Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm thinking mr. sound symposer needs to go

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 11:01 PM
planet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found a video which shows the symposer in a 991.1. Relevant portion is about 6:00 to 7:00.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:03 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,620 Posts

So I did about 5-10 pulls in sport and normal, PSE off. Did them at low RPM and high RPM.

honestly, I couldn't tell a damn difference.

Is it more prominent in the coupe vs the cab? Or at a certain RPM?
Old 12-05-2016, 06:48 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been playing with this recently. Have upgraded the stereo and wanted my 'Fline'-exhaust (Fabspeed headers, Kline catback) car to be a bit quieter in quiet mode so had the audio shop plug the symposer as well as putting a little sound proofing around the engine bay.

The sound proofing worked a little, which was all I needed, but I didn't like having the symposer blocked. It just made the sound less nuanced and interesting for me in Sport mode, and I like that Sport mode changes the sound in one way and PSE button (linked to valve on Kline system) does so in another. So I had the symposer unblocked again. Car is identical in normal mode but louder/better sounding to me in Sport, so best of both.

Also, whether or not one likes the intake sound, I think it's a stretch to describe it as 'drone'. Drone, in my understanding, is what happens at about 2,000 rpm under load when the exhaust note hits the resonant frequency of the car. All exhausts do it a bit, including PSE, but I don't think intake noise causes it (?) If you want no drone whatsoever, don't cruise in seventh gear with PSE or indeed any other exhaust switched on.

Quick Reply: I'm thinking mr. sound symposer needs to go