Sponsored by:

Burmester Sound Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 06:58 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Montesquieu
I don't take possession of my 911 with Burmester until late April, so I'm confused about a few things that will probably become clearer to me then.

Assume that all of my music files are Apple Lossless (ALAC). For an iPod Classic G7, or separately, an iBasso:

1) How do these plug into the Burmester, using the device headphone jack, the device USB connection, or something else?
2) Which DAC is being used, that of the iPod/iBasso or that of the Burmester?
3) Does the car have a USB connection that powers the portable device, or does it need to be separately recharged, either by removing it from the car or powering it from a cigarette lighter charger?
4) Those of you who could choose one or the other, which would you pick, and why (based on sound quality and usability)?

The answers to these questions may be earlier in the thread, but without my car yet, I couldn't figure them out. Thanks for any guidance.
Answers 1-3 just above ^^
Old 01-17-2014, 06:48 AM
IndyRob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caneaddict
where did you find a list of all new and used 911's in the country?

If you go to Autotrader.com, you can put in key word Burmester and search mileage radius any distance, and don't put a year, just do all 911's.

Now there are 41 of which 21 are new, with the Burmester listed for sale.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:56 PM
berndt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back to the future.
Attached Images   
Old 01-17-2014, 08:14 PM
Ma991
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyRob
Here is lower cost Digital Audio Player with a great brand DAC built in for $200.

You can read the reviews, it makes a huge difference in the music.

Amazon.com: Fiio X3 Mastering Quality Music Player w/ Wolfson DAC WM8740 24Bit 192K: MP3 Players & Accessories
This looks like it could be a great solution. Do you know if the playlist will come up on the PCM like an iPod? Also, will it charge thru the USB port? If so, I'm in.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:51 AM
IndyRob
Advanced

I bought it, and downloaded 8 albums from HD Tracks. It will not interface with the PCM. You just hook it up through the earphone port. Won't charge on the usb, either but lasts 10 hours on it's own battery, or you can hook it up with to the cig outlet right below glove box, and it use a usb charge socket. It comes with it's own usb cable, looks like a basic android phone charge on the other end.

But I would say it's the least expensive way to get 192/24 bit music into the Burmester.

And the cost of the new top Burmester home system, their "Reference" line. $500,000.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/taves-day-3
Old 01-21-2014, 12:33 PM
JamesKen
Instructor

I think you guys are fussing to much over the 24 bit 192 khz downloads. As already said most HD track down loads are less then that anyway. I would argue that most people could not distinguish anything above 24 bit 96 kHz even on a home audio file system. The main thing is a good original recording and a good remaster. A lot of people will listen and compare a CD with a 24/192 remastered recording and assume it is the higher sample rate that is making the difference in sound quality. It isn't it is mostly the the quality of remastered recording you are hearing. I have a large library of HD track downloads and even with my best headphones after 24/96 it is the recording that makes the music pop. I made the mistake of buying some old jazz recordings in 24/192 and some of them I can't listen to on my nicer system because they are crystal clear reproductions of a poor recording.

Quick Reply: Burmester Sound Questions