Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche vs trailer hitch

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:38 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Sorry. That's terrible. Hopefully your insurance company will authorize a new hood, but I doubt they will. Maybe a PDR job and have the hood reshot. It will look great.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:46 AM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an accident exactly like this years ago with my S2000. It really was an accident, a customer of mine backed into it with a jacked up Nissan SUV (armada?) with a tow hitch. Those cars are tall to begin with and like the 991 it's got a long, low nose. Totally possible this was an accident, some people just don't look.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:17 AM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. I do think it was an accident. I didn't see what car did it, but there was a Tahoe on the block which, if you look where the hitch is, matches the height of first contact with my hood. I think the 911 is so low, that a high up car like that probably didn't even know I was there.

The annoying thing is that they didn't leave a note after they damaged my car. That is just cowardly and obnoxious. If you make a mistake, you should fess up/be honest.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

This is crazy. Cringe to see this. Sorry and feel for you.

I would get a new hood and have the dealer put it in, unless you have a trusted indy that you have built a relationship with. This way, if you have issues with it closing, you can always take it back to them. I would trust the dealer more than just any body shop.

Hope it all works out for you.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:25 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dr.alexs
The annoying thing is that they didn't leave a note after they damaged my car. That is just cowardly and obnoxious. If you make a mistake, you should fess up/be honest.
Sure, maybe 20 years ago. These days? Nah, everyone's in their own little world and doesn't accept responsibility for anything they cause. Truck probably accidentally backed into you (I'm giving the benefit of the doubt just a little bit) but then saw what happened and thought "Meh, if they can afford that car they can afford to fix it" and drove off.

I would go for a new hood. I doubt PDR could get that thing smooth again - that looks like a deep crease there.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:42 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some of you know me from the m3 forum... I had an accident in my brand new M3 with 200 miles on the clock... some douche didn't watch and plowed into my side. I ended modding the f@ck out of that thing - turning it into a 650hp track monster... sometimes you have to create your own silver lining.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:50 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,358 Posts

That's pretty minor. Just take it to a good shop and get it fixed, its not really too big a deal other than the inconvenience of it all. Most shops are going to put on a new hood as its faster than trying to pull that dent out. Skip the dentless guy, that's out of their league and the hood is aluminum which doesn't have a 'memory' like steel does, so you'd pay the guy several hundred bucks and it would never look right. Pick the best shop in your area and go for the new hood. After you pay your deductible, it's really a moot point on the total cost of the job.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:54 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Here's the picture - beautiful, isn't it?
That makes me absolutely sick.

When I bought my first Corvette many years ago, when I was a young Air Force Captain, it was backed into twice and rear ended once - two of them were hit and runs and the one that wasn't, well he was a drifter with no insurance. All three times the car was stationary. Still makes me sick thinking about it.

I am so sorry that this happened to you and truly hope you get it fixed as good as new.

Please don't get a Kia - if you do, then the terrorists win.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:12 AM
Weim911
Instructor

Originally Posted by drcollie
That's pretty minor. Just take it to a good shop and get it fixed, its not really too big a deal other than the inconvenience of it all. Most shops are going to put on a new hood as its faster than trying to pull that dent out. Skip the dentless guy, that's out of their league and the hood is aluminum which doesn't have a 'memory' like steel does, so you'd pay the guy several hundred bucks and it would never look right. Pick the best shop in your area and go for the new hood. After you pay your deductible, it's really a moot point on the total cost of the job.
There really are some good shops around. The one around here is audi certified and they do a spectacular job. You wouldn't believe how perfect these repairs are.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:44 AM
Mojo31
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a car once that got rear ended in the first week that I owned it and again before its first birthday. Some cars just carry bad juju. I hope yours doesn't.

I recommend an urban assault vehicle for day to day driving. It must have a brush guard and heavy steel bumpers.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:33 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There's a axiom posted over on Lotus Elise forums, "Do not EVER parallel park, due to car not being seen by large cars in front of you."
Perhaps we need to add this to our 991 regimen.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:43 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Ouch, that sucks. Sorry you've had a run of bad luck with this car.

If you can indulge me, can you recreate the scene of the crime? You see I have a theory on what happened here, and in my theory you would be partially to blame for this damage. (also very possible you have no blame in this incident) I drive sports cars and I drive a large truck so I've seen my share of **** from both sides of the fence. I'll start of by saying that I NEVER parallel park my pickup on the street anymore because invariably some douche bag will block me into that parking spot. I've come out to my truck to see 12 inches in front of me and 12 inches behind me, WTF !!!! Most drivers have no clue what it takes to maneuver a large pickup around in a parking situation. These days I don't give anyone the opportunity to **** with me, I just park two blocks away and deal with it that way.

