991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about bringing the car in for rattling noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014 | 08:28 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

maxpowers, let us know how it goes for you.
I have had 5 dealer visits (with 2 fix attempts) on a similar rear noise issue.
First trip "no noises heard", 2nd trip noise acknowledged with Shop Foreman, 3rd trip to attempt repair, 4th trip to new dealer for Shop Foreman to acknowledge noise, 5th trip to attempt repair.
This last attempt got most of it and they lubed up the center hinges.
A little of that creaking noise still remains.

Just last night, I took the rear seat backs out myself, to try to isolate the source.
I noticed the plastic caps have felt on them.
One had a broken side tab (and I don't think I broke it, since it came off too easy)

I ordered new caps in advance, since I know this plastic crap always breaks.
However, the new caps don't have felt like the originals.
I don't know if the dealer or factory added that felt.
I plan to leave the seat-backs out awhile, until I can confirm if anything else is making noise back there.

I also have a dash rattle to deal with.
I now am 98% certain it is the SC Clock.
When I push it (from it's bezel) it seems to stop the rattle.
I am going to try to remove it and see if the rattle stops.

I'm just getting tires of the dealer game of one trip to demonstrate the problem and then another trip to bring the car back to be worked on.
Then they just release the car at the end of the day, weather the noise is fixed or not.

Try to get your appointment confirmed, so you can do the demo ride and drop-off at the same time.
Old 06-20-2014 | 05:39 PM
pvr
Instructor

I have the sunroof rattle, but will wait a bit to see if anything else starts rattling as it did not rattle during the first 100 miles or so.
Old 06-21-2014 | 12:06 AM
bammb
Advanced

I just bought a CPO 991 C2S this week. I noticed a squeak around the instrument cluster when driving home from the dealership. Sounds like two pieces of plastic rubbing against each other. I was planning on taking it in Monday for some minor cosmetic issues. I will have them look at that as well. I guess I'll tell them to fix it if they think it is something easy. If they have no idea what it is I will tell them to leave it alone and I'll try to live with it. I want it fixed but also don't want them tearing my car apart.
Old 06-21-2014 | 08:25 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Originally Posted by lunarx
maxpowers, let us know how it goes for you.
I have had 5 dealer visits (with 2 fix attempts) on a similar rear noise issue.
First trip "no noises heard", 2nd trip noise acknowledged with Shop Foreman, 3rd trip to attempt repair, 4th trip to new dealer for Shop Foreman to acknowledge noise, 5th trip to attempt repair.
This last attempt got most of it and they lubed up the center hinges.
A little of that creaking noise still remains.

I'm just getting tires of the dealer game of one trip to demonstrate the problem and then another trip to bring the car back to be worked on.
Then they just release the car at the end of the day, weather the noise is fixed or not.

Try to get your appointment confirmed, so you can do the demo ride and drop-off at the same time.
Classic delaying tactics. Drag it out so that you give up.
Old 06-21-2014 | 05:29 PM
Naushaud
Intermediate

Had a couple of rattles and took it in after not being able to deal anymore. It was about 5k miles ago now and so glad I did. The dealer was pretty much able to eliminate all except for one that occurs in the door speaker only on a certain low bass frequency. Much easier to live with.
Old 06-21-2014 | 05:34 PM
CPTAmericaMV
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexVan
Chuck, are you off your meds again? What year was it that you last took a new 911 (any 911 not just the 991 series) in for a rattle? Please enlighten us. Why do you continue to spew your nonsense when you don't even own the cars in this specific forum on Rennlist? Members here want real advice and help. Not your constant unrelated drivel.
+1 Chuck is a schmuck.
Old 06-21-2014 | 05:49 PM
John's 991
Pro

I had to take mine a few times to get the rattles resolved, but now all is well. I don't want any niggling problems left over as the car comes out of warranty. My dealer is not great, although the service advisor works very hard on my behalf and it is a car at the end of the day
Old 06-21-2014 | 06:35 PM
Zohan
Racer

Originally Posted by CPTAmericaMV
+1 Chuck is a schmuck.
I was one of Chucks biggest critics but he is no the $ much of the time time and even when he is not he make a convincing argument for his POV. I'd be happy to have beer with you Chuck911
Old 06-22-2014 | 08:27 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

