Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Porsche Club of North America (PCNA) worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 04:26 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by holminator

Speaking as an old man, I certainly wish PCA National and local chapter leadership was younger, with a more youthful, fun approach to running things than is the case now.
I let my membership lapse. As a 35 year old, I was now attending any of the events. The age gap was probably 30 years on average, it just wasn't my style. The magazine was great though.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:58 AM
Arione
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

While I understand this is an old thread, the information is still relevant. I have been a PCA member since 2007, I am now 33. Despite being in 4 separate regions between 3 states one thing has remained constant and a barrier to enjoying the club. Age. When I was 18 in my 944 I was not at all well recieved, it was a sunday drivers club of 911's who never got near anything considered "spirited driving" their meetings were mostly breakfast and it was an absolute snoozefest. I even had an older guy tell me the friday night ricer meets were more likely my scene. I let my membership expire that year. In 2014 I was out of college and purchased a Boxster S and was in a new state, Immediately the older crowd mentioned that it wasnt a 911, watercooled trash, blah blah blah, Issues with my local dealer (service) some how made it to the region president and I got threatening calls from the club to lay off as I was "ruining their relationship" I had to sue the dealer to get a new top after the dealership cut the tension straps on install and refused to admit fault. It got so bad that I joined a generic exotic club and when PCA held the local all club Oktoberfest, the president made sure our cars were parked in the dirt (my Boxster S and several ferrari's) I transferred due to work and joined yet another region. Turns out the President of Region 2 called Region 3 and "warned them about me" I got the cold shoulder from the board from the start but this was a huge region in a major city and I never really noticed until a former board member relayed the stories a few years later. While competing in Concours I constantly butted heads with the judges and the chairs as they consistently attempted to bend the rules of my division to allow in clones and "race cars" their friends owned to give away trophies. I had the Zone Concours chair tell me "I was out of me league and should just do wash and shine", I eventually won the majority of shows in special categories (full) that year and took the zone award for class and division. Overall region 3 wasn't too bad, but definitely too much drama coming from the 65+ crowd. Enter another transfer and region 4. Due to covid nothing was really going on so I organized a few charity events and weekend drives. A couple who had moved from Cali apparently didnt like my memes shared on FB in other enthusiast pages and began to complain to the board as "they were offended." Keep in mind none of this was on PCA boards/forums/apps/etc. Next thing I know I'm being told I cant be involved with the region and I need to step away as people complained about my content. I made a call to the Zone rep but that fell on deaf ears. The couple who complained about automotive memes started talking smack in other local FB car club pages and I guess word got out about them. But again, a mostly 65+ crowd causing issues for their younger members. I'm not sure why PCA has a "juniors" program for kids when they keep treating the 18-45 members like absolute trash. I moved my membership to somewhere I dont even live and dont plan on participating with PCA again. Instead of ordering the new GT3 in a year or so as planned I will now likely buy a used Italian car. Presently we own 5 Porsches, I see that number dropping in the future.

Join for the discount and maybe the magazine but dont expect much else. 000 is a much better magazine, but more expensive for certain.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:42 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

There's definitely an "older" crowd (Porsches are expensive, so who has the money?) as a majority and they can be just the way people are, reminds me of high school and cliques, but that can happen anywhere. Joined in '19, volunteered at a couple of events, but the Covid issue caused me to step away from everything. Most events were cancelled as a matter of course.

There's a "pecking order" behavior quite visible, as well as a "look at me" vibe, reinforced by what model you own. I'm an in the background type now, don't need to be in the middle of stuff, had enough of that in the past.

We'll see what the future brings and what the group dynamics will be when things pick up again.

Last edited by BSO; 03-03-2021 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:04 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Have been to a few tech events, local club Cars and Coffee and a few events that included spouses. All well run and nice people who love their cars. Also good to have local enthusiasts who you can reach out to for info.
I do agree it is an aged group, they have the time and $’s, but some chapters have a good amount of younger owners. The site and Panorama are also a plus.

Last edited by Penn4S; 03-03-2021 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:27 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Wow this thread is so old that I wasn't in PCA when it was posted - Ha!

