Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Many dealers are sold out on their alotment
Old 12-29-2013, 08:19 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Another thought. I don't know where you are located. Here in Maryland it gets cold. Most Saturday's I often meet friends ridiculously early in the AM for breakfast by the fire place at a local cars n coffee that is a half hour away, up a "scenic byway" that exercises the PLDS. It was 27 F when I left the house. So there I was, SPASMed, Sport +ed, Sport Chrono'd with dynamic engine mounts clenched- all totally and completely overshadowed by the heated seats and steering wheel.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

^Thats funny. Don't be practical when we're all espousing our very personal opinions as facts and must haves!

As for my must haves, you must order the car with SPASM, self dimming, alcantara sport wheel, alcantara shifter, and roof transport or your car will be useless and no fun.

If you need a fourth (4th!) power outlet and a cover for your hole get the free smoking package so future buyers think you smoked in the car, get the free black rpm gauge so your S looks like a base gauge cluster, and by all means, if the rear shelf, frunk, glove compartment, four bins in the doors, and your roof top carrier (now that you're ordering the roof transport), are not enough storage for you get the free storage net that is suitable only for a map (which we all still use). These are free after all and you'll teach those Porsche marketing folks a thing or two by gaming the system with your freebies on your $120k car.

Before everyone gets their panties in a bunch, I'm just kidding so don't get all worked up.

The plastic front lip for spasm is like $176 bucks from suncoastparts.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:53 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for all the help.

I've figured out how I'd like it configured. I'm not sure if I should start a new thread for this, but I'm trying to figure out how to go about buying it.

All the websites I've tried has said "N/A" for the invoice price for the car with options. Since I configured online I know the MSRP.

There are 2 Porsche dealerships near me (neither one has close to what I configured), but since I'm not buying a car off the lot is there any benefit to buying from a local dealership (other than saving shipping cost)? Could I send my optioned car to multiple dealerships to see the best price? I found a 2013 online at a dealership in another state that's close to my build, but other than that I'm having trouble finding competing quotes
Old 12-30-2013, 07:19 PM
cy456
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're not planning on getting the sport design mirrors, might I suggest looking at the power folding mirrors? I have them on mine. Neat thing which hasn't been mentioned (that I've seen) is that you can set up the car to auto fold the mirrors when you lock it. Works really well with the keyless entry function. Open door, start ignition, mirrors fold out. Kill ignition, get out, close door, push button on handle, mirrors retract. Key stays in pocket, workout bag, briefcase, whatever.

Was hesitant about getting prem pkg pls because of keyless entry: I had heard bad things about the early cayenne versions (cheap plastic key,tendency to break) but this new one has a solid feel and the remote works really well (maybe too well for the trunk, but that's another story)

Last edited by cy456; 12-31-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:37 AM
meine911
Racer

Max - Nice build. Most comments are covered. Don't know if you're interested in cosmetics, but having the side mirror posts painted (and maybe the front and back skirts) could make a difference that you might like versus the black plastic.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:04 PM
Joel991
Intermediate

I also struggled with whether or not to get power steering plus. I did not on my 2014 c2s. Definitely not needed. Very easy to park at low speeds!!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:18 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I also find parking VERY easy....as in 1 finger easy. I just don't see what it's for...../shrug.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:07 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Although I don't (yet) have a 991, I have been test driving them and I've owned 5 Porsches in the past, so I'm familiar with a lot of these options. Here are my comments:

- stick with the manual transmission. PDK is cool, but paddles will never replace shifting on your own.
- sport PASM is great if you're going to drive on the track, otherwise the ride quality will suffer and you'll have clearance issues, I'm sure.
- PSE is silly. I know I'm going to get grief for that, but it's a heck of a lot of money to make a little bit of noise.
- Sport chrono is more money wasted, especially on a manual transmission. You want the engine to blip when you downshift? Then learn how to heel & toe.

HTH
Old 01-02-2014, 08:33 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that everybody is entitled to their opinion, and I do track my car frequently, but I think the PDK and Sport Chrono are the way to go. If I did not track my car, I would keep the PDK and skip the Sport Chrono. The PDK is a marvel, and makes driving in traffic and on the track more fun. Sport Plus is really only useful on the track, in my experience.

SPASM does lower the front of the car enough to scrape on things, but I have added the plastic piece ($180) to the list of things that get replaced when you drive hard, like pads, rotors and tires. On the PSE, I agree with MJBird this time, but I know this is one of the most popular options out there.

After sitting in all the different seats, I opted for the heavier and more expensive 14 way adjustable seats. I find them materially more comfortable, and I tighten the bolsters a bit when on track which helps slightly.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:17 AM
991999R
Rennlist Member

I just put my order in today and a couple notes: I dropped spasm as I am personally weighing the comfort element greater than performance with respect to the additional 10mm of height and reworked stiffer suspension. The roads where I live are crap and my back isn't exactly stellar so it's a no brainier for me. I added the premium pack because I wanted vent seats. In order to do that, you need to get them heated. For the additional few bucks, it's also a nobrainer for me as you get the pdls, keyless, lighting package and auto dimming mirrors for about $800. Power steering plus. No thanks. I'd rather not further mess with the feel. Sports chrono. My opinion but here's how I see some of the major options... If you're doing pdk then do sports chrono. If you're doing manual, don't bother.

Quick Reply: Help with configuration for a new 911 Carrera S