You reap what you sow...
Old 06-29-2014 | 06:11 AM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by lunarx

I also have a dash rattle to deal with.
I now am 98% certain it is the SC Clock.
When I push it (from it's bezel) it seems to stop the rattle.
I am going to try to remove it and see if the rattle stops.
I have the same exact rattle. Did you ever figure out how to remove the Sport Chrono binnacle?
Old 06-29-2014 | 11:33 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BradB
I have the same exact rattle. Did you ever figure out how to remove the Sport Chrono binnacle?
I did get it removed.
One thing I learned is, do not pull up on the SC hat.
There are hooks, that are part of the base, that break easy.
I am now replacing my base, because of the broken hooks.
Luckily that base is only a $100 part.
That SC Hat, with leather covering, is a $500 part, which is crazy
I'm lucky that part is sturdy and did not break.

Anyways, it was not the SC Clock or the broken hook pieces that was causing the rattle.
I now think it is the Defroster Vent Covers (primarily the passenger side).
It seems that when I pull them towards me, by placing my fingers in the vent openings, that my dash rattle stops.
I can also reproduce the rattle by moving them forward and backwards, when gripping them that same way.
I'm going to try and remove them today and leave them out awhle to confirm.

As for removing the SC Base (and then Hat), there are instructions, that I got from McCarbon:
http://www.macarbon.com/install_guid...stallation.pdf

However, I did not like the idea of prying the SC Base, as it would probably leave a mark in the dash.
Instead I used some string, laced thru 3 vent slats at a time, to pull the front part of the base up.
After popping it up on both sides it just needed a little more help using a plastic motel key card (my favorite pry tool) for the rest of the pry work at the back.
The McCarbon instructions were right about removing the light sensor instead of trying to unplug it. Just squeeze it's two tabs together and pop it out.

Now I need to figure out how to get the Defroster Vent Covers off
I am going to try and string pull them up, the same way as I did the SC Base, and see what happens.
Old 06-29-2014 | 12:50 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

I got the Passenger Side Defroster Vent off.
My method must be bad, because 3 out of 7 retaining tabs broke off (the front most 3).
So I need to replace this part now (luckily it's only $62).
It really makes me wonder if dealers break these tabs too, but just never tell you and put back the broken parts.
I don't see how the part can come out, without the tabs breaking, as the retention clips are just too strong.

Anyways, I can still hear the dash knock, on the right side, when I pull the dash towards me.
The sound seems to be comming from under the airbag cover or somewhere in that vicinity.

At least now I can demonstrate the sound to the dealer, so I think I need to take it to them for the rest of the work.
Old 07-03-2014 | 04:03 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Just to give an update. I made an appointment and brought the car in and the service advisor was very friendly, but said he probably wouldn't get to the car for a few days. Also said he probably wouldn't get me a loaner despite being told on the phone I'd get one. When I asked what the point of the appointment was and why I was told I'd get a loaner he said he might get to it that day and did get me a loaner. Kind of odd.

When the car was ready he said they found several places that were rattling and put some kind of Porsche foam in the offending areas. I was skeptical, but after driving it for a week or so 99% of the rattles are gone. So aside from having to lose my car for a few days and drive around in an SUV like a soccer mom I'm happy with the result and really enjoy driving the 911 a lot more.
Old 07-03-2014 | 04:27 PM
chance
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by socalsteve
My dealership service adviser takes a drive with me...hears the rattle...gives me a loaner....come back the next day or the day after that...pick up car....rattle gone.

Whats with the paranoia?
my experience as well.
Old 07-04-2014 | 11:35 AM
ggreg911
Racer

Originally Posted by BradB
I had what sounded like a front dash rattle...it only would happen after being out in the sun for awhile. I eventually determined it was inside the frunk. It ended up being the plastic piece (the long removable cover) nearest the windshield. As the plastic would warm up, the material became more pliable and was contacting metal underneath.

I removed the plastic piece and attached felt pads to contact point. Problem solved.

Now I just have the sunroof rattle....

Quick Reply: Question about bringing the car in for rattling noise