Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Money2536's White 991 C2S Journal

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:40 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

I was thinking about getting an M5 to replace the S4 instead of an M3. I drove one and absolutely hated it.

Here is my post on F80Post:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=957672
Old 03-16-2014, 12:07 AM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you consider an S6? That's my DD. I went from an S4 to the S6 because I needed more room as my 3 kids got bigger - they didn't fit in the back of the S4.

I know it's no where as nimble as the M3 but you have the 911. I enjoy the S6 and it served me well this winter (not your concern in Florida).
Old 03-16-2014, 12:27 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Money, for what it's worth I just went through a similar exercise. I had a manual '12 Cayenne as a daily driver, but wanted something more engaging. After looking at an E63 ( and doing an AMG event at Lime Rock last year) taking out an RS5, S6, S7, Panamera 4S, a Ghibli Q4S and a Cayenne GTS, I decided on a Cayenne S with PASM and an Air Suspension w/20 inch wheels. It has just enough of a blend of precision, comfort, utility and sportiness.

I have a 6 year-old and it's just so easy dealing with my daughter's car seat at waist level rather than bending down and stretching across to lock the seat in (I'm a fanatic and have Recaro chid seats in all our cars) is just a welcome relief. With another little one on the way and not having to contort yourself with two sets of car seats in a sedan, maybe it's worth considering? We already have the best sports car in the world, nothing comes close (I have a'14 C2S). Go for a nice mix of comfort, sportiness and utility. Love your writings and photos -just bought a foam cannon, a cut-off for the hose and Das Shield-keep the great info coming!!!
Old 03-16-2014, 01:21 AM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jeffdehr
Did you consider an S6? That's my DD. I went from an S4 to the S6 because I needed more room as my 3 kids got bigger - they didn't fit in the back of the S4.

I know it's no where as nimble as the M3 but you have the 911. I enjoy the S6 and it served me well this winter (not your concern in Florida).
I have heavily considered an S6. The interior is fantastic. I wouldn't feel comfortable tuning another Audi with their lack of aftermarket tolerance, and I don't want in S6 in stock form. For me, the only thing that makes Audi's performance competitive is their tunability. If I lived up North, I'd be all over the S6 as the S7/RS7 looks terrible. That being said, the massive amount of understeer drives me nuts in my S4 and the DSG is not great. I have little tolerance for a supposed double clutch transmission that short shifts redline by 200 RPM. I should have gotten the 6MT.

Also, they have really made it hard for me to continue Audi ownership. They went out of their way to void my warranty with TD1 after a tune. Now I understand that I modified the car at my own risk, but they just seem very against enthusiast ownership unlike BMW. They jerked me around and made me pay for an new oil pan on my wife's A4 even with a known issue of drain bolts stripping. The sales department couldn't believe I would use the drain bolt to change the oil. That cost me $1,000 despite there being dozens and dozens on Audizine/AudiWorld with the exact same issue. They told me the manual was wrong, and that I have to use a Vac. The last straw for me was partly my fault for not reading the fine print, but I was convinced that I must service my Audi FS lease at an authorized Audi dealership. I blindly trusted that fact and bought AudiCare. They told me it covered everything just like BMW. I didn't think to actually read the contract. It doesn't cover brakes and wiper blades, which are the only two things that actually cost anything. I've never had any of these annoyances with any other car I bought, so I'm done with them.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:24 AM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
Money, for what it's worth I just went through a similar exercise. I had a manual '12 Cayenne as a daily driver, but wanted something more engaging. After looking at an E63 ( and doing an AMG event at Lime Rock last year) taking out an RS5, S6, S7, Panamera 4S, a Ghibli Q4S and a Cayenne GTS, I decided on a Cayenne S with PASM and an Air Suspension w/20 inch wheels. It has just enough of a blend of precision, comfort, utility and sportiness.

I have a 6 year-old and it's just so easy dealing with my daughter's car seat at waist level rather than bending down and stretching across to lock the seat in (I'm a fanatic and have Recaro chid seats in all our cars) is just a welcome relief. With another little one on the way and not having to contort yourself with two sets of car seats in a sedan, maybe it's worth considering? We already have the best sports car in the world, nothing comes close (I have a'14 C2S). Go for a nice mix of comfort, sportiness and utility. Love your writings and photos -just bought a foam cannon, a cut-off for the hose and Das Shield-keep the great info coming!!!
I've been thinking about this a lot. I hate my S4 even more now that I'm driving a 911 on a regular basis, so any other sport Sedan is going to feel lacking in comparison. That was my thought with considering the "dad/grampa rocketship" that is the M5. Maybe I do need to start thinking Cayenne. I would have to eat my words of saying I would never own an SUV.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:51 AM
Money2536
Race Car

Default Leather Master Interior Semi-Detail

Usually I wouldn't mess with the interior until I've owned the car for a while. Just basic touch-ups every other wash, and I'm fine. After getting the windows tinted I had some streaking on the dash that wasn't coming out of the leather with normal interior cleaner, so I decided to give the front of the car a cleaning. I did the doors, front seats, center console, shifter/boot, and dash.

