Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015 | 09:15 PM
TheEngineer
Instructor

Request is in.
Old 12-14-2015 | 09:49 PM
Vise
Drifting

Something tells me Internet Brands won't be happy with users moving from their platform (ie. loss of $) to a FB group... but hey what do I know?
Old 12-14-2015 | 09:56 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vise
Something tells me Internet Brands won't be happy with users moving from their platform (ie. loss of $) to a FB group... but hey what do I know?
Another sub forum group?
Old 12-14-2015 | 10:24 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vise
The Facebook interface is so far ahead of the antiquated forum software most sites like this are using, it's a wonder Rennlist (et al) are still thriving (or are they?).
Don't get me wrong. I like and support Rennlist, but the software package this forum uses (and lots of other forums use, too) is generic and clunky compared to any of the popular social media sites (FB, Instagram, etc.). Example: photo posting...gah.
Old 12-14-2015 | 10:30 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Request is in... Am I worthy?
Old 12-14-2015 | 10:56 PM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by Leader
The Facebook interface is so far ahead of the antiquated forum software most sites like this are using, it's a wonder Rennlist (et al) are still thriving (or are they?).
Don't get me wrong. I like and support Rennlist, but the software package this forum uses (and lots of other forums use, too) is generic and clunky compared to any of the popular social media sites (FB, Instagram, etc.). Example: photo posting...gah.
I don't disagree at all... vBulletin and the like certainly feel dated these days. I come from the era of internet forums and have watched most fall by the wayside in the age of social media, nothing new there and progress marches on.

That said I still have a fondness for forums and the community they can build... and it is nice to see RL maintain such high traffic. I actually don't mind Internet Brands monetizing the auto forum industry either; f anything it feels better than putting more $ and never ending personal data/history/habits in an advertising monolith's hands.

I work in the industry though so my views are certainly biased...
Old 12-14-2015 | 10:59 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

All requests so far accepted...

I was wondering why I had so many notifications this evening...
Old 12-14-2015 | 11:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Leader
I have to disagree.

The Facebook interface is good for many things, but a message board format is not one of them.
Old 12-15-2015 | 12:14 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Isn't Facebook that place where 40+ year old women post their vacation pics and brag about their kids?
Old 12-15-2015 | 12:31 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

One reason I don't do FB is because between forums, emails and texts there's enough information out there about me and my activities for the "they" to see. Am I being paranoid? The other reason is I already spend too much on time in front of a screen dinging around.
Old 12-15-2015 | 12:58 AM
chio4
Instructor

Mines in...
Old 12-15-2015 | 01:33 PM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ski Porsche
One reason I don't do FB is because between forums, emails and texts there's enough information out there about me and my activities for the "they" to see. Am I being paranoid? The other reason is I already spend too much on time in front of a screen dinging around.
I don't think you're being paranoid... but really there isn't much you can do about it aside from not using the internet, social media, or online purchasing. You'd probably lose your mind if you knew how much info Facebook/Google etc have on you and your spending habits.

I was in a session where some of our tech folks talked about how they are required to anonymize data when serving online ads to minimize the creepyness factor. As in the data exists to serve you an online ad with your picture, your name/personal info, what you bought last week at Home Depot, info on your most recent flight/vacation, etc etc. Big Brother already exists and it is an advertising company.
Old 12-15-2015 | 01:39 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Facebook isn't going away...it's safe and you can limit who sees what info and make other stuff private.
Old 12-15-2015 | 01:41 PM
Harsany
Racer

In
Old 12-15-2015 | 01:51 PM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by Slantnose!
Facebook isn't going away...it's safe and you can limit who sees what info and make other stuff private.
To an extent, sure... as long as you are comfortable with Facebook monetizing your info and serving ads based on your history/interests etc. To me the external access to your info is less important/interesting than what Facebook itself does with your data.

But enough from me on this matter...

Quick Reply: 991 Rennlisters Facebook Page