Sponsored by:

991 2014 sunroof seal issue

Old 02-04-2014, 11:23 PM
Grey Palm
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 2014 sunroof seal issue

Hi All,

Hello to all! I'm new to this forum and want to thank all those that post. So much to learn!!!!

I was hoping0 to get some thoughts on my current issue. I took delivery of a 991 Agate Grey on 12/21 manufactured 9/13. The sunroof seal was coming loose. I took it to the dealer for repair. They said the new seal would not adhere and requires a full panel replacement. This means body shop, new spray and full replacement of the panel.

I took delivery knowing the seal was separating when I viewed the car on the lot. The dealer apparently "fixed" the issue by rubber cementing the seal during delivery inspection but didn't fix the issue. The seal issue seems to be a known issue and the service dept had multiple responses how they fixed the issue in the past. In my mind they sold me a defective car since they doctored the car to get it past my inspection.

I spoke to the dealer, stated my concern yet they wanted me to believe that an after factory paint spray on a repaired panel will be "better" than factory. So now my questions to everyone:

1) Is this a know issue and I'm making too much a big deal about?
2) Can I really expect a body shop to match 100%.
3) Do I have legal recourse?
Old 02-05-2014, 12:22 AM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

get a second opinion.,...

How any rubber seal failing would require a bodyshop is beyond me.

Does that mean in 5 years when these seals all start going, 991 owners will all need bodywork??

Porsche can't be that stupid!

Check with another dealer...and get Porsche rep involved..

A repaint is a repaint and it will go against you financially on trade or sale...
Old 02-05-2014, 01:00 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Seconded. That's the craziest thing I've heard all week, and I just watched Ken Ham argue with Bill Nye.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:45 AM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's absurd. The only reason I can think of is that they used some horrible rubber cement from Home Depot or something, it ate the paint, and now they are trying to cover it up.

Can you take a picture of the seal? When you say repaint the panel I am assuming you have a metal sunroof and not glass? Unless the problem with the seal caused the paint to rub away I can't see how this would happen. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 02-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Quest911
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grey Palm
Hi All,

Hello to all! I'm new to this forum and want to thank all those that post. So much to learn!!!!

I was hoping0 to get some thoughts on my current issue. I took delivery of a 991 Agate Grey on 12/21 manufactured 9/13. The sunroof seal was coming loose. I took it to the dealer for repair. They said the new seal would not adhere and requires a full panel replacement. This means body shop, new spray and full replacement of the panel.

I took delivery knowing the seal was separating when I viewed the car on the lot. The dealer apparently "fixed" the issue by rubber cementing the seal during delivery inspection but didn't fix the issue. The seal issue seems to be a known issue and the service dept had multiple responses how they fixed the issue in the past. In my mind they sold me a defective car since they doctored the car to get it past my inspection.

I spoke to the dealer, stated my concern yet they wanted me to believe that an after factory paint spray on a repaired panel will be "better" than factory. So now my questions to everyone:

1) Is this a know issue and I'm making too much a big deal about?
2) Can I really expect a body shop to match 100%.
3) Do I have legal recourse?
I have a '13 C2 991 with sunroof and the seal at the drivers front corner of the sunroof seal started to pull out (snow brush). Dealer fixed under warranty. No problems.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:58 PM
St8haus
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Having a very similar issue...what was the outcome OP??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991 2014 sunroof seal issue