991 rattling sound coming from front/dash area

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 02:37 PM
Giacomo_CH
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 rattling sound coming from front/dash area

Hi guys,

i am new to this forum so first of all i'd like to say hello and introduce briefly mysel f i own a 911 carrera S coupe, black with 20" rims. (2013).

I love the car although there is one issue i'd like to report to this forum.
I consistently hear a rattling noise coming from the front area / dash, i cannot quite place where it is coming from exactly, it seems to be coming from the windshield area driver side.
it starts at high speed let's say 120-130km and keeps going even at 100km to disappears at lower speeds.

Of course the difficulty with this kind of noises is to identify where they originates from and therefore i have made a video of it. You can clearly hear the rattling sound kind of high pitched as well.

http://youtu.be/0ueMX80vN3M

porsche 911 carrera S rattling sound - YouTube

If you have any idea please let me know.

Thanks and regards
Giacomo
Old 07-07-2014, 04:46 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 401 Posts

You probably already touched/pushed/applied pressure to everything while traveling and still get the noise but here's a shot in the dark.

Open up the trunk and make sure the plastic piece covering the battery and brake reservoir is nicely seated and not moving around and also the piece of trim around where the wiper blades are.

Again just a shot in the dark.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:58 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

I had what sounded like a front dash rattle...it only would happen after being out in the sun for awhile. I eventually determined it was inside the frunk. It ended up being the plastic piece (the long removable cover) nearest the windshield. As the plastic would warm up, the material became more pliable and was contacting metal underneath.

I removed the plastic piece and attached felt pads to contact point. Problem solved.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:38 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I had rattles that sounded like the passenger side. I brought it in to the dealership and they put Porsche foam in the areas and it fixed the problem.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:28 PM
TTRob
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Locating and fixing interior squeaks/rattles can be challenging. In close confines, a noise may sound like is coming from one area, but may actually be coming from another. My 981 CS had a near constant low volume squeak that sounded like it was coming from the dashboard area. As we all know, these squeaks and rattles can be extremely annoying and distracting while driving. I hesitated bringing it to the dealers because of the usual concerns...it won't make a peep while it's there, the car may come back with a new noise, etc.

After much time searching, I finally located the source. It was actually coming from the passenger side rear shock absorber. The squeak was entering the cabin through the trim panel gaps right above the shock tower. I sealed up those areas with some foam, leather and rubber trimmings I had laying around. This stopped the squeak from entering the cabin.

Good luck.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:41 AM
Giacomo_CH
3rd Gear

thank you guys.
I think for the moment i will go for the plastic cover inside the engine compartment and try with some felt in-between contact points as suggested by ggreg991. I am not ruling out any other suggestion just yet.
What i know is that it does not depend on weather conditions as the noise is audible at all temperatures.
Yet the plastic cover might be permanently deformed so to go in contact with the hood.
The other thing is it only happens above 100km/h and i suppose that is because of air flowing in and causing the plastic and metal to brush.

thanks for helping and make me feel not alone on this

Will keep this thread updated
Thanks again
Giacomo
Old 12-03-2014, 03:08 AM
Giacomo_CH
3rd Gear

Default rattling solved

Hello guys,

i think i have fixed the problem. It was the plastic cover around the cargo area.
On the driver side the plastic that aligns with the metal was vibrating at high speed causing the rattling. I have put some felt pads between the plastic and the metal right were the rivets that are supposed to hold the plastic to the metal are, to alleviate the problem. I noticed that there was a bit of play there and there fore that caused the rattling at high speed. Now the rattling noise is gone.

Thank you all

Cheers

Giacomo.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:49 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As a side note, though the 991 is structurally solid, there is no question there are rattles or squeaks. My glass sunroof had the most horrendous rattle that was recently fixed (still a little rattle). My 18-way sports seat has a squeak when my body pushes a certain way. There are other non-specific rattles. Part is the quality factor and the other part that this is a sports car with a taut suspension. So rattles and squeaks will eventually develop. My E-class after 50k miles, is nearly rattle free but obviously it has a soft suspension.
Also, 90% of the time I don't hear these. It's only at night when the roads aren't crowded, all my windows are closed, and the radio is down that they become obvious. Glad your problem was fixed.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:43 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup, and this is why I don't spec my cars with a sunroof/moonroof if I can help it. I do miss having one, but I definitely don't miss the creaking and squeaking.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:35 PM
hdawg
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

giacomo / guys, could you post a pic or two of where you put those pads? I have a rattle too ...passenger side dash, convinced its coming from the front plastic areas , either the panel nearest the windshield or the panel that covers the battery. Would be great to have an idea where to put that padding though... Driving me nuts. Thanks a lot..
Old 01-09-2015, 10:32 PM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Since we are on front of car noises - I had a faint rattle/buzz/"chinging" sound coming from somewhere in the front dash. It turned out that we had a slight leak in the A/C hoses which reduced coolant volume resulting in a compressor pump that was noisy because the coolant level was low. I still have many questions because some of the logic seems faulty but at least I now know that a low A/C coolant level can create a symptom that is a noise that appears to come from the dash.

I'll post specifics when I get the car back tomorrow or Monday.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:29 AM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Resurrecting an old one. The rattle that you heard was fixed by correcting the big plastic piece in the front, but where did you put the felt? I am wondering if those cheap metal clips are rubbing and I see no way to insulate them.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:22 AM
Highyo
Pro

As an aside has anyone else experienced this particular rattle? I thought it was in the frame of the car and the description of his video is that there is a screw loose somewhere in the front maybe by the wheel well?

Any my help would be appreciated guys
Old 08-19-2018, 02:28 PM
Highyo
Pro

just to update this and maybe offer some solace for those who have the same type of rattle.

there is a rubber pipe that connects from the car to the hood on the left side that was rattling against the frame. it's just a matter of securing that rubber hose in the little hole that a small plastic piece is there for. mine came out and the wind buffeted that hose to create the ticking rattle.

hope this solves some problems for everyone!
Old 08-29-2018, 09:09 AM
Highyo
Pro

just another update here, it turns out i was wrong about the location of the rattle and i brought the car in. there is a specific bulletin that requires "specialized suspension grease" to combat this particular rattle. if you have it, they know how to fix it! (i hope, pick up car tomorrow).

i realize i'm the only one replying to this thread but my battle against rattles is going to be the reason why i keep this car until 100k miles. (currently at 25k). or i don't

Quick Reply: 991 rattling sound coming from front/dash area