Sponsored by:

Rollbar/seat/harness setups?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 01:20 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Rollbar/seat/harness setups?

Can anyone comment on successful roll bar/seat/harness setups for the 991? Any success with bbi vs. RSS rollbar in this application?

My 991S will be a daily driver that sees track duty/DE days as well. Looking for a high-quality, bolt-in rollbar, fixed-back seats such as OMP, Recaro or RaceTech, and a 6-point harness that is HANS compatible. I'm assuming that, while this can be done mix-and-match, certain brands work better with other brands.

Any real-world experience in the 991 would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2013, 01:56 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't bother unless your seats have pass-throughs (as they do on the GT2 seats - also stock in the 997.2 GT3 RS). The chance of the belts coming off your shoulders in a crash (because they are not constrained side to side by the pass throughs) is pretty high. The best thing to do is swap out the seats for GT2 seats, or get race seats such as the Reccaro Halo seats. It's something you can actually do ad-hoc for a track weekend. It's not that hard or time consuming. 4 bolts and a couple of wire harness connectors.

When I first got my RS, I took it to the track 6 days after purchase. I didn't have anything in it other than the stock GT2 seats. After having a roll bar, GT2 seats and 6 point harnesses in my old GT3, I felt positively naked and uncomfortable. I was tossed about like a rag-doll without the 6 point harness. I don't recommend it.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:46 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
I wouldn't bother unless your seats have pass-throughs (as they do on the GT2 seats - also stock in the 997.2 GT3 RS). The chance of the belts coming off your shoulders in a crash (because they are not constrained side to side by the pass throughs) is pretty high. The best thing to do is swap out the seats for GT2 seats, or get race seats such as the Reccaro Halo seats. It's something you can actually do ad-hoc for a track weekend. It's not that hard or time consuming. 4 bolts and a couple of wire harness connectors.

When I first got my RS, I took it to the track 6 days after purchase. I didn't have anything in it other than the stock GT2 seats. After having a roll bar, GT2 seats and 6 point harnesses in my old GT3, I felt positively naked and uncomfortable. I was tossed about like a rag-doll without the 6 point harness. I don't recommend it.
Yes, this is my plan. I realize that I'll have to switch out the stock seats. Just wondering if people are having more success with one particular brand or another--Recaro, OMP, RaceTech, OEM GT2, etc. Also, are most people mounting the lap belts and anti-sub belts to the seat mount/bracket, or are they going all-out and fixing the belt mounts to the floor with a welded plate?

I understand your rag-doll analogy completely. I was using a Schroth QuickFit Pro four-point harness in my M3, which uses the stock belt receptacles and stock seats, with the shoulder harnesses running to the rear seat belt receptacles. Definitely more supportive than the stock 3-point belt, but still not ideal, and obviously no rollover protection without a rollbar. The ability to fairly easily add this safety equipment is a large part of the reason behind my switch to a 911.

Quick Reply: Rollbar/seat/harness setups?