Sponsored by:

Service Campaign Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 05:53 PM
rlhyde
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Service Campaign Question

Last week I had my 2013 Porsche Carrara S C2 Coupe in to correct a "creaking sunroof." To begin with Porsche did a great job and corrected the problem. As it turns out, it was not the sunroof, but something to do this the insulation coming loose which caused an occasional "creaking" sound on rough roads. It was so minor I almost hesitated to have it looked at, but they actually found and fixed it, so that was great.

Anyway, at the same time, Porsche did a service action. The work order says:

Type: WP97

Description: WE02 Service Action - Reprogramming instrument cluster (2 Scopes)

I noticed this changed the interface slightly for the date/time function (now I have a little map with time zones, which is kind of cool.) HOWEVER, I also notice that a couple of things I wonder about. Has anyone seen this?

I notice two things:

1) The maximum engine temperature before the reprogramming was 200 degrees fahrenheit. Now it never gets above 194 degrees.

2) The performance now seems to be more aggressive in the Sport Mode, and the car actually shifts occasionally in the Sport Plus Mode, making it more enjoyable (it used to red line no matter what on each gear, now it seems a little more tolerant for non-racing.)

Questions: Did Porsche really lower the temperature, or is the gauge now more accurate? Has anyone experienced the "aggressive posture" in the Sport Mode with a tamer posture in the Sport Plus Mode?

Are there any other changes? (I am sure there are - but I have not yet experienced them.)
Old 05-04-2014, 02:18 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My temp. gauge never reads more than 194.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:53 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Same here.

The water/coolant temp climbs to 194 deg. F and stays there regardless of the ambient temp outside. The oil temp display still operates like a real gauge like it should.

It'll climb up as high as 220 if the car is in 7th gear on the highway at 75 mph normal highway speeds. I notice that if I throw it in Sport on out on the highway the PDK will still select 7th gear but cruising oil temp is lower by 7-15 degrees. This is all 75-95 degree F Los Angeles freeway fare.

The 194 water temp is the latest "idiot" light max temp the display will read from what I was told from my service manager. Don't know what month your 2013 is. Mine is a June build so it's almost a 2014. When I had the 10k mile oil change a few months back the car needed zero software updates. I'm sure it all comes down to the month of the build and what version software updates a car leaves the factory with. The water/coolant temp is actually rising and falling all the time like it should but for the peace of mind consumer the latest update is 194 and that's where it stays. That's what I was told.

One thing I would have done all over if I had gone out of my way was have my oil changed at 3 or even 5k miles after new regardless of what the dealer/manufacturer recommended. I waited as the book tells us and I can tell you the average oil temp in my car is consistently lower after the oil change than a few thousand miles before my 10k change. I'm certain the factory fill of Mobil 1 is breaking down sooner than 10K miles. Not having a dipstick (except the owner ) to be able to physically check the oil level and color kinda ticks me off a pinch. Not that I lose sleep over it but whatever. It's a car. Not the space shuttle.

Just typing away and throwing that out there. Sorry to the OP for going off topic.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:58 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would be nice to have a dip stick to make sure the oil was actually changed.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:03 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same "fix" done last week, and now my coolant temp is always 194 at max operating temp. It used to vary more depending on Sport Mode and driving style.

Last edited by stealthboy; 05-05-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:53 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
It's a car. Not the space shuttle.
So much more reliable than the space shuttle...and 70% of all Porsches sold are still operating.

Quick Reply: Service Campaign Question