Sponsored by:

Cooled Seats Very Anemic

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014 | 10:16 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Default Cooled Seats Very Anemic

Hi all,
I have the cooled seats in my 991 and I'm not sure if they are working right. I hear the fan blowing when I turn the seats on, but I basically feel zero cooling effect even when all three blue bars are lit up. I remember in a test drive of another 991 really noticing them and being excited about them, but I've never been impressed with the ones in my car.

It's Atlanta, It's hot, I can't go on like this

Thanks all for the input.
Old 07-10-2014 | 10:20 AM
kosmo
Race Director

recall that P's design is one where air is DRAWN away from the body. I personally dont like it and yes its very anemic.
Old 07-10-2014 | 10:21 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kosmo
recall that P's design is one where air is DRAWN away from the body. I personally dont like it and yes its very anemic.
Yeah, I read that. I just seem to remember something very different on my original test drive. I'd much prefer cool air blowing on my *** vs. hot air being sucked away from my ***. Who's with me?
Old 07-10-2014 | 10:36 AM
Zohan
Racer

Originally Posted by sgroer
Anemic
I think you mean asthmatic
Old 07-10-2014 | 10:48 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Same anemic sensation with both seats or just the drivers side?

And yes, the fans are quite noisy.
Old 07-10-2014 | 10:49 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

sgroer,

The clothing you wear will determine how effective the "Air Draw" system works. The first time I used it I was wearing suit pants, tee, long sleeve cotton shirt and tie. Looked at the 3 lit blue bars and couldn't tell anything was happening...........dissapointed to say the least.
Then on a 2 hour trip to NY in 90* sunny weather I wore nylon hiking shorts and and a Nike performance Golf shirt.............turned it on and what a fantastic difference!
Works like a charm, give it a try.
Old 07-10-2014 | 10:53 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sgroer
Yeah, I read that. I just seem to remember something very different on my original test drive. I'd much prefer cool air blowing on my *** vs. hot air being sucked away from my ***. Who's with me?
Turn the fan 180*
Old 07-10-2014 | 11:18 AM
Hubba
Intermediate

Finally figured the system out recently. Here's some tips.. many come from other kind folks on Rennlist:
1. When you know you'll be needing some seat cooling, try to wear clothing that will allow good air transfer.. performance polyester (athletic/golf) clothing with "quick dry" tech are best. Loose knit cottons are ok... thick jeans are near useless.
2. Don't stow anything in the foot well behind the driver & passenger seats. This is the main vent area for exiting exhaust air which needs to be free from obstruction. I originally had both footwells crammed with coats, sunblock, etc... which I now stow in the frunk.
3. ***this is the key. TURN THE AC ON !!! This puts some cooled air in the cabin that can now be FELT on your skin as the fans in each seat pull it around your body. I have the cabriolet and even though the cooled air exits the cabin quickly.. this makes a HUGE difference. As you'd expect... if all the air around you is warm... you're not going to feel much effect.
4. I've read some reports that "perhaps" some vented seat fans are not working properly at full power and need to be checked by the dealer. Before I tried the AC trick I was certain mine were not working properly. Sure enough... they are both fine and such a great addition.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-10-2014 | 11:55 AM
clembo
Instructor

I have the vented deats in my 991 and in a Cayenne. I also have two Benz's with cooled seats. The Porsches do not come close to the Benz system. The Porsche seats are better than nothing but not really very strong.
Old 07-10-2014 | 12:06 PM
Duke I
Pro

What about wearing muumuus? That would work right?
Old 07-10-2014 | 12:27 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

You guys are just looking at it from the wrong angle. Porsche makes sportscars. Their seat cooling system has the added sporty benefit of the pilot getting sucked into the seat, that's why they are programmed to suck harder in corners.
Other manufacturers just blow you out of the seat, nothing sport or racy about that ;-)
Old 07-10-2014 | 12:49 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bccars
You guys are just looking at it from the wrong angle. Porsche makes sportscars. Their seat cooling system has the added sporty benefit of the pilot getting sucked into the seat, that's why they are programmed to suck harder in corners.
Other manufacturers just blow you out of the seat, nothing sport or racy about that ;-)
Whatever seat makes you happiest.
Old 07-10-2014 | 12:50 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Duke I
What about wearing muumuus? That would work right?

I though it was spelled MooMoo?
Old 07-10-2014 | 02:06 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

you need to move to the Peninsula part of the Bay Area...from late May until late October, the high temp is 78 degrees and overnight low temp mid 50s every day with gentle afternoon breezes , no clouds in the sky for months on end.... the car windows are down and its HVAC system is set to OFF !

Most houses in my town don't even have air conditioning and the two days a year we have " humidity ", it's the talk of the neighborhood and everyone mobs into sidewalk cafes downtown, pretending they're in Paris or NY, lol !
Old 07-10-2014 | 02:54 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Oh yeah!

Well we got hurricanes and blizzards for our entertainment, so there!

The great Northeast baby!

Quick Reply: Cooled Seats Very Anemic