rear trans sound?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 10:35 AM
Vic and Ray
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default rear trans sound?

With my 2013 7MT 4S:

At low speed, low RPM shifts (up or down) first-third gears, I get a fair bit of initial rear side mechanical noise.

Kind of a solid mechanical clunk with the initial clutch engage or (more-so) disengage. Probably normal but haven't driven another one recently to be sure.....??

Otherwise no performance issue that I can perceive.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:16 AM
arch7
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How low RPM? Are you lugging the engine? Otherwise I don't think that sort of noise is normal.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:26 PM
Huncowboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vic and Ray
With my 2013 7MT 4S:

At low speed, low RPM shifts (up or down) first-third gears, I get a fair bit of initial rear side mechanical noise.

Kind of a solid mechanical clunk with the initial clutch engage or (more-so) disengage. Probably normal but haven't driven another one recently to be sure.....??

Otherwise no performance issue that I can perceive.
I used to have that too initially. I think I posted about too. 6k now and I don't hear those anymore. Guys here told me it would go away and it did. It went on for a good 2-3k. I have a PDK though.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:06 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Funny I was just thinking of posting a similar thing - I get "chatter" as the service rep calls it - says it is normal. With very low RPM. Definitely can't shift to early in this car or start in 2nd as I used to occasionally with my small blocks.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:05 PM
Vic and Ray
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cmb13
Funny I was just thinking of posting a similar thing - I get "chatter" as the service rep calls it - says it is normal. With very low RPM. Definitely can't shift to early in this car or start in 2nd as I used to occasionally with my small blocks.
Yes, chatter is probably a better description. It is most noticeable at low speed (10-20MPH) in second gear if you go off throttle push the clutch.

I'll just chalk it up to "characteristic" as long as it doesn't get worse or affect performance.

Quick Reply: rear trans sound?