Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

did you pay Cash Finance or Lease

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 12:27 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by vodkag
My mommy paid for it in cash
Perfect response to a ridiculous thread.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:12 PM
flatsick
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jayson
A few of the cash buyers in this thread seem to have serious insecurity or are terrified that normal plebs will get into a 911 through lease or finance when they haven't earned the right.

If you paid cash, then good on you for being in a position that the depreciation curve doesn't cause you brain damage.
If you financed, good on you for using a low-interest revolving loan that drives your credit score while you continue to invest your cash elsewhere.
If you leased, good on you for knowing that you will want another car in a few years and don't want to be stuck with a depreciating asset.
Perfect... So many tools in this thread...
Old 05-01-2019, 01:48 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by superdog
to be fair, you seem very put off by people that pay cash.

fwiw though, in my case, you are right. I do pay cash because I am insecure. But for different reasons that I think you say.

if I were a doctor or a lawyer with a high paying, relatively safe job, I might finance for sure.

but I am a small business owner. and in my lifetime, I have seen tons of wealthy people lose it all. those that had a lot of debt, were unable to get back on their feet. those that had minimal debt, had an easier time.

I have been lucky the last decade, and we are screaming busy. but I pay cash for literally everything. my home is also paid off. in fact, my rental properly is too. not because i think i am better than anyone else, as you allude, but because i am not secure in the future. as it stands, my rental pays for all taxes and fees for both homes. but what if my tenant screws the pooch? so I keep all of my costs as low as possible. my monthly nut is lower than when i was 25 (20 years ago).

and in my own way, i am glad to have the security of paying in cash. if something happens to the car, it is fully insured. if something happens in life, i can sell the car and get 100% cash back. sure, i will lose on the depreciation, but this car will hold value well enough. if ever I have to sell, i can likely survive for two years just on the sale alone. obviously, i hope it never comes to that. and i doubt it ever could. i have failsafe after failsafe in place. and i would sell watches before the car. but i think you get my point.

so as i state above, there is no right answer for all. we are all different with different goals and purposes.
Wow so sorry to hear that in era of historically low mortgage interest rates and historically high stock market gains. Paying of 4-5% money instead of getting 8-10% in the S&P with that money is just just nuts. And the real estate appreciates just the same whether or not there is a mortgage on it.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:26 PM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Wow so sorry to hear that in era of historically low mortgage interest rates and historically high stock market gains. Paying of 4-5% money instead of getting 8-10% in the S&P with that money is just just nuts. And the real estate appreciates just the same whether or not there is a mortgage on it.
dont be sorry. It’s worked quite well for me. I also keep money in the markets. And if you feel what I wrote above is foolish, you’ll laugh at the fact that 30% of my portfolio is in a cash account.

If the markets drop big, and they eventually will (imho), I think a lot of people will be singing a different tune.

I believe the market will drop. And it’ll drop hard. When it does, I’ll dump the rest of the loot in. FWIW, most of my managed loot is in equity. So I believe I’m pretty well diversified.

And to me, peace of mind is priceless. I’ve never been about scraping every cent. It’s just not my style. I’d prefer to leave some money on the table to have the piece of mind I have.

Again, as I say above, it all depends on each person.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:58 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by points
Old 05-01-2019, 03:22 PM
jayson
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by points
The idea of this thread is great (maybe without the poll though). Helps as a research tool for folks to determine what option may be best for them in their own situation (lease rates / finance offers / etc).

Unfortunately some people cant help themselves and feel as if they have to justify how they purchased their 911 to others who own and drive the same car.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:52 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

And to me, peace of mind is priceless.
Yes! And very expensive. Losing out is often worse than losing.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:11 PM
superdog
Racer

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Yes! And very expensive. Losing out is often worse than losing.
subjective. but i do understand your point.

for me, not so much. i even told my FA years ago when i started working with him that I want to be super conservative. I was okay with making small gains as long as i had minimal risk of loss. at the time, i was super heavy in fixed income. i changed that to mostly equity when i took the loot out to purchase the second home. i was okay taking more risk once i knew i was in a safer position.

anecdotal story. when i bought my home, less than 6 months ago, i had this whole conversation with my FA. and he explained that with most of his clients, he would strongly advise against what I was doing. but for me, based on my risk tolerance, he agreed with my methodology (i took money out of the markets so that I could pay cash).

i do realize when doing the numbers it can seem foolish.

