Sponsored by:

Trickle charger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 09:13 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by VIC_50th

Curious to know if raising the car 1 cm/0.5" such that stress is reduced on suspension components is good or bad in the long run (I have never done it, but it seems to make some intuitive sense) - anybody aware of long-term testing that supports or refutes this practice? (not just opinion, please).
The fact that Porsche recommends against it says a lot.
Why? What's the concern?? Flat spotting tires???

Flat spots are:

So over blown
Easily reversible
Easy to reduce/eliminate with 55-58 PSI during hibernation

No need to lift the car in any way.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:25 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by shizzle
I don't drive my car at all over the winter. I just use a trickle charger to keep the battery charged. The car usually sits 2-3 months without being started. I use a Noco Genius G7200 trickle charger that I bought from Canadian Tire. It came with the cigarette lighter plug accessory as well, so I've just got it plugged into the arm rest, and it's good to go. See http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/no...-0111928p.html
This addresses a question I have. In my 997, I would plug into the cigarette lighter in the console. The manual for my C4S shows plugging into the emergency starting terminals. Is it OK to use one of the 12V power outlets for charging/tender?

The CTEK looks a lot like the Porsche branded tender/charger. Is this where Porsches sources theirs?
Old 12-29-2013, 10:31 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Curious to know if raising the car 1 cm/0.5" such that stress is reduced on suspension components is good or bad in the long run (I have never done it, but it seems to make some intuitive sense) - anybody aware of long-term testing that supports or refutes this practice? (not just opinion, please).
I had the joy of replacing 2 front struts one year when I raised my 1973 BMW 2002tii to help the tires over a long term storage. (4 months) Raising the car exposed the strut rods to the air and moisture in my enclosed, but not heated, garage. The exposure caused almost imperceptible pitting but it was enough to cause the seals to leak. Never again! Just don't do it.

Over inflate the tires and/or roll the car every so often.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:17 PM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Why? What's the concern?? Flat spotting tires???
Not at all - I agree with other posters' comments including yours that flat-spotting modern tires is a non-issue that disappears after a few minutes of driving.
I am thinking more of the suspension components sitting in one position under static load for long periods of time - does this have any detrimental effect on bushings, shock seals, etc?
Is there benefit to reducing that load by raising the car a small amount? Does a 1/2 inch raise expose strut rod bare metal to the elements? On the other hand, would a 1/2 inch raise be sufficient to reduce static loading by any appreciable amount? (I don't know the answers - these are just questions).
BradB, there is a significant difference between a '73 tii's long-travel suspension and a modern 911 (my brother had a '73 tii many years ago - lovely car!). Did you raise the car enough to get the tires right off the ground?

Just asking, that's all.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:33 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

BradB, there is a significant difference between a '73 tii's long-travel suspension and a modern 911 (my brother had a '73 tii many years ago - lovely car!). Did you raise the car enough to get the tires right off the ground?

Just asking, that's all.
No, I only raised the car enough to take the bulge out of the tires.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:13 AM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
No, I only raised the car enough to take the bulge out of the tires.
Good to know; thanks.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:32 AM
spar10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how does the porsche tender differ from the two mentioned in this thread?
Old 01-23-2014, 05:54 AM
robsc2s
Intermediate

Ctek differs from porsche charger in 2 aspects:
It doesn't have porsche crest/ logo and it costs less- hey it's 4:30am and I'm on-call.
Seriously, the ctek 3300 IS the porsche model repackaged. I bought the 7002 ctek ( don't know why as it's more expensive and does the same job- just me I guess). My SA told me buy the cheaper ctek instead of the porsche batt tender.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:30 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

also the Porsche tender comes with the cig lighter attachment, the ctek model doesn't You have to purchase it extra for $10
Old 01-23-2014, 10:08 AM
spar10
Instructor

figured it was a case of porsche re-branding and then knocking the price up 40% for the name. i've had mine for years and it's worked great. too bad i didn't know about the ctek though. oh well.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:11 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Just got the Porsche tequippment one. Is the charge indicator for charging supposed to come on? Mine doens't. Which port is the best to use for a 991, glove box, center console, etc? Does not have the smoking package FWIW. And stupid question but what is the red plug attatchment on the tip for? Combed throught the anemic "instruction" manual and couldn't find anything.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
Just got the Porsche tequippment one. Is the charge indicator for charging supposed to come on? Mine doens't. Which port is the best to use for a 991, glove box, center console, etc? Does not have the smoking package FWIW. And stupid question but what is the red plug attatchment on the tip for? Combed throught the anemic "instruction" manual and couldn't find anything.
Plug it into the outlet in the passenger footwell. Close the door, rubber seal is thick enough to deal with the cord), and lock the car. Done.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:34 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
Plug it into the outlet in the passenger footwell. Close the door, rubber seal is thick enough to deal with the cord), and lock the car. Done.
Also good idea to plug the charger into a wall outlet and set it for the charge the car setting (push bottom button until the car icon light is on). The charge setting will be yellow until a full charge is achieved, and then cycle to keep it charged.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:13 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Also good idea to plug the charger into a wall outlet and set it for the charge the car setting (push bottom button until the car icon light is on). The charge setting will be yellow until a full charge is achieved, and then cycle to keep it charged.
Yes, I was assuming he understands the basic idea of a trickle charger.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:04 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Doesn't the Porsche version just capture free electrons from the atmosphere and transfer them to the car battery, hence the price difference?

Quick Reply: Trickle charger?