I've been using this Leather Master System for several years now. The other I've read good things about is from Leatherique, but I haven't tried it. I'm getting low and Leather Master isn't perfect, so I'm open to suggestions.

I have this kit with the addition of Soft Cleaner, which I didn't use today.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Leath...Kit_p_548.html

As you might imagine, my interior is always pretty clean. I didn't need to clean up before starting the process. If the leather was dirty, I'd just spray on the interior cleaner. If you're more abusive than me, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe stop eating McDonald's in your car and buy a steamer. I started with Strong Cleaner. Just put a little on the blue pad and squeeze a few times to get a little foam. I always wipe it on in small sections and follow-up with a microfiber interior towels right after to remove excess and any dirt that might be there.

After cleaning the door, I follow-up with Leather Vital. This takes about 45 minutes to dry, so I always clean a panel and add Vital right after the cleaning. This stuff is tricky. I learned my lesson the hard way. Vital can be very streaky, so you want to make sure to apply it evenly on a small section of the panel and then wipe of the excess evenly. It you don't, you'll see the wipe lines or low spots. You'll get what I'm talking about if you try it and let it dry unevenly. The first time I used it, I put it on thick and figured it would seep in and dry. It wasn't permanent, but was annoying to have to redo the entire interior.

So my process was, driver's door Strong Cleaner and Vital, then dash cleaner and Vital, then wheels/console/dash cleaner/shifter cleaner and Vital, then passenger's door cleaner and Vital, and then front seats cleaner and Vital. By the time I get back around to the driver's door the Vital has dried. Now I can use the Protection Cream. The Vital won't look perfect no matter how hard you try, but the Protection Cream will make up for most of the high and low spots. It just won't cover a bad Vital application. You don't have to be as careful with this last step. Just put it on one panel at a time and wipe off the excess.

It took me about three hours to do the leather. I took my time and was watching Dexter Season 3. After the leather, you'll need to clean up the trim. I use Griot's Interior Cleaner.

Lastly I cleaned up the windows again just in case I had any residue from the leather care. I really like the cheezy window tool I got from Griot's years ago. It really helps with the front and back windows.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

Done! I'll touch up the leather about every month with some Lexol, and I love this interior scent from Griot's. Just spray it directly on the carpet under the seat every month or so. You could also spray it on a sponge and throw it under the seat.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

I didn't do the rear mainly due to laziness and lack of use of the rear. I usually repeat this process once a year using Soft Cleaner.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:21 AM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Money2536
I've been thinking about this a lot. I hate my S4 even more now that I'm driving a 911 on a regular basis, so any other sport Sedan is going to feel lacking in comparison. That was my thought with considering the "dad/grampa rocketship" that is the M5. Maybe I do need to start thinking Cayenne. I would have to eat my words of saying I would never own an SUV.

Macau?
Old 03-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Money2536
Race Car

In my opinion, the Macan and it's competitors are worthless. It's an SUV that can't go off road, is smaller than a car, and is on stilts. So I have less room and worse handling. I guess it would make sense if I'm a 70 year-old lady that wants to sit up a little higher, or maybe I'm so fat and lazy that I don't want to make any effort getting in and out of my car.

The Cayenne is borderline for me, but only because it looks pretty darn cool. A sedan has the same amount of room and holds the same amount of people. I'm fortunate in that I don't have to worry about bad weather, so I have endless options. The problem I'm having are my strong, largely unfounded opinions and nearly impossible standards.

M5 is out so I have the following to consider:

F80 M3 is the front runner.
Used E90 M3 and buy a super charger is current 2nd choice
Cayenne is a distant, but viable 3rd option.
I still think the S6 and S8 are out due to how much I dislike my S4. I'm guessing I wouldn't like either one after a short while.
I have never driven the E65 AMG or C63 AMG. When I think Mercedes, I think: fast cars for people that don't know anything about cars. I just can't picture myself stepping out of a Mercedes. I know this is ridiculous, but all I think about is spikey hair, sunglasses that are too big, and house music when I see a Merc.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:53 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

The E63 4Matic Type S is insanely fast stock- 0-60 mid 3s. Top speed 184. Plus it's a sleeper, until you turn the key. Black optic package is sweet. I had a C63 Coupe w/development package before I went back to the 911. This is the last year for the naturally aspirated V8 - all forged internals, the problem was the car weighed 4000 lbs and had no grip. The E63 weighs almost 4,500 lbs. The frustration with them is having a really fast car that most of the time - since it's your daily driver, that you have to drive slowly. I agree with your comments on the Macan - plus the turbo has single piston calipers on the rear painted red - that sealed it off the list for me.

