Sponsored by:

Rattling when driving over sightly bumpy roads/highway

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 10:42 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rattling when driving over sightly bumpy roads/highway

I have a new 991 C4S and as great as the car has been around town, I've noticed that over bumpy roads or on the highway it rattles a lot, which is extremely annoying and aggravating.

When I drive on a road with a few bumps or take it on the highway it's so bad that I can hear it over the radio and I can't focus on anything else. It almost sounds like it's coming from the passenger visor area, but if feels like the whole center console to the right side is vibrating when I'm going quickly over a slightly bumpy or uneven road.

When I'm stopped or driving below 40 in normal driving I don't really hear anything.

What can I do?
Old 05-19-2014, 11:14 PM
DPC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be back at the dealer so fast…
I had a 09 JCW Mini which took 3 years to get rid of the rattles, then I got rid of the car as I had had enough. I have a 991 C2 coming in 1 1/2 weeks and potential rattles are my only worry.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:52 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Take it to the dealer...as long as you can recreate the rattle for them it will be covered under warranty and they will give you a loaner...my dealership is really great in finding and getting rid of rattles...they kept my 997.2 for 4 days until they got rid of them.

Good luck! And yes, they are truly annoying!!!
Old 05-21-2014, 01:16 AM
jfeger
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a little bit of passenger side dash rattle, but only when the radio is off and I am nursing the throttle/car through my neighborhood at 15-20MPH. I decided it doesn't bother me enough to risk creating a bigger rattle with dealership troubleshooting. Good luck with your situation, as it sounds much worse than mine.

I only have 300 miles on the car, so my opinion might change soon.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:28 AM
Flowmacks
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jfeger
I have a little bit of passenger side dash rattle, but only when the radio is off and I am nursing the throttle/car through my neighborhood at 15-20MPH. I decided it doesn't bother me enough to risk creating a bigger rattle with dealership troubleshooting. Good luck with your situation, as it sounds much worse than mine. I only have 300 miles on the car, so my opinion might change soon.
I have the passenger side dash rattle as well. It started after bringing it in for PCM rebooting issue. Dives me crazy. To the OP, yeah I have other rattles and squeaks as well. First Porsche, don't know if this is just how it is.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:35 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a FVD x-pipe and leave the windows down - problem solved.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:39 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

the way the 911 is built, it is on 50-60 year old chassis/ body / engine location technology that has been continuously developed , improved and refined to what it is today : an iconic, special vehicle ...BUT ...the downside is that this structural architecture is not as torsionally stable as some modern clean sheet sports cars , so therefore, firmer spring and shock rates must make up the difference to maintain optimum handling , leading to more creaks and rattles in day to day driving

contrast that to , say, a modern sports car on the opposite spectrum with a carbon tub, which is so rigid that spring and shock rates can be spec'd with a softer ,more compliant ride but still handle well .....with the plus of fewer potential shake related rattles appearing over time

annoying creaks / rattles with 911s are just part of the ownership experience..has always been so, but how it affects one depends on ones degree of OCD-ness
Old 05-21-2014, 01:02 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had a few rattles. The dealer always does a great job taking care of it under warranty.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:12 PM
sc8526
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this sounds too simple - but what tire pressures are you running? You refer to your C4S as "new". When my MY13 991 was new, the track pressures in the pirellis made even the drive home a bumpy experience.

Rattles aside, I know the level of creaks, bumps, and groans is greatly affected by PSI. As reference, I've settled on 34F/38R as my sweet spot, though you'll find your own personal preference.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:10 PM
hawc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
The way the 911 is built, it is on 50-60 year old chassis/body/engine location technology that has been continuously developed, improved and refined to what it is today - an iconic, special vehicle. But the downside is that this structural architecture is not as torsionally stable as some modern clean sheet sports cars.
The 991 is a completely 'clean sheet' from the 997.2. Yes the engine is still in the back but that has nothing to do with how stiff they can make the chassis.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:10 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by hawc
The 991 is a completely 'clean sheet' from the 997.2. Yes the engine is still in the back but that has nothing to do with how stiff they can make the chassis.
not entirely true, there is only so much they can do ....dont buy the PR releases

( this was told me by someone who worked at Porsche a few years ago ...and if what you say WERE true, rattles would have disappeared by these past few years , and has nothing to do with build quality per se , but more with certain harmonics not being fully damped out for the chassis performance they spec for ever increasingly more powerful and faster cornering models the market expects)
Old 05-21-2014, 04:28 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sc8526
I know this sounds too simple - but what tire pressures are you running? You refer to your C4S as "new". When my MY13 991 was new, the track pressures in the pirellis made even the drive home a bumpy experience.

Rattles aside, I know the level of creaks, bumps, and groans is greatly affected by PSI. As reference, I've settled on 34F/38R as my sweet spot, though you'll find your own personal preference.
I just got the car a few weeks ago and have about 400 miles on it. When I get the chance I'll check the tire pressure.

I somehow convinced a friend to drive the car while I listened for noises and found 2 culprits.

1. The passenger door makes a lot of noise and vibrates if you hit down on it and rattles while the car is driving
2. The plastic piece in the middle of the backseat just above the tunnel where the seat backs fold down makes a lot of noise over bumps

My fear is that if I bring it to the dealer they'll take everything apart and make it worse, like with Nick Murray's car. Any simple fixes I can try myself first?
Old 05-21-2014, 07:59 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

"I know Nick Murray... Nick Murray was my friend.. Maxpowers - You're no Nick Murray"

On a serious note, it's probably your headliner clips as well as the passenger side speaker harness hitting the inner door panel.

All they'll do is go crazy with the felt tape and add some rubber bumpers if required.

Nicks issues were rare and extreme and they certainly didn't start with a rattle..

Take it in, be specific and take a drive with the Service Adviser to pinpoint the noises. (Mornings are always better as the rattling parts haven't expanded with the heat, thereby reducing the noises).

Good luck..

PS. A user on another forum literally sat in the passenger seat with his feet on the dash and pushed as hard as he felt comfortable doing, and snapped a rattling dash in place. He apparently heard a pop and hasn't had a dashboard rattle since.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:11 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by socalsteve
Take it to the dealer...as long as you can recreate the rattle for them it will be covered under warranty and they will give you a loaner...my dealership is really great in finding and getting rid of rattles...they kept my 997.2 for 4 days until they got rid of them.

Good luck! And yes, they are truly annoying!!!
Who is your dealer?
Porsche of San Diego is not very helpful, so I want to try another dealer.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Porsche Jeff
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I took my 991 to the dealer for a very annoying rattle. They said they fixed it. I picked up the car 3 days later and as I drove out of the dealership lot, it was still making the same rattle. I asked to take a service tech with me for a test drive so I could point out the rattle. It was the driver side visor and they replaced it. Rattle gone. Only 6 days and 2 visits at the dealership (note the sarcasm) to find the problem.

Quick Reply: Rattling when driving over sightly bumpy roads/highway