PSE
Heated/Ventilated seats
Sports Seats Plus
Sports design Mirrors
Delete Model Designation
Dials in Black
Smoking package
Luggage net

I'm debating on Sports Chrono. I've read a few threads here from about 6 months ago talking about the rev-matching feature (and the dynamic engine mounts). It was pretty new at that time, so I wanted to hear from some folks who have it to see if they like it.

This is my first sports car, so I've never tried to manually "heal-toe" rev match on downshifts.

Also, what is the conventional wisdom on the dynamic engine mounts. Do they make a notable difference

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Old 11-14-2013, 12:48 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

In the scope of things, the Sport Chrono option is only $1,850 on the new 991. Pretty cheap by Porsche standards, so, if you are on the fence. just get it, to eliminate buyers remorse and maybe improved resale (not that I am a huge fan about building my car's specs for the "next guy").

If you don't like the center clock, it's just a mute point, and you should pass. I like how SC remaps the throttle response, best. Blips on down shifts is nice. And the dynamic motor mounts came over from the GT3 technology, so I figure it's worth something too.

I've long said the SC option is one of the most misunderstood options and hardest ones to say yay or nay on.

Nice build, BTW.

Last edited by LexVan; 11-15-2013 at 10:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-14-2013, 01:43 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a manual with sport chrono. While the rev matching is nice, its nothing special - you can do the same thing yourself. Unless you are tracking the car or driving super aggressively, you won't even notice the dynamic engine mounts. There is no difference in the engine mapping between sport (standard on the car) and sport plus. In hindsight, I wouldn't order it again - its kind of a waste of $1850 (although if you are leasing you are only paying a portion of that amount).
Old 11-14-2013, 01:48 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Good points from both sides.

Like Lex said it'sonly $1,850. If that's not a lot of dough to you order it.

You will get it back at resale.

Like onedae said you won't notice the motor mounts. The SC feature on downshifts will make you look and sound like a stud though.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:17 PM
JamesKen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This question comes up all the time and about the only thing I can add is that I buy these types of cars used and I would not buy one that did not have sport chromo and I don't think I am the only one who thinks this way but maybe you don't care about resale.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:28 PM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

Love the option I notice a big difference from normal to sport and a tighter feel between sport and sport plus.

The dynamic engine mounts are noticeable to me. When I tack the car up and shift at higher RPM you do not get as much engine movement. I would not even give it a second thought get it!
Old 11-14-2013, 09:32 PM
jpit11
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Please do yourself a favor and get it. Sport Plus is awesome. It wasn't on my must have list but I wound up finding a car with it. I would never get another one without it.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:47 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

I had a 991 MT with no sports chrono. Didn't miss it. My 911_50 will be MT with no sports chrono, as well. With PDK? Sure. No real need for MT.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:48 PM
FORENN
Banned

P.S. I would pay $1850 just to get rid of the wart. Just can't stand the way it looks. But maybe that's just me. To each, his own.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:45 PM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who ever said that they cannot feel the difference in throttle mapping and response in Sport vs Sport Plus must be driving their 991 like a Prius. There is a noticeable difference between Sport and Sport Plus.

I would say definitely get the Sport Chrono. For me, Sport Plus is key to that. Having come from old school Porsches, the Sport Plus turns the 991 into a real sports car.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:31 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

"...cannot feel the difference in throttle mapping and response in Sport vs Sport Plus must be driving their 991 like a Prius. There is a noticeable difference between Sport and Sport Plus...."

You mean you're supposed to drive this car differently than a Prius??? As a 911 driver for over 30 years I appreciate the heads up. Seriously, I don't feel any difference in throttle mapping between sport and sport plus and my dealer assures me there is none. The car does however feel tighter and more hunkered down as PASM switches into sport mode.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:45 PM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a definite difference in engine note between Sport and Sport Plus as well as throttle responsiveness. The difference in engine and exhaust note is most notable at idle and downshifts. If you cannot feel any difference, nothing I say can change that.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:11 AM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by onedae
"...cannot feel the difference in throttle mapping and response in Sport vs Sport Plus must be driving their 991 like a Prius. There is a noticeable difference between Sport and Sport Plus...."

You mean you're supposed to drive this car differently than a Prius??? As a 911 driver for over 30 years I appreciate the heads up. Seriously, I don't feel any difference in throttle mapping between sport and sport plus and my dealer assures me there is none. The car does however feel tighter and more hunkered down as PASM switches into sport mode.
+1
Old 11-15-2013, 05:16 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

+2

If you couldn't feel the difference in the way the car drives in Sport and Sport Plus there must have been something wrong with that car manual trans or PDK. No matter.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Huncowboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't get it. A week after ordering I wanted it to be added, but my dealer talked me out of it. I have major regrets over that. Won't happen again.

Quick Reply: Sports Chrono with Manual