991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about bringing the car in for rattling noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014 | 09:00 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

My dealer has fixed the occassional rattle- once the source was figured out. Not always easy with all the superlightweight trim, components, insulaton and fasteners in the new cars.

But i can face the fact that it is not as rock solid as my mythical old 911 was after the same structures were manufactured for eons. Hell, I would not bang on my dashboard today as I used to do to demonstrate how solid for fear of damaging a sensor, changeover valve, or the little guy in there who does the shifting.
Old 06-18-2014 | 09:27 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I know it's tough to tell where noises are coming from in a car. I can only describe the sound and where it sounds like it's coming from. The one sound I can positively identify. The more annoying one sounds a lot like if you tap on the area where the lights and garage door opener are or if you open and close the visor. I tried having a passenger hold them down and it still made the noise. It's definitely worse over bumps.

I know it's "just a car", but I spent a lot of time researching, waiting, and dreaming about it and the rattles really annoy me, but I also don't want to create additional problems.
It sounds like your headliner clips.
A lot of people had this issue (including myself), and the problem was fixed with no issues.

Do you have a sunroof? There were also some rattles associated with sunroofs.

When I said "it's just a car", I wasn't minimizing the intrinsic value of your purchase but rather the advice and school of thought that fixing a rattle will potentially open you up to a host of problems.

They're going to use strips of anti-squeak felt tape and replace some clips.

Living with rattles in such an expensive car is simply out of the question.
Old 06-18-2014 | 09:41 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Originally Posted by duxsi
Take the damn thing in . Contrary to popular belief it is just a car..
+1 on that. Also when I have issues, I take the mechanic for a ride, not the service advisor.

Originally Posted by LexVan
Chuck, are you off your meds again? ... Members here want real advice and help.

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
But i can face the fact that it is not as rock solid as my mythical old 911 was...
Not as rock solid maybe in some regards, but the new 991 chassis is a lot stiffer and I would suggest better assembled (high tech glues, better welding, etc.) than the older cars.

Anyway, my comment to the OP is: just take the car in and ask them nicely if they would be so kind as to resolve your complaints. If you can identify (I know it's very difficult to do) the cause of the noise or better yet, the location, more the better.

Slightly OT: I had a new BMW that had a very annoying rattle in it. It's tough to pinpoint the source of a noise in a car, but I wanted to do so before I brought it in. I finally determined that it was coming from the trunk.

I had put in a maglite back there, in a very tight holder. But it was the batteries inside the flashlight that were rattling in the case that cause the noise.

My point is: sometimes it's the most obvious thing that you'd not think of, like spare change in the ashtray, or the kid's water bottle that rolled under the seat.
Old 06-18-2014 | 01:00 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Chuck, are you off your meds again? ... Members here want real advice and help. Not your constant unrelated drivel.
Uncalled-for, IMO. I don't know what his experience is and neither do you. I know my experience -- yes, with Porsches, if you must know -- is closer to his. If you don't have confidence in your local dealer for whatever reason -- and there are occasionally some VERY valid reasons -- you need to find another dealer or independent mechanic that you do trust.

Some of you guys have apparently led a charmed life when it comes to dealer service departments. Your experience is not universal.
Old 06-18-2014 | 01:28 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Uncalled-for, IMO. I don't know what his experience is and neither do you.
That's your opinion. I respect that.

We know for a fact Chuck911 has no experience with the 991 series 911. Yet he goes on and on with his drivel and recommendations for Rennlist members here seeking knowledge and information. It's getting stale.

In fact we have no clue what 911 he owns since he continually evades the question.

Bottom line, it matters not what he actually owns, but matters a ton to be dishing out silly advice about a platform he has no experience owning nor driving.

Now, if he wants to come online and now tell us he actually owns a 991 variant, I say " cool and welcome aboard". If not, then just shut the front door.
Old 06-18-2014 | 01:55 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

We know for a fact Chuck911 has no experience with the 991 series 911. Yet he goes on and on with his drivel and recommendations for Rennlist members here seeking knowledge and information. It's getting stale.

Agreed. He's given me enough grief in the past that I'm now more likely to not post a question to this forum just so I don't have to deal with his response and the sh$t-storm that follows.

To the original poster - Take your car in! I have the best outcomes when I can get a tech to ride with me, or make him drive with me along for the ride. It keeps the "well, it works for me" syndrome from happening.
Old 06-18-2014 | 03:05 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Pandora's box has apparently been opened..
Old 06-18-2014 | 03:07 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by duxsi
Pandora's box has apparently been opened..
why don't ya scooch on over there on that bench son...
Old 06-18-2014 | 03:23 PM
Zohan
Racer

Used my kids foam stickers to make the door rattle go away

Old 06-18-2014 | 03:28 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zohan
Used my kids foam stickers to make the door rattle go away
theres the DIY spirit! i have a week then to find a leather foam pad which will complement my exquisite and very gentlemanly interior. (i wish there was a smilie with a top hat and monocle...)
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2014 | 03:36 PM
Zohan
Racer

Talking

Chuck, are you off your meds again? What year was it that you last took a new 911 (any 911 not just the 991 series) in for a rattle? Please enlighten us. Why do you continue to spew your nonsense when you don't even own the cars in this specific forum on Rennlist? Members here want real advice and help. Not your constant unrelated drivel.
I find chucks rant very amusing, and who will I argue with is he goes away?
Old 06-18-2014 | 03:38 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

I find it unfortunate that the forums are divided into such narrow categories. I find experience from all 911 valuable. Not just from people with 991, let alone just 991 Carreras.

I value Chuck's post.
Old 06-18-2014 | 06:07 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

I find some of chucks posts insulting, some condescending, some amusing, some highly intelligent... Either way the journey is exciting when he is on board and i would rather hear his voice and argue with it than to fall deaf... Maybe we should ask him to rename himself 'chuck 1E' and enjoy the ride...
Old 06-18-2014 | 07:11 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Geeesh. Take a deep breath. Open the PSE and grin.
Old 06-18-2014 | 07:31 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

I guess there is more than 1 chuck in the world lol... Sorry chuckbdc.... Will take your advice in t-8 hours !

Quick Reply: Question about bringing the car in for rattling noise