Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 07:15 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,933 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Personally, I don't buy into the to belief that somehow frequenting the dealer makes it any more likely to be their advocate for good will for out of warranty work.

Heck yes it does! I run a retail business and I take VERY good care of my regular customers that shop with me year after year. I know them, they support my business and I will go out of pocket for them from time to time on issues and requests that have no basis in warranty, etc. For example, if a customer spent $ 50,000 with me over three years and he needs a $ 200 part that he feels should not have broken, what's the cost me as a percentage of the sale? Virtually nothing, so he gets it free of charge with a smile and he remains my customer. Now the person that came in three years ago and spend $ 2,000 on a single purchase sale isn't going to get that $ 200 part free of charge. I saw them one time and that was it, they have to buy the part.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:22 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by scatkins
Yeah, not sure why it makes sense to pay $300 for a $100 value.. By that logic what amount of overcharging is worth it for a 100K car? is $600 ok as well.

I'm not so much about trying to be cheap, just don't like paying for new furniture in the dealer show room and as it is 911's have the highest margin of any car out there.

Personally, I don't buy into the to belief that somehow frequenting the dealer makes it any more likely to be their advocate for good will for out of warranty work. I've never had much luck with that kind of thing, and at best it is a wish that will likely never come true. As it is I've got 3 different dealers I can frequent, so should I only go to one of them in hopes that one will remember me and do me a favor in 5 years? No thanks I'll save the money and have my trivial maintenance done more cost effectively.

In reality for the stuff I'm not willing to do myself I hook up with a good indie.. But most of the general maintenance is pretty trivial and I tend to enjoy doing it.
I suggest you reread my post. I wasn't expressing a belief; I was sharing my experiences. I have decades of experiences with 911s, my first was purchased in 1970. Although I didn't keep a log of how much I paid or overpaid in your view for dealer provided maintenance, I can readily recall four separate occassions where Porsche provided good will out of warranty gratis repairs. Porsche not only provided the parts but they also reimbursed the dealer for labor, and in each case the dealer was my advocate for the good will repairs.

I have no vested interest in whether or not you do your own maintenance, have an indy do it or have a dealer do it. I'm merely sharing my experience, and if you chose to reject it, then so be it.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:26 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Having your Oil Change history logged in the dealer computer is an advantage, when it comes to resale value and improving the odds of an out of warranty repair getting covered.
It gets you over the first hurdle of proof of proper maintenance.
It is sad that there is no credit given for an owner doing their own oil change, as those cars may well be the best cared for cars.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:39 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 251 Posts

The oil change I did will be logged in to a data base which will show on carfax. I know because my last Porsche I just sold had it's oil change at the same place and when I printed the carfax it was there.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:08 AM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

These things are true, however a manufacturer in the US cannot force an individual to have their vehicle serviced at the dealer to validate the warranty, unless they provide such services for free. This is a big discussion on BMW forums as they do provide included "no cost" maintenance. As for me, I save the receipt for oil and filter and write in mileage and date.

Quick Reply: Local oil change