Sponsored by:

GEICO insurance

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014 | 01:39 PM
CPTAmericaMV
Instructor

Originally Posted by pfan
Last I checked mine was about $7k.
I had no idea we had that! I've been with USAA for 10 years now.
Old 06-01-2014 | 08:45 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Speaking of USAA, have any of you long-timers considered leaving and cashing out your subscriber savings account? As much as I like doing business with them I may make a move and harvest the $$$.
How do I find out if I've got this "savings account" and if so, how much is in it? I get a refund nearly every year, but maybe in some states it's retained?
Old 06-01-2014 | 12:26 PM
pfan
Pro

Originally Posted by MJBird993
How do I find out if I've got this "savings account" and if so, how much is in it? I get a refund nearly every year, but maybe in some states it's retained?
Log in and select "view documents" from the "my account tools menu". You should see a subscriber account annual statement issued in Feb.
Old 06-02-2014 | 07:59 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

You should see a subscriber account annual statement issued in Feb.
Thanks Fan. Unfortunately, no, there is no such statement for me. Lots of bills, 1099s, etc.

I wonder if it's because I'm under the subsidiary for former dependents of military instead of actually being a veteran (and therefore part of the "real" USAA)?
Old 06-03-2014 | 03:23 PM
handful
Instructor

Switched to Geico a year ago and I'm saving a substantial amount of money over my previous coverage with Farmers. I shopped around and they had the best rates. They got it all: umbrella, homeowners and car insurance. Last Friday I just added mechanical breakdown insurance for an extra $7 a month.
A couple of years ago, somebody hit my Jag who was insured with Geico and there were no problems with the repairs and service.
Old 06-04-2014 | 02:43 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

A good friend of mine with Geico (full coverage) got caught in a huge flash flood that was local front page news, and ended up flooding and totaling her new, still financed car. They refused to pay, citing some burried technicality. A close relative has also had very poor service from them and a stubborn reluctance to pay fairly basic claims. I'll never use them.
Old 06-04-2014 | 05:13 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by StudGarden
A good friend of mine with Geico (full coverage) got caught in a huge flash flood that was local front page news, and ended up flooding and totaling her new, still financed car. They refused to pay, citing some burried technicality. A close relative has also had very poor service from them and a stubborn reluctance to pay fairly basic claims. I'll never use them.
Did she have Comprehensive coverage? Comprehensive covers loss from flood minus the deductable. I have GEICO and just read my policy and it spefically covers loss from flood, along with a long list of other events such as fire, theft, vandalism, etc. as part of Comprehensive coverage. If she does have Comprehensive coverage, I would like to know what the technacality could be that would void her coverage. No one, including insurance comanies, can arbitrarily refuse to honor a contractural commitment. If it were me, I'd have a lawyer check into it.

Last edited by fast1; 06-04-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-04-2014 | 08:04 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Been in the insurance biz many years.

1) You get what you pay for (usually).
2) Read your policy carefully. Look for the section that deals with replacement of parts in the event of an accident/claims that requires repair. Many insurance companies have language that allow them to use functionally equivalent parts ie. not OE.
3) Many times your claim experience is due to the particular adjuster assigned. When busy, insurance companies assign your claim to a contract adjuster that would rather impress the insurance company than pay a fair claim.
4) Remember you have rights and don't have to accept the offer.
5) There are different distribution channels for insurance (agent/broker) each with benefits.

I could go on...... shop wisely..
Old 06-04-2014 | 09:08 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Michael_s
Been in the insurance biz many years.

1) You get what you pay for (usually).
2) Read your policy carefully. Look for the section that deals with replacement of parts in the event of an accident/claims that requires repair. Many insurance companies have language that allow them to use functionally equivalent parts ie. not OE.
3) Many times your claim experience is due to the particular adjuster assigned. When busy, insurance companies assign your claim to a contract adjuster that would rather impress the insurance company than pay a fair claim.
4) Remember you have rights and don't have to accept the offer.
5) There are different distribution channels for insurance (agent/broker) each with benefits.

I could go on...... shop wisely..
Couldn't agree more with all that you posted, especially point 2. I wonder how many people actually read their policy coverage provisions.
Old 06-05-2014 | 10:04 AM
ppbskis
Racer

I have had Geico for almost 10 years and I do not have 1 complaint. My premiums average about $120.00/mo/vehicle. I have never ever had a claim denied and once while my son was attending college he was hit in Massachusetts by an uninsured motorist. Geico totally honored my claim and though I was charged a $ 500.00 deductible they went after the responsible party in the accident and sent me a check reimbursing my deductible.
What astounds me is that people who have Geico don't even know they have MBI which is mechanical Breakdown Insurance and towing buried in the policy. I had a boss who's son drove a MB 500 SL one day I asked whewre the car was and he said that his air suspension failed and could not drive itI had told him if he had Geico it would be covered under MBI, he then said he had Geico and was checking into it. Next conversation was he was covered and the car had a repair over $ 5,000.00 covered with only a small ($ 2or 300 deductible.If you want to save 10 bucks then decline it. I highly recommend the MBI- rules of the MBI are you must purchase the vehicle new or it must be no more than 1 or 2 years old when purchased.
My wife had a new E500 4matic Mercedes that had a transfer case issue that was out of the Manufacturers warranty period. Geico stepped up to the plate and paid over $ 3,500.00 for the repair with very little action necessary on my part.
If you have a high end expensive car and plan on keeping it out of warranty I would highly recommend this coverage.
By the way I am no way affiliated other than being a happy policy holder of Geico.
Old 06-05-2014 | 02:29 PM
sdemw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ppbskis
I have had Geico for almost 10 years and I do not have 1 complaint. My premiums average about $120.00/mo/vehicle. I have never ever had a claim denied and once while my son was attending college he was hit in Massachusetts by an uninsured motorist. Geico totally honored my claim and though I was charged a $ 500.00 deductible they went after the responsible party in the accident and sent me a check reimbursing my deductible. What astounds me is that people who have Geico don't even know they have MBI which is mechanical Breakdown Insurance and towing buried in the policy. I had a boss who's son drove a MB 500 SL one day I asked whewre the car was and he said that his air suspension failed and could not drive itI had told him if he had Geico it would be covered under MBI, he then said he had Geico and was checking into it. Next conversation was he was covered and the car had a repair over $ 5,000.00 covered with only a small ($ 2or 300 deductible.If you want to save 10 bucks then decline it. I highly recommend the MBI- rules of the MBI are you must purchase the vehicle new or it must be no more than 1 or 2 years old when purchased. My wife had a new E500 4matic Mercedes that had a transfer case issue that was out of the Manufacturers warranty period. Geico stepped up to the plate and paid over $ 3,500.00 for the repair with very little action necessary on my part. If you have a high end expensive car and plan on keeping it out of warranty I would highly recommend this coverage. By the way I am no way affiliated other than being a happy policy holder of Geico.
+1 very similar experience over 15 years in multiple states .
Old 06-05-2014 | 02:49 PM
handful
Instructor

The covered vehicle (MBI) can have no more than 15,000 miles at the time of coverage. The MBI policy cost me an additional $7/mo.

Quick Reply: GEICO insurance