Cayenne S with PASM/air suspension and 20 inch wheels. Refinement, comfort, utility and a an SUV that will drop 2.3 inches when you're doing over 130 (at the track). So much easier with the car seats too and lots of room in the back for trips to Costco.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:53 PM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

E63 AMG wagon - speed (0-60 in 3.6 sec), comfort, utility (no problem with car seats, kids gear), AWD (for when the hurricane hits), and best of all, world's no 1 sleeper!
Old 03-18-2014, 10:43 AM
991999R
Rennlist Member

they aren't worthless; there is some value in ground clearance but i forgot you are in florida and it isn't an issue...i would never have bought an SUV if i didn't live somewhere where it has been colder than Mars. how about an XFR-S?
Old 03-18-2014, 05:30 PM
Money2536
Race Car

I'm pre-trading the S4 on an F80 M3 order this week. I'll make a post on what I'm getting soon.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:32 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you planning on ordering the M3 in alpine white (or mineral white)? The new M3/ M4 comes in a couple of new colors that I'm not really digging, such as yas marina blue and austin yellow. Looks clean in white (notwithstanding my E93 M3 was jerez black metallic).
Old 03-18-2014, 09:48 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by eg991
Are you planning on ordering the M3 in alpine white (or mineral white)? The new M3/ M4 comes in a couple of new colors that I'm not really digging, such as yas marina blue and austin yellow. Looks clean in white (notwithstanding my E93 M3 was jerez black metallic).
I'm settled on Mineral White with black wheels and obviously no sunroof.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:20 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Default F80 M3 Daily Driver

I know this isn't Porsche related, but I need a new "practical" daily driver. I thought you all might be interested. I went and drove the M5 and disliked it very much. I decided to go with my original plan. Trade the M3 Coupe (my love) for the C2S (my life's pursuit). Then get back into a more useful 4 door for the family when the S4 lease is up.

The B8 S4 is certainly a nice car, but the numb steering and nose heavy understeer machine that it is needs to go. Owning the 911 makes me want to rid myself of the S4 even more. I don't even want to drive it. I would probably like it much more if I had gotten a manual. The DSG annoys me. I learned some valuable lessons from this car. One, I'm going to keep driving a manual as long as I still can. The double clutch experiment, although much faster, takes the fun out it for me. The kid in me wants to be able to rev the engine in a tunnel. The other thing I learned is that I don't want all the cool gadgets that I bought on this car: side assist, back up camera, parking sensors, keyless, memory seats. I just don't use any of it.

I leased it for 36 months. The lease is up on Februrary 1st, but I'm able to sell it to BMW and lose nothing. A win, win in my book. Pre-order the M3 and get rid of the Audi.

FYI, this was my M3 coupe that I parted out and traded to Porsche when I ordered the C2S. It really was not a bad deal for me. I bought it for $65,000 out the door, drove it for two and half years, and traded to the dealer for a tax-equivalent trade of $52,000. The cost of ownership wasn't bad at all. I also got about 80% of my money back from the aftermarket parts. It just didn't make sense to have a two door M3 and a 911, so I let it go. It was bare bones. No heated or powered seats, no Nav, 6MT, no fluff.

After spending a week shopping online and weighing all of my options and after test driving the M5, I'm certain the F80 M3 is the daily driver for me. It is much more heavily optioned standard that I would prefer, but it's definitely the car. I'm going to lease it for a few reasons. I don't want to own the first year car. I would rather let BMW work out the initial issues and buy one in a few years if I love it. I'm looking at about $830 a month for my low-optioned version. Here is what I'm ordering:

F80 M3 Sedan $62,000
Mineral White $550: I really wanted to get something different than white, but the other options don't appeal to me. Plus, how can you argue with those photos above.
Sakhir Orange/Black Extended Merino Leather $950: I've always chickened out on wild interiors. I'm going to give this a shot since it's a lease.
19" Black 437 M with Performance Tires $1,200: I'll probably put aftermarket wheels and suspension on the car, but for $1,200 the black 437s look good.
Harman Kardon surround sound system: $875
Destination $925

MSRP: $65,500.

I'm getting it for $63,500, which is a deal for a car net yet released. I'm also getting the very first allocation at my local dealer behind their two launch cars. Let's hope I get it in mid to late summer. The 911 becomes a daily driver until it shows up. I'm taking delivery and the Performance Delivery Center in Columbia, SC like I did my E92.

Quick Reply: Money2536's White 991 C2S Journal