Maybe we can help a fellow RL'er from suffering the same fate as you are dealing with here.

Always have situational awareness and be aware of the ramifications of your actions. If you squeeze your car into the last available spot near the cafe, and in doing so you've boxed in some monster SUV, truck, whatever, there may be a price to pay for not thinking things through first.

I'm not trying to rub salt into your wound, just trying to help everyone here park their cars in a little bit safer manner.

Hope you get your 991 back to like new condition asap.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:40 PM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Ouch, that sucks. Sorry you've had a run of bad luck with this car. If you can indulge me, can you recreate the scene of the crime? You see I have a theory on what happened here, and in my theory you would be partially to blame for this damage. (also very possible you have no blame in this incident) I drive sports cars and I drive a large truck so I've seen my share of **** from both sides of the fence. I'll start of by saying that I NEVER parallel park my pickup on the street anymore because invariably some douche bag will block me into that parking spot. I've come out to my truck to see 12 inches in front of me and 12 inches behind me, WTF !!!! Most drivers have no clue what it takes to maneuver a large pickup around in a parking situation. These days I don't give anyone the opportunity to **** with me, I just park two blocks away and deal with it that way. Maybe we can help a fellow RL'er from suffering the same fate as you are dealing with here. Always have situational awareness and be aware of the ramifications of your actions. If you squeeze your car into the last available spot near the cafe, and in doing so you've boxed in some monster SUV, truck, whatever, there may be a price to pay for not thinking things through first. I'm not trying to rub salt into your wound, just trying to help everyone here park their cars in a little bit safer manner. Hope you get your 991 back to like new condition asap.
So I really don't see how this could be my fault. Here's the situation:
As usual, I spent a few minutes driving around to find a spot that looked "safe." There wasn't much available, but I found something a few blocks away that was on a quiet street. Picture a house flanked by two driveways. Enough room for three cars. The front and back car were there and the middle spot was open. I parked in the middle spot. Plenty if room both in front and in back. I would not squeeze this car into any spot. It's just not worth it. I figured if the guy in front needed to move, he would pull away (because no one was in front of him because of the driveway) and the guy in back could easily back away and pull off (because no one was in back of him because of the driveway). Therefore, although a middle spot is risky, in this case I thought it was actually safer.
I have to imagine either the guy in front of me accidentally put his car in reverse instead of drive to pull away, or some moron came along who doesn't know how to park and reversed with reckless abandon over my car (maybe he couldn't see the car bc it's so low...although they would have passed it when looking for the spot). In any case, if you can see how that's my fault, I'd be surprised. I clearly place the blame on the coward who hit and run.

I've started the insurance claim. Inspection Thursday and repair likely next week. I will let you all know how it turns out!
Old 07-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Porsche Jeff
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Kia, no way. Just remember Porsche, there is no substitute.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Weim911
Instructor

So I really don't see how this could be my fault. Here's the situation:
As usual, I spent a few minutes driving around to find a spot that looked "safe." There wasn't much available, but I found something a few blocks away that was on a quiet street. Picture a house flanked by two driveways. Enough room for three cars. The front and back car were there and the middle spot was open. I parked in the middle spot. Plenty if room both in front and in back. I would not squeeze this car into any spot. It's just not worth it. I figured if the guy in front needed to move, he would pull away (because no one was in front of him because of the driveway) and the guy in back could easily back away and pull off (because no one was in back of him because of the driveway). Therefore, although a middle spot is risky, in this case I thought it was actually safer.
I have to imagine either the guy in front of me accidentally put his car in reverse instead of drive to pull away, or some moron came along who doesn't know how to park and reversed with reckless abandon over my car (maybe he couldn't see the car bc it's so low...although they would have passed it when looking for the spot). In any case, if you can see how that's my fault, I'd be surprised. I clearly place the blame on the coward who hit and run.

I've started the insurance claim. Inspection Thursday and repair likely next week. I will let you all know how it turns out!
I'm not sure that someone hitting your parked stationary vehicle could ever be your fault! Even if I parked in the left turn lane and walked away, if someone hits me, not my fault. They should pay attention when driving (I'm exaggerating but still you get my point). This is clearly some drivers fault who didn't leave a note and doesn't know how to drive. It sucks. You did nothing wrong.

Quick Reply: Porsche vs trailer hitch