Banned

Received 5,392 Likes on 2,510 Posts

^LOL!!
Old 03-07-2014, 12:55 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great read, Money.
Have to agree on some of Griots products. Their prior orbital buffer, a Porter Cable model was an excellent system when used in conjuction with their hook and loop buffer pads. Orange is all I use, and have used literally hundreds.
On color sanding and polishing, after the wet paper process I use 3M Perfect-It products with great success, followed by carnuba.
Cut and polished a factory black Mustang that could have gone straight to SEMA. Funny thing is anyone with patients can do it............OK A LOT of patients (and a little AR)
Old 03-07-2014, 05:17 PM
AlexPorsche
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

clear bra is definitely invisible. just depends if its a full or partial package. partial would be seen from an angle. but for the most part it is very unnoticeable. I had a full package done on my car, the guys at Unique Auto Films recommended it. Its been a couple months now and i love it! They told me the bra had a self healing agent on it and even scratches would disappear. If anyone from the LA area is interested you should give these guys a call, they did an amazing job!
Old 03-08-2014, 04:15 AM
Vape NYC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all for the information. Alex, the product you're talking about is expel ultimate, which I've heard is the best. In checking Expel didn't have a rear bumper for a 911 as a pre cut kit yet. The installer who did my last car told me that with a properly installed 3M Ventureguard, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference, and that it was possible with hot water to get scratches out. I don't know if I fully believe that, but doing an entire car in Expel was out of my price range, and I found an installer who would do the entire car (minus the roof since it's all glass) for the price most people pay for a front bumper and partial hood from a New car dealer.

NYC is a hostile environment for cars and most people on this board would be horrified at subjecting such a vehicle to the city, but it's where I live and once out of the city I can enjoy it's virtues. The big reason I want it covered in 3M is when I take the car out of my park and lock indoor garage, (itself a rarity in the city) when parking on the streets people back into your bumpers often and people getting out of cabs constantly open the doors into your car door and fenders. I figure protecting the paint and doing dent less paint dent removal every year or so will keep the car in reasonable condition. And if you think that is bad, garages in the city often do more damage than leaving it on the street.

Back on track I would love to hear a fully broken in Bermester Car stereo system some time. They are well respected in home audio, and I think Porsche was very wise to enlist them to do a car system. . Many years ago Millebert used to make a tube car amp. Never heard it but I bet it sounded great, especially when the car was good and warm.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:28 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,392 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Vape NYC
Expel was out of my price range, and I found an installer who would do the entire car (minus the roof since it's all glass) for the price most people pay for a front bumper and partial hood from a New car dealer.
This is one of those projects that you are looking for the most skilled installer and a high quality product. Not the lowest price. Fair price, yes. Not cheapest.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Vape NYC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed. The Installer is always booked up and does cars for high profile ball payers, etc. I hit him with my budget and they accepted,though I. Have been waiting a few weeks for my time slot. While Ventureguard is no longer the king of clear wrap materials, I have heard from a few people that it works well. I'll post when done in case anyone cares.

Quick Reply: A 500 Mile Review w/ Opinions on My Options