Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who owns your car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 07:50 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 435 Likes on 191 Posts

I suppose the new question may be: who owns the LLC? A judgment against the owner may be enforced against the owner's interest in the LLC. Answers are insurance and prudent driving behavior
Old 05-14-2014, 12:36 PM
drandall
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zohan
I got 250/500k coverage on the cars What dose umbrella do for you?
If you (or the owner of the car) are sued for more than the limits of your policy, your insurance carrier may ask you to secure your own defense for the amount in excess of the policy limits. The umbrella policy would provide defense if the demand is for more than the underlying policy up up use limits of the umbrella. Personally, I see that as the real benefit of the umbrella policy.

Insurance coverage on the car is typically primary (pays first) before coverage on the operator. I suggest that you check with your agent or broker to be certain that the owner of the car is properly covered on the policy and that umbrella limits are appropriate for your assets and exposure.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:37 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Zohan
I was advised by my attorney to have my cars transferred in to separate LLC as it is a asset but also can be a liability.
That's gotta be the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week.

Lawyers must think that everyone gets sued every day, just like Dentists think that everyone is walking around with cavities and in need of teeth straightening. It's what they see all day, so it messes up their perspective.

BTW, I have nothing against lawyers or dentists.

My advice, to echo others' comments: get an umbrella policy. That's what I did, even back when I had my own company and could do stuff like that. I only had cars in the company name when I used them for business purposes.

Last edited by MJBird993; 05-16-2014 at 09:38 AM. Reason: speling
Old 05-18-2014, 07:54 PM
DK964T
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An umbrella policy should do the trick. No need to create more billable hours for the dude.

Quick Reply: Who owns your car?