There's speculation of the Macan taking up a huge amount of production and/or an earlier than expected release of the MY16 facelift. But that's all speculation.
Old 08-07-2014 | 03:04 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

I got an e-mail from the Fresno dealer this morning. My 7/25/14 order for a 991S now has a build date of 10/03/14 and expected delivery in Fresno on 12/12/14.
So someone is still working at Porsche during August
Old 08-07-2014 | 03:15 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Originally Posted by Scottish Pete
Build date 10/03/14 and expected delivery in Fresno on 12/12/14.)
At least being in the UK I don't have to wait so long between build and delivery..
I have been promised I will receive it 5 - 10 days after build..

Quick Reply: Still waiting