BUT, if the bottom does drop, and the markets lose 30%, the people with a lot of debt in order to have more money invested, are going to lose 30% of their investments and still have all sorts of payment to make. At that point, i will likely be buying up a lot of cheap stocks and cars and watches. as there will be a lot of folks looking to free up some cash. all moot if the markets keep doing what they are doing. But how long can that last? in todays volatile world, imho, not much longer.

i would rather have safe money, and less, than take it out too late, and lose it all.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:12 PM
superdog
Racer

Originally Posted by jayson
The idea of this thread is great (maybe without the poll though). Helps as a research tool for folks to determine what option may be best for them in their own situation (lease rates / finance offers / etc).

Unfortunately some people cant help themselves and feel as if they have to justify how they purchased their 911 to others who own and drive the same car.
i actually prefer the justification and the stories. from both sides and all viewpoints. it is how i learn.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 136 Posts

subjective. but i do understand your point.

for me, not so much. i even told my FA years ago when i started working with him that I want to be super conservative. I was okay with making small gains as long as i had minimal risk of loss. at the time, i was super heavy in fixed income. i changed that to mostly equity when i took the loot out to purchase the second home. i was okay taking more risk once i knew i was in a safer position.

anecdotal story. when i bought my home, less than 6 months ago, i had this whole conversation with my FA. and he explained that with most of his clients, he would strongly advise against what I was doing. but for me, based on my risk tolerance, he agreed with my methodology (i took money out of the markets so that I could pay cash).

i do realize when doing the numbers it can seem foolish.

BUT, if the bottom does drop, and the markets lose 30%, the people with a lot of debt in order to have more money invested, are going to lose 30% of their investments and still have all sorts of payment to make. At that point, i will likely be buying up a lot of cheap stocks and cars and watches. as there will be a lot of folks looking to free up some cash. all moot if the markets keep doing what they are doing. But how long can that last? in todays volatile world, imho, not much longer.

i would rather have safe money, and less, than take it out too late, and lose it all.
At least you realize your investment philosophy doesn’t make sense. But if it helps you sleep better at night good for you.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:57 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim991
At least you realize your investment philosophy doesn’t make sense. But if it helps you sleep better at night good for you.
It's not about whether it makes sense or not, but rather about the tolerance of risk. What I'm reading is someone who has achieved financial security, and now wants to protect against downsides. I'm doing the same - the more financially secure I've become, the less risk I'm willing to take. At this point, I'd rather prioritize security at the expense of higher returns.

Last edited by Thinc2; 05-01-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:07 PM
superdog
Racer

Originally Posted by Jim991
forums can be tough. i do try to always be polite and respectful. i appreciate a good conversation. again, it is how i learn.

and trust me, i believe my investment philosophy makes perfect sense. in fact, given my explanations, i am surprised that you are unable, or maybe unwilling to see that. either way...sadly, it does not help me sleep better at night.

there are a few more things i'd like to add, but i have learned not to get into pissing matches with the keyboard.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:13 PM
superdog
Racer

Originally Posted by Thinc2
It's not about whether it makes sense or not, but rather about the tolerance of risk. What I'm reading is someone who has achieved financial security, and now wants to protect against downsides. I'm doing the same - the more financially secure I've become, the less risk I'm willing to take. At this point, I'd rather prioritize security at the expense of lower returns.
agree with you100%. however, along with it being about risk tolerance, i also do think that it makes a lot of sense.

from a short term perspective, i might be leaving some money on the table now. but long term, it is inevitable that the markets will go through another big drop. history shows that this will most certainly happen. when it happens, and everyone with fun cars, big houses and expensive items on credit, will have lost a significant part of their net worth....but not their expenses.

i will be in the exact same space i am now. and likely in super place to get some very good deals. sounds like you will too. cheers to that!!!
Old 05-01-2019, 05:46 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

agree with you100%. however, along with it being about risk tolerance, i also do think that it makes a lot of sense.

from a short term perspective, i might be leaving some money on the table now. but long term, it is inevitable that the markets will go through another big drop. history shows that this will most certainly happen. when it happens, and everyone with fun cars, big houses and expensive items on credit, will have lost a significant part of their net worth....but not their expenses.

i will be in the exact same space i am now. and likely in super place to get some very good deals. sounds like you will too. cheers to that!!!
I keep hearing this but so what? I held all of my high tech, high growth companies through 2000 dot.com, 2008 financial crisis and every other crisis you can think of. And there is no other way to say it........ got stinking rich. Amazon, Apple, Nike on and on - still got 'em.

And age 45 is not exactly get conservative time for most people.

I get the "risk tolerance" thing though. Risk is the opposite of that security blanket. I have always loved risk. That and a little investment savvy served me well.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:53 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 136 Posts

The market lost more than 50% in 2007/2008. It’s up four fold since the low. With your tolerance for risk I would bet you missed that appreciation. I would also bet that the next time the market drops 50% you won’t get in for the ride back up but will sell at the bottom to preserve your capital.

Quick Reply: did you pay Cash Finance or Lease