Sponsored by:

Xpel on my rear rocker panels

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 12:44 PM
Samp4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xpel on my rear rocker panels

I just got my 2014 C4S Cab about 4S days ago. It is my first 911 and I absolutely love it. I sold my Panamera 4S to get it as it just wasn't exciting enough.

I had Xpel on the front end and doors of my car and think it will save me a lot. I know everyone has opinions on Xpel and not trying to bring that up again. I have a different question.

I understand the factory film on the back fenders turns yellow and must be replaced so I was wondering if that area gets damage and if it needs Xpel. Do you get rocks etc. that damage that area of the car? With the wider back of the 4 I think maybe I should put there. I just never even thought about it when I had him do the front. I guess I could ask the same about the back fender. Of course I would do the whole panel to keep from having lines and I have a guy that is great at it.

Thanks and will post pics when the weather is nice.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:51 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

In a year or two when your OEM protectant film yellows, THEN get it replaced. It is needed there for sure.

I don't mind the lines from the OEM film so much because Porsches have had those for many, many years. I might consider getting the rear fenders done, too, but not for a long while.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:44 AM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
In a year or two when your OEM protectant film yellows, THEN get it replaced. It is needed there for sure. I don't mind the lines from the OEM film so much because Porsches have had those for many, many years. I might consider getting the rear fenders done, too, but not for a long while.
A year or two? My car is already showing signs of yellowing and it has been just over 6 months.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:12 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

When you guys want to start replacing your rear clear stone guards, look into FD Motorsport's. They make a great product and very respected on Rennlist as a sponsor.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Samp4
Racer

My main question is - do you get rock chips on the fenders? If so I will just get Xpel put on before it happens.

Thanks
Old 12-28-2013, 04:14 PM
carrerapete
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthracite4sCab
My main question is - do you get rock chips on the fenders? If so I will just get Xpel put on before it happens.

Thanks
The area covered by the OEM guards does take a lot of abuse and should be covered.

White cars expose the yellowing on the factory 3M guards faster than other colors.

There is a trick for removing the OEM guards: heat the plastic with hot water or steam, then gently pry up a corner and slowly pull straight upwards--not outwards).

The colored magnetic guards may be a good alternative for certain individuals.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:47 PM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the xpel done to the rear rockers. My shop advised me to do it as the factory pieces are smaller. He did a great job and I am glad I did it.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Samp4
Racer

Thanks. I may go ahead as if I don't and get chips I will not be happy with myself.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Ma991
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 4S as well. I got my entire car done in XPEL and I've noticed that every time I clean it there's more junk stuck in that section the quarter panels than anywhere else. I would definitely get the quarters done.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Samp4
Racer

Thanks. That seals it. The decision and the car.

Quick Reply: Xpel on my rear rocker panels