Sponsored by:

Future standard Carrera S...turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 03:09 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
I'll bet they add an electric motor in the 992.
Agreed.
That would not be a bad move at all.
You get to keep the NA engine and boost it with TORQUE at any rev range right down to nothing. I'm sure Porsche can make it in a way you would not even know there is another power source.

I can't wait for this...

Rainier
Old 02-14-2014, 07:06 AM
TheDatanator
Instructor

...hmmpf

This is the reason I abandoned 15 years of ///M cars - forced induction vs NA.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:35 AM
Mcx
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDatanator
...hmmpf

This is the reason I abandoned 15 years of ///M cars - forced induction vs NA.
A few years ago I would have agreed with you.. my 944 turbo was torquey but had a LOT of lag at lower revs. 1m coupe is a blast and the torque is very accessible. I think couple the 991tt with a small electric motor for braking regeneration and low rev torque sounds pretty exciting. I'm sure Porsche will keep a n/a motor for the purists for many years..

Last edited by Mcx; 02-14-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:36 AM
TheDatanator
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mcx
A few years ago I would have agreed with you.. my 944 turbo was torquey but had a LOT of lag at lower revs. 1m coupe is a blast and the torque is very accessible. I think couple the 991tt with a small electric motor for braking regeneration and low rev torque sounds pretty exciting. I'm sure Porsche will keep a n/a motor for the purists for many years..
good point - my wife has a 135i convertible with power kit & exhaust. It actually is an impressive setup. 1M is even better.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:04 PM
SM_ATL
Rennlist Member

I am not going to be dogmatic about this until I drive one if this is the path Porsche will follow. I am happy with the PDK and electric steering on my 991 (I know. A number of purists won't agree). When Porsche makes a technology change -whether they want or have to- they usually do it well. Let's wait and see.
The same discussions took place when they went from air to wart cooled engines...
Old 02-14-2014, 05:00 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

They are much better prepared now than when they lowered compression, retarded cams and used thermal reactors and air pumps to reach the European and US regs. (At least mortals could undo that with a bit of wrenching). I'm betting on more usable HP and torque, lower weight, lower emissions, lower consumption, sealed systems with high voltage, higher prices and more deviated stitching.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:37 PM
Pcar991
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
They are much better prepared now than when they lowered compression, retarded cams and used thermal reactors and air pumps to reach the European and US regs. (At least mortals could undo that with a bit of wrenching). I'm betting on more usable HP and torque, lower weight, lower emissions, lower consumption, sealed systems with high voltage, higher prices and more deviated stitching.
Well said, especially the part about the deviated stitching LOL. All this weighed heavily on my mind (.2 facelift, possible new power train) with regards to my recent 991 order. But as someone mentioned in a recent post, there is always something new just around the corner, and quite frankly I'd rather be driving then waiting. Although I will miss the N/A engine if it does in fact go the way of the MT.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:38 AM
Aerowerke
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

You guys think we are headed towards the return of the 912? I honestly wouldn't mind a cheaper rear-engined alternative at around 65-70k.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:26 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerowerke
You guys think we are headed towards the return of the 912? I honestly wouldn't mind a cheaper rear-engined alternative at around 65-70k.
I remember when the 912 came out and reminded people of just how Porsche was the "ultimate" VW (including the refined tin can sounds when the doors closed). It attracted far fewer reluctant 356 owners and the economy minded than expected and did not stay around for long. I waited for the 914 2.0 before buying a Porsche (literally the ultimate VW), and I could be attracted to a smaller lighter <2600 lb, cheaper Boxter style car, not so much to a 912 type 991- at any price. On the other hand, a 430 HP turbo 4 in a lighter 991? I'm all in.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:15 PM
Electrico
Track Day

First the manual transmission and now maybe the NA engine.

I never figured my 991S MT was a good investment (except in my mental health, of course), but I am starting to think I may buy this one out when the lease is up.

I have no interest in a GT3 or a Turbo sans a manual transmission, don't need a C4S in SoCal ... Except for "new," I'm not sure Porsche has a move I want to make.

Who knows. Maybe models like mine will hold value a little better down the line if the move away from a NA 3.8 comes to fruition.

And for the naysayers commenting about the icon status of the 911 preventing fundamental changes ... who would have EVER though a manual transmission would be phased out. :O

Call me an odd bird, but, it may be time to buy.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:03 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Electrico
First the manual transmission and now maybe the NA engine. ... Who knows. Maybe models like mine will hold value a little better down the line if the move away from a NA 3.8 comes to fruition.
Yeah, if he could see the direction the company is heading towards, Ferdinand Porsche would turn over in his grave ...

... mit Freude.

Quick Reply: Future standard Carrera S...turbo?