Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who would I talk to so daytime running lights can be disabled in my new 991?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 04:01 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Who would I talk to so daytime running lights can be disabled in my new 991?

I saw this post on the wrong forum, but was wondering the same thing:

Here is the situation, my manual for my Porsche said that I can disable the Daytime running lights as long as its not mandatory in my country.

I live in the USA and daytime running lights are not mandatory so therefore I should be able to turn them off however the options does not exist on my Cayman Porsche.

Could the Porsche factory in Germany incorrectly be labeling the USA as a mandatory Daytime running light country even thought they are simple allowed but not mandatory?

Has anyone ever figured out how to turn them off or why the option is not showing up like the manual said they should ?

The reason I ask is because I am ordering a new 911 Porsche(991 model) from the factory and I want to make sure I have the ability to turn off the Day Time running lights .

For reference, here is a copy and paste of the manual:
The "Daytime Run. Lights" setting can only be changed when the vehicle is stationary or moving at walking speed.
The function is only available in countries where daytime running lights are not mandatory.

Press the button.
Press the button or touch the tab of the same name in the header.
Select "Individual memory"
> "Light".
Select "Daytime Run. Lights" to activate ( ) or deactivate ( ) the function.

Has anyone in the US tried this and been able to deactivate them? Please only post if you've looked into answering the question asked and not to give your opinion on the pros/cons of daytime running lights
Old 01-24-2014, 04:26 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Why do you want them "off"?

Order the LED's. The DRL's are so freaking cool, you'll want them on all the time.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:32 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Why do you want them "off"?
To be fair to the original post, he's just asking how. He shouldn't have to explain why... Sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine in forums. Someone asks a simple question and people demand reasons.

In my 991 I have not seen such an option to turn the DRL off. I am in the US.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It works on my car (2013 C4S in US)...
This is out of the online manual. I have attached a link to the online manual as well. read it, know it.
http://http://www.porscheownersmanua...running-lights

Setting the daytime running lights
If the "Daytime Run. Lights" function is active ( ), the dimmed headlights will always be switched on when the engine is running. This applies regardless of the light switch setting. The lighting for the instruments and switches is still switched on and off using the light switch regardless of the "Daytime Run. Lights" setting.

The "Daytime Run. Lights" setting can only be changed when the vehicle is stationary or moving at walking speed.
The function is only available in countries where daytime running lights are not mandatory.

Press the INFO button.
Press the OPTION button or touch the tab of the same name in the header.
Select "Individual memory"
> "Light".
Select "Daytime Run. Lights" to activate ( ) or deactivate ( ) the function.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:36 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by stealthboy
To be fair to the original post, he's just asking how. He shouldn't have to explain why... Sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine in forums. Someone asks a simple question and people demand reasons.
Mine is a simple question, just like his. He can elect to answer, just like I offered an answer (suggestion). I make/made no demands, as you suggest.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:24 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Mine is a simple question, just like his. He can elect to answer, just like I offered an answer (suggestion). I make/made no demands, as you suggest.
Fair enough!
Old 01-24-2014, 06:58 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In Canada it is mandatory so I can't help. I am also interested as to why. I thought it was a good safety feature....maybe for track reasons?
Old 01-24-2014, 07:23 PM
LexVan
Banned

Here is a pic of the DRL's on the LED headlight option (notice the LED clear corner, too). This is Rennlister's "JCBH" GT3:
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2014, 07:44 PM
kitwetzler
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

^ those LED corner lamps fit all the 991s, and are less than $100. I have them on my 991 C4S (ordered from Sonnen)
Old 01-24-2014, 07:50 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

This question was asked on 6speed a while back, but no solution was offered:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...s-991-a-2.html
Old 01-24-2014, 10:05 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Wouldn't it be simple to see if you're able to follow the instructions in the manual to turn them off if you live in the US?

I know in Canada it's mandatory, but in the US it's optional. I'm just curious if it's something I should ask the dealer I ordered the car from so when it's built it doesn't incorrectly disable the ability to turn it off in the US
Old 01-24-2014, 10:46 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Here is a pic of the DRL's on the LED headlight option (notice the LED clear corner, too). This is Rennlister's "JCBH" GT3:
Ooooh that's pretty. That's so much better than the "normal" DRL straight white line.

Incidentally, I did order those new LED side markers. Really looking forward to installing those.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:17 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

If it matters, DRL's are mandatory in many countries because studies have proven they absolutely increase your car's visibility and reduce the chance your car will be involved in an accident.

I'd be interested in hearing why you'd want to turn off anything that might increase your car's chance of a collision, especially something you as a driver do not even see?

Not interested in starting an argument, but genuinely curious as to your reasons why you would want to turn a proven safety feature off?
Old 01-25-2014, 08:49 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
Please only post if you've looked into answering the question asked and not to give your opinion on the pros/cons of daytime running lights
Anyone in your dealership who knows exactly how to operate PIWIS and have some free time to explore the menu.
I recall seeing them (default drl setting) but did not bother with it as my only concerned at that time was to turn off auto start stop from default 'ON' state everytime I start the car (and it can be done as well).
Old 01-25-2014, 09:19 AM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I'll put up one reason why…last year I went to a drive-in north of NYC in my 991 C2S. The sound was broadcast over the radio. Since the car only runs the electronics for a very limited time before turning everything off to protect the battery, I needed to turn the car on every so often, however this meant that the bright daytime running lights would come on by default - and you know how much drive-in theater goers like it when people turn on their lights during a movie!
I tried everything to turn the daytime running lights off but it was futile. I finally had to give up and conclude that going to a drive-in in the 991 was not meant to be, and finally drove away….

Quick Reply: Who would I talk to so daytime running lights can be disabled in my new 991?