Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How the Targa works...awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014 | 08:44 AM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
A super complicated and heavy roof mechanism located near the top of the car. Interesting.

Pretty neat gimmick to watch, but man I'd sure hate to be the one to foot the bill when that thing takes a dive out of warranty.

I'd rather have a coupe, or even a convertible than this, which, to me, comprises all the worst attributes of both. Not as structurally sound or quiet as a coupe, not as open as a convertible.
Agree that the coupe is the car to have, but between the. Targa and the convertible is a question of taste, I for one do not like the exposure you get on a Convertible, Targa fits my bill better.
That said, I will always have coupes and preferably with sunroof delete.
Old 01-14-2014 | 10:01 AM
fxz
Race Car

From: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Talking

WON T THE REAR GLASS WORK AS A WING UPLIFTING THE CAR ?
Old 01-14-2014 | 10:14 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fxz
WON T THE REAR GLASS WORK AS A WING UPLIFTING THE CAR ?
It won't work while driving...

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 01-14-2014 | 04:30 PM
fxz
Race Car

From: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

Originally Posted by Suzy991
It won't work while driving...

Suzy (via iOS app)
you mean the car ? or the big wing ? any net to
reduce the wind pressure and the airplane landing effect ?
Old 01-14-2014 | 05:40 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fxz
you mean the car ? or the big wing ? any net to
reduce the wind pressure and the airplane landing effect ?
Presumably the Porsche engineers thought about this, designed accordingly, and we won't have to lose sleep over it.
Old 01-14-2014 | 05:52 PM
fxz
Race Car

Personally i am aware that more than engineering at these days is MARKETING driving the
projects, so i am worried but luckily i don t drive the Targa so i can sleep well
such a powerful engine is now enough to take-off :-)
and my opinion is that is a BIG aerodynamic mistake not a a Cab not a Coupe'
Old 01-14-2014 | 06:27 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fxz
Personally i am aware that more than engineering at these days is MARKETING driving the projects, so i am worried but luckily i don t drive the Targa so i can sleep well such a powerful engine is now enough to take-off :-) and my opinion is that is a BIG aerodynamic mistake not a a Cab not a Coupe'
I assumed you were talking about the glass when it was in the roof-retracting position. Sorry...

The glass won't work as a wing, because porsche has some flaps above the sunvisors that come up when the roof is retracted. That will make the air flow over the rear... Kinda like what Mercedes uses...

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 01-14-2014 | 09:17 PM
97c2s993
Racer

A super complicated and heavy roof mechanism located near the top of the car. Interesting.

Pretty neat gimmick to watch, but man I'd sure hate to be the one to foot the bill when that thing takes a dive out of warranty.

I'd rather have a coupe, or even a convertible than this, which, to me, comprises all the worst attributes of both. Not as structurally sound or quiet as a coupe, not as open as a convertible.
Agreed...Gotta love Porsche for the innovation and the risk! Love the look and the mechanism, but with all those moving parts I'd also be worried about all the rattles! They're still trying to iron them out of the coupes...
Old 01-14-2014 | 11:14 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

I like it. I like it a lot.
Attached Images   
Old 01-15-2014 | 02:08 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

That is the first thing I thought of. Can you imagine getting something stuck in the mechanism when opening or closing! I have 2 kids. Yipe
J
Old 01-15-2014 | 09:59 AM
cmb13
Racer

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
I like it. I like it a lot.
Those are GREAT pics!
Old 01-15-2014 | 11:02 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

That is one way to look at it, others will say it combines both positive features of the Coupe and Cab, and those will be the ones that buy it. I do not think this is any more complicated then a Cabrio top and I bet it does not weigh much more either, but you get a Real Open top and Coupe Visibility. Also that Targa hoop is designed to make it drive as structurally sound as the Coupe.

I love it!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2014 | 11:05 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
That is the first thing I thought of. Can you imagine getting something stuck in the mechanism when opening or closing! I have 2 kids. Yipe
J
It would probably be the same as getting something stuck in the mechanism in a Cabrio. What would you get stuck? Imagine if you closed your door and something was stuck in it, bet that will do a lot of damage also.
Old 01-16-2014 | 05:40 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

I love it, a new 911 comes out and plenty of folks come running out complaining how 450 pounds have been added to the rear of the car when the Targa top is down. Can't we ever have people stop complaining.

Note: Not necessarily in this posting.
Old 01-16-2014 | 05:51 PM
Mike Andrews
Instructor

I'll take mine with polished Fuchs wheels.....

Quick Reply: How the Targa works...awesome!