Sponsored by:

Finally! My Car is on a boat.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 01:27 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Finally! My Car is on a boat.

I ordered my car, so I thought, on September 1st. Turned out the dealer didn't really have an allocation. I finally got a December allocation. I added the Powerkit on November 18th, deadline day. Surprisingly it didn't change my production date. The car was finished on December 13th, left factory on the 16th, and arrived at Port on December 20th. Somehow...they didn't get it on the vessel on the estimated 12/27 date. It went missing for a few weeks. The car was supposed to arrive at US port tomorrow, but it didn't get on a ship and leave until Tuesday, Jan. 14th. Ship is Dalian Highway. According the the ship's log it arrives in Davisville, RI on Jan. 27.

Does anyone know if ships typically drop all cars off in one port for the entire east coast, or do they make multiple stops?

I guess it's going to be a darn near March delivery. Talk about waiting. It will be almost 7 months from order to delivery.
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2014, 01:48 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

It'll go fast.

If you're married it will feel a little longer but what are you gonna do?

Keep watching that boat!

You'll love it. Definitely worth the wait. I pussed out and couldn't wait and bought a car with the only 3 things I really needed. SC, PSE and PDK. The exhaust sounds so great I don't even mind the sh*t base stereo.

Don't worry. March will come quick.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:00 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Ah, that screenshot brings back sweet memories. I spent so much time on that dang site. I'm sure it feels excruciating right now waiting and watching the ship. I believe the ship makes multiple stops - however mine was unloaded up in RI (first stop) and then trucked down.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:31 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

I believe the other east coast stop is in Georgia
Old 01-16-2014, 02:31 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Oh no, not the Dalian Highway! Isn't that the old leaky ship piloted by the ex-Somali pirate on probation for banging up and pilfering a few dozen cars?
Old 01-16-2014, 02:33 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
Oh no, not the Dalian Highway! Isn't that the old leaky ship piloted by the ex-Somali pirate on probation for banging up and pilfering a few dozen cars?

LOL..! mean!
Old 01-16-2014, 03:12 PM
genxr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this information so I think RI is the only port of entry for NA.

I'm betting my 911-50 is on that same carrier. It's targeted for a late Feb delivery in Texas.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:29 PM
Money2536
Race Car

This seems like such a long haul from RI to FL. What's the difference, just tack on another couple of weeks. I guess on the bright side, I don't have to pay for it until it arrives.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:38 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by genxr
I found this information so I think RI is the only port of entry for NA.

I'm betting my 911-50 is on that same carrier. It's targeted for a late Feb delivery in Texas.

Scroll down a bit:

"Porsches other ports of entries are in Brunswick, Georgia, Houston, Texas and San Diego, California."
Old 01-16-2014, 04:10 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by jlanka
Scroll down a bit:

"Porsches other ports of entries are in Brunswick, Georgia, Houston, Texas and San Diego, California."
Ah, might help if I actually read all the way through.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:10 PM
Patrick Bateman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Any reason why it took so long? I just pulled the trigger and ordered mine on Wed and my dealer told me March 28 it will be finished being built and will be here end of April. How come yours took so long? PS - Also a Wildcat. Good luck with your car, looking forward to seeing pics!
Old 01-17-2014, 09:21 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 01-17-2014, 10:43 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Money, my car came into RI too. The reason why Porsche ships there is they don't have port import fees. Baltimore for example has a 1 percent fee-not insignificant. The car will clear customs in a day and assuming no damage from the ship will clear processing and inspection within another day and be transferred to a carrier. Once it arrives in port your dealer can see when it's released to the carrier. My dealer is near your alma matter - so the day it left RI it arrived in PA. Logistics with Porsche is second to none. My best guess is you'll get your car 3 days after it's released to the carrier if you're in Florida.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:28 AM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
Any reason why it took so long? I just pulled the trigger and ordered mine on Wed and my dealer told me March 28 it will be finished being built and will be here end of April. How come yours took so long? PS - Also a Wildcat. Good luck with your car, looking forward to seeing pics!
AP Number 6! Go Nova!

My dealer jerked me around a little bit. I ordered in September. They told me up front they thought I would have a November allocation. I think they may have bumped my allocation a month for a repeat buyer. This is my first Porsche. Add that to the car being completed around the holidays. My car missed the late December boat which lost me about three weeks.

It's okay though. As much as I hate waiting, the anticipation is part of the fun. The only annoying thing is that if I wake up in the night, I start dreaming of driving the car and can't fall back asleep for a while.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:29 AM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
Money, my car came into RI too. The reason why Porsche ships there is they don't have port import fees. Baltimore for example has a 1 percent fee-not insignificant. The car will clear customs in a day and assuming no damage from the ship will clear processing and inspection within another day and be transferred to a carrier. Once it arrives in port your dealer can see when it's released to the carrier. My dealer is near your alma matter - so the day it left RI it arrived in PA. Logistics with Porsche is second to none. My best guess is you'll get your car 3 days after it's released to the carrier if you're in Florida.
Thanks for the info. I really wish Porsche wrapped the entire car for the open carriers like Audi does.

Quick Reply: Finally! My Car is on a boat.