Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've decided to sell my other cars and daily drive the 911

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 11:29 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 242 Likes on 146 Posts

1 used my 2012 991C2s as my DD for 2 years and 37k miles until I traded it for a 2012 TTS which I am now using as my DD.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:40 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,090 Likes on 4,898 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
1 used my 2012 991C2s as my DD for 2 years and 37k miles until I traded it for a 2012 TTS which I am now using as my DD.
Bravo.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:34 AM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it. I drive my C2S into midtown manhattan every day. It makes the sometimes difficult metro NYC commute tolerable because the car is so awesome. I park in a midtown garage where i treat the guys well and grease the manager so my car is always on the ground floor and not moved too much during the course of the day. 13+ months in, it has a couple of really small paint chips on the rear bumper, but the biggest blemish on the car (scrape on front bumper) came from a mishap in a suburban parking lot where some person let a shopping cart roll into my car. What are you going to do, it is just a car.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:50 PM
milban
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm getting my C4S to make my commute and daily travels more fun. It can't do that as well, at home, in the garage. In my day, it will carry tools & materials, get dirty inside & out. My dog & will enjoy it every darn day. I love a clean black car, even a dirty black car, especially when it drives so sweet, even in a snowstorm! Just had to support the OP!
Old 07-13-2014, 01:27 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I drove into Manhattan for years (but mainly did Metro North). The garage thing you can work around, but I was always more worried about a flat or breakdown and then having a bunch of Dante's 7th ringers descend upon me. Did not want a "Bonfire of the Vanities" moment.

A 991 makes for more of a target than a BMW 525i.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:28 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 466 Posts

The Chevy Tahoe with brush guards was invented for a reason...and that reason is MANHATTAN. But hey man do what you want to and enjoy~!
Old 07-13-2014, 01:37 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
The Chevy Tahoe with brush guards was invented for a reason...and that reason is MANHATTAN. But hey man do what you want to and enjoy~!
Lol. Mad Max!
Old 07-13-2014, 05:06 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
this ^
Old 07-14-2014, 11:22 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
How much more enjoyable will your commute be driving the 911 to the city on a daily basis?
The problem is the mechanical attrition and the emotional attrition when driving a 911 daily.
When driving a car daily, it becomes less of a thrill and more of an appliance. Then it gets beat up and becomes even more of an appliance and now the spiral has begun.
I like having my 911 be a special treat, something to use when I'm relaxed and ready to give my full attention to driving. It would quickly become an appliance to me after using it daily for 30 days.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:38 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
The problem is the mechanical attrition and the emotional attrition when driving a 911 daily.
When driving a car daily, it becomes less of a thrill and more of an appliance. Then it gets beat up and becomes even more of an appliance and now the spiral has begun.
I like having my 911 be a special treat, something to use when I'm relaxed and ready to give my full attention to driving. It would quickly become an appliance to me after using it daily for 30 days.
I can understand and see both sides... I drive my Cayenne daily, and drive the 911 only for the sake of driving. But many times I feel like I'm missing out. The 911 is the quintessential everyday sports car - it's true purpose, by driving it daily you are one with the vert spirit of it.

If I wouldn't have a service dog as an almost daily companion I'd drive the 911 much more.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:18 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
I desire to build experiences with the machine that only come from miles of use, and the car being there for you in a multitude of situations. It is tough to fake it and it is tough to get to this place without a good amount of seat time. I'm not saying great moments of driving joy are seen on a daily grind. But experiences are made during those miles.

I tracked the car really early in its life and it made me love and know the car so much more than if I had stayed home that day. Or had taken another car, which I almost did. The car has also been perfect during and since then, so I take away that it could handle the early workout, and I now know the car in a way I had not. That day I found lines I had not seen or driven before. That moment lasts with the car somehow.

A great car hopefully gets better with age and use. Good hard use. And at the same time, good hard care. I recognize a balance must exist, and I guess that is what this all is about. How far can the line be pushed while still having a perfect car...

If this car for some reason does fade to mundane, I kinda want to know that. I can't relate to getting accustomed to and therefor bored with the car from using it too frequently. I guess I can. Those are the cars I get rid of. There is also part of me that wants to see exactly what kind of spirit and longevity a +100K 2014 911 has.. I'm actually leaning towards continuing to use the GTI for my commute at this moment, but a large part of me, or my car spirit wants to roll this 50 all the time, and a part of me thinks not doing so is escaping the true meaning of what all this car obsession is about.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:53 PM
cdelrosario
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
I desire to build experiences with the machine that only come from miles of use, and the car being there for you in a multitude of situations. It is tough to fake it and it is tough to get to this place without a good amount of seat time. I'm not saying great moments of driving joy are seen on a daily grind. But experiences are made during those miles.

I tracked the car really early in its life and it made me love and know the car so much more than if I had stayed home that day. Or had taken another car, which I almost did. The car has also been perfect during and since then, so I take away that it could handle the early workout, and I now know the car in a way I had not. That day I found lines I had not seen or driven before. That moment lasts with the car somehow.

A great car hopefully gets better with age and use. Good hard use. And at the same time, good hard care. I recognize a balance must exist, and I guess that is what this all is about. How far can the line be pushed while still having a perfect car...

If this car for some reason does fade to mundane, I kinda want to know that. I can't relate to getting accustomed to and therefor bored with the car from using it too frequently. I guess I can. Those are the cars I get rid of. There is also part of me that wants to see exactly what kind of spirit and longevity a +100K 2014 911 has.. I'm actually leaning towards continuing to use the GTI for my commute at this moment, but a large part of me, or my car spirit wants to roll this 50 all the time, and a part of me thinks not doing so is escaping the true meaning of what all this car obsession is about.
Nicely put! I have always had 2 cars to split time with. At age 52, since i keep my cars, I figure I may be buying 1 or 2 more cars in my life. My 991 will be my DD, & I'm going to enjoy her everyday instead of the usual 2 or 3 days a week. I am going to enjoy her to the fullest!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:15 PM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the above viewpoints are valid. Each of us has had a different life experience and more specifically driving experience. Also one's age has a LOT to put into the mix. I am 71 years of age and have undergone ALL of the viewpoints shared, most likely by younger drivers. I have owned 4 911's and 1 Boxster S over the past 42 years. Until a year ago I vowed I would never own a 911 that was not a manual shift. As well, my past many years of driving involved daily use of my 911, largely because it was my ONLY vehicle in my younger years. Now I have an everyday vehicle (BMW Sportwagon) while I use my C4S mostly for PCA Club drives. I no longer enjoy driving it in town. I do not enjoy shifting nor do I enjoy the attention that the car gets. I never thought I would change my viewpoints years ago. But here I am, and it is all perfectly OK :-)) Do what you love and love what you love and allow everyone to do the same. Happy trails to all..........:-))
Old 07-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Mark1996
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just drive the damn thing as much as you want and as often as you like. The more the better. The only real limitation as a daily driver is the lack of cargo space. Get the roof rack and then you can take the 911 to Home Depot for some 2x4's. With the rack, you can also carry a flat screen TV home from Best Buy.

You can slap some 19 inch wheels on it if you are worried about potholes. The comfort and convenience features rival any luxury car on the market now.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:04 AM
904c2s
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm doing the same and there is nothing like getting in to my 911 after a hellish work day. 1900 miles in 5 weeks and not regretting a single mile.

Quick Reply: I've decided to sell my other cars and daily drive the 911