Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking up the 50th today. Quick question for those w/ manuals before I do.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 12:35 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,389 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I don't quite understand why it doesn't have a normal parking brake
To make room for the new center console.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:34 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
Can the hill hold be adjusted? I'm used to using the parking brake to hold the car on the hill.

I don't quite understand why it doesn't have a normal parking brake
Adjusted how? It does exactly what it is supposed to do. Act as a parking brake on steep hills until you give the car gas, release the clutch and then it disengages...

What would you like it to do?
Old 03-18-2014, 03:28 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

BTW, I like the hill hold. This feature has been on every new car with manual I've bought since 2008 on, and I think Porsche's interpretation of it is great. I honestly believe that if you let it do what it's designed to do and not fight it, it works well.
I think most people who don't like it simply try to "over-ride" it and then stall by trying to take off before it releases. I have a spot on my morning commute where it engages every morning. I simply let off the break, move my foot over to the gas, and slowly release the clutch pedal. Timing is perfect and I pull smoothly away.
You may all return now to discussion about the manual transmission in general.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:20 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by socalsteve
Adjusted how? It does exactly what it is supposed to do. Act as a parking brake on steep hills until you give the car gas, release the clutch and then it disengages...

What would you like it to do?
It holds for a long time. Longer than most applications. I slowly remove foot from brake, slowly give gas and let out the clutch and it's still holding the car back.
Adjusted by Durametric or PIWIS? I'm less familiar with the Porsche diagnostic tools. Someone mentioned the duration of the hold can be changed. You might even be able to turn it off.

Last edited by Ceepe; 03-18-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:39 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll get used to the hill assist, I promise. I've gotten used to it, and I found it awkward at first too. Stalled a couple of times but the beauty is the car starts right back up when you press on the clutch pedal and sounds great in doing so.

Quick Reply: Picking up the 50th today. Quick question for those w/ manuals before I do.