Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Super Sport (PSS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014 | 06:44 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wheelman38
Where's the best place to buy the PSS tires?
Tire Rack. Purchased stock front size and 305 in the rear. Very pleased with Tire Rack - shipped to a Porsche Dealer who installed them. Tires are great. Handling, stopping, cornering and they seem to run cooler as evidenced by the lower tire pressures at high ambient temps. As far as N spec goes, I'm sure that Porsche and Pirelli have worked tirelessly (pun intended) to match the tire to the car but I'm having a hard time imagining that my PSS Ferrari spec tires are going to blow up or cause a catastrophic failure on my 911...well over 2k on this set of tires and I am impressed. As far as "not as fast in dry conditions" I seem to be limited only by my desire to depress my right foot.

Last edited by rnl; 06-22-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-22-2014 | 08:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CBG
Interesting.

From what I have heard I would have assumed the PSS to be superior in terms of dry grip and steering precision and on the opposite lack some wet conditions performance?
Its all relative, *but* the PZero (Corsa) and MPSC (& MPSC+) were always track focused dry performance tires, the MPSS is a high performance street tire; realative to those tires the MPSS is a better all rounder, with slightly less dry performance but significantly better wet.

In my opinion the MPSS has the best wet performance of any ultra high performance summer tires ...
Old 06-22-2014 | 08:47 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Its all relative, *but* the PZero (Corsa) and MPSC (& MPSC+) were always track focused dry performance tires, the MPSS is a high performance street tire; realative to those tires the MPSS is a better all rounder, with slightly less dry performance but significantly better wet.

In my opinion the MPSS has the best wet performance of any ultra high performance summer tires ...
Right. MPSS is not an R rated tire- Michelin like Pirelli also makes R rated tires. By the way, the Mich all weather AS3s were only a second behind SuperSports at Laguna Seca according to Randy Pobst. Perhaps the best choice for non trackers for an all year round performance tire?
Old 06-22-2014 | 08:56 PM
djlynch
Pro

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Right. MPSS is not an R rated tire- Michelin like Pirelli also makes R rated tires. By the way, the Mich all weather AS3s were only a second behind SuperSports at Laguna Seca according to Randy Pobst. Perhaps the best choice for non trackers for an all year round performance tire?
I'm a non tracker and thinking of getting the as3.
Old 06-22-2014 | 08:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by djlynch
I'm a non tracker and thinking of getting the as3.
only worth it if you plan on driving all year round ...
Old 06-22-2014 | 10:12 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
only worth it if you plan on driving all year round ...
Actually, I got the MSS because I found that the P0s were ok in freezing temps- but have another car for frozen precip. I came close to getting AS3s but the MSS won.

Re tracking on R tires. There is a guy on 6speedonline who tracks his 991 all the time and has run about everything. He is back to MSS rather than R tires even tho they are not as sticky, to keep speeds down for safety. My one excursion to the track last year with my C2S with Sport PASM, it was so much faster than my previous track car (and a showroom stock car I ran in SCCA years ago) that I would not go back without a roll cage.
Old 06-23-2014 | 12:20 AM
John's 991
Pro

I like the MPSS better than the P0s on track. I think they are stickier but fall off more quickly when psi goes over 40. Have not had a wet track day yet.
Old 06-26-2014 | 02:52 PM
SB
Instructor

Originally Posted by CBG
As my 991-50 needs a set of new tires I am thinking about replacing the OEM Pirelli PZero N0 with Michelin Pilot Super Sport, although it isn't available with a N specification.

I have had very good experiences with Michelin PS2s on the 997 and GT3 and really would like to try the PSS on the 991. Does anybody here run these on the 991 and would like to share some impressions?

Thanks,
Chris
I replaced OEM Pirellis with MPSS on my '13 c2s w sport package, and I like MPSS on the street. It seems to me like Pirellis had much stiffer sidewalls and made the car respond slightly quicker to inputs.... with that being said, i don't think there is any downside with MPSS for the street. I've not been to the track with MPSS to make a comparison, and that's where MPSS's slower responses may put it at a noticeable disadvantage.
Old 06-26-2014 | 05:53 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
No summer performance tire should be used for safe and proper winter driving. The tire compound is just not right, among other things like sipes.
While that's undoubtedly true, the fact is that most people who actually drive their Porsche road cars will occasionally find themselves away from home in worse-than-expected weather conditions. It would be interesting to hear some firsthand accounts of how the PSS and other tires compare to the OEM Pirellis.

My 981BS came with PZeros -- I'm assuming they're the same ones the 991s are equipped with -- and I've been happier with them than I thought I would be, as someone who has faithfully run Michelin Pilot Sport street tires on various other cars. I don't drive on the track or exceed 150 MPH on the street, but I do appreciate the PZeros' handling and ride qualities under typical everyday conditions. When it's time for new tires, I'll have to face the question of whether to stick with the PZeros or go to one of the Michelin tires, presumably either AS3 or PSS.

If the PSS tires are truly that much worse in freezing conditions than the Pirellis, that would bias me towards the A/S 3. But if they are all equally "useless" below 0C, I'd lean more towards the PSS.
Old 06-26-2014 | 08:08 PM
tcbrown
Instructor

CBG, just curious as to how many miles you have so I can get an idea of what to expect?
Old 06-27-2014 | 07:28 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by tcbrown
CBG, just curious as to how many miles you have so I can get an idea of what to expect?
I got 20k miles on the OEM P0s. I drove the car summer and winter, on the street. Had no issues at below freezing temps but took it easy. Never got caught in snow as I know from experience that any summer performance tire is dangerous when frosted. I replaced the PS2s with AS2s on my Infiniti after one experience in light snow- the summer performance tires are useless in snow.

I like the Michelin SuperSports that I now have over the P0s that came on the car. They handle at least as well, ride smoother and quieter and cost less. I expect that as they approach 20k miles they may feel more like the P0s did when they were at that age and mileage (e.g. be a bit noisier an tighter feeling due to less tread depth).

Offhand I would bet that tire pressures would explain more variation in handling than tire engineering for street driving with these two outstanding tires. As for the N rating- :roll eyes:
Old 06-27-2014 | 07:43 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

The Super Sports are the best tire I have used in the wet apart from my racing rains. Amazing tire and not bad on track in the dry. They are the street tires on my GT3 RS and they last way longer than the usual alternatives.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sport (PSS)