I've really enjoyed our PCA Region - it's a very vibrant and friendly organization and they do a ton of different activities in non-COVID times (we are still doing events but 2020 was a little scaled back from previous years). The age group seemed varied - an older crowd for drive and dines, younger for autocross, a mix for DEs - but we try to continue to grow the club and bring in new faces. I also find that you get out of it what you put into it. It's a club run by volunteers, after all.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hurricane:
Rich_Jenkins (03-03-2021), shammerman (03-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 06:41 PM
T3X4S
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

Yes. It's much older demographic. I was up for renewal recently and debated about renewing. I decided the magazine and opportunity to try to win the car raffles are all this membership is good for.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:44 PM
Ginzo
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The magazine is a great value for the cost of the membership.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:54 PM
dannyss
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 78 Posts

I joined to get the discount on parts at my dealership.
Bought a few parts 2 weeks ago and the discount has already paid for the PCA membership fee.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:24 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

This may be region-specific, but I've completely enjoyed the handful of events I've been to; mostly autocross but also went to a couple drives as well. I'm in the Chesapeake region but frequently go to Potomac region events (primarily autocross). Great times, great folks. Also for reference, most of my interactions was while I was in my Boxster. I noticed no tangible difference now that I have a 911, and to me at least it seemed that everyone was equally part of the community vibe whether they drove a 914, 944, Cayenne, or GT3. Nothing but good things to say about my PCA membership thus far.

That said- I've actually been running into issues on this very board of late that may or may not be demographics related. I'll accept much of the responsibility because I've been cooped up in my house waiting for the weather to break and frankly boredom has put me in weird moods and that's probably reflected in my posts... but still. The demographic issues are... interesting with the Porsche crowd. I'm 42 so not necessarily young, but if I'm being honest I can't say I think and act much differently from a few years ago, and apparently my posting habits and "tone" have rubbed some people the wrong way on these boards.

Might just be me...... but I never had this problem on the 981 boards.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:32 PM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 73 Posts

Panorama magazine is excellent, discounted parts at the dealer can get you close to Suncoast pricing, and access to driving events is great too if that's your thing. Personally I subscribe for the sticker.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:29 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

PCA like the rest of the world is not really that different. People run in cliques - it happens in school, it happens at work, it happens at PCA and on Rennlist. Yes the crowd is definitely older at PCA and frankly I sometimes feel a bit outside "the group" so I have worked on addressing that (making an effort). Is this any different life in general? I will say that I have not seen anyone in my region look down on anyone else because of the car they drove, how old they were, money the appeared to have, etc. It seems to be a pretty good group of people that can fall into the same habits that the rest of society does.

I have to wonder, if a person has the same problem repeatedly, is it really everyone else around them that is the cause? Maybe but I have certainly taken time to reflect on who I am and how people respond to me. if there are similar reactions across multiple people, then it is probably something I am doing. Not throwing stones, just food for thought.

I enjoy what they offer even if they have a lot of rules.
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (03-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 02:23 AM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,158 Likes on 682 Posts

I am in it just to support the cause, what's $99? You get some cool stickers, get to use and visit the "mart" which I should do more... You get to enter in a raffle and potentially win a Porsche. The magazines I never read but people seem to love them if I had them away. Plus, it makes you look sophisticated when they're lying around the house/office lol.

Originally Posted by Wujohn
PCA like the rest of the world is not really that different. People run in cliques - it happens in school, it happens at work, it happens at PCA and on Rennlist. Yes the crowd is definitely older at PCA and frankly I sometimes feel a bit outside "the group" so I have worked on addressing that (making an effort). Is this any different life in general? I will say that I have not seen anyone in my region look down on anyone else because of the car they drove, how old they were, money the appeared to have, etc. It seems to be a pretty good group of people that can fall into the same habits that the rest of society does.

I have to wonder, if a person has the same problem repeatedly, is it really everyone else around them that is the cause? Maybe but I have certainly taken time to reflect on who I am and how people respond to me. if there are similar reactions across multiple people, then it is probably something I am doing. Not throwing stones, just food for thought.

Interesting take there. I say it's everyone else around them... So much herd mentality these days.

I personally took one good look at everyone in our local pca group's group photo. One word came to mind.... "Nope".
The following users liked this post:
Arione (03-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 06:50 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 180 Posts

Just ordered parts from pelican and got a pca discount of 10%

Once the virus clears I'm looking forward to PCA drives... like any group, good folks and others

Old 03-04-2021, 07:41 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn

Agree 100%. I think there’s an applicable quote from the TV character Raylin Givens in Justified that sounds a lot like that sentiment...

On PCA: I started getting active as the pandemic got underway, so I’ve not been to many events. A couple I registered for were great. I met some new folks who bent over backward to be friendly. I learned a lot about HPDE’s by sitting next to the Chief Instructor at lunch. Cool! I didn’t notice any difference between when I owned my 981 or my current 991.2. I think both Panorama and my region’s magazines are very good. The PCA discount at my dealership is enough to pay for my annual subscription easily. With things opening up soon, I’m looking forward to getting out and about.

Question cause I don’t know what folks do: where do you put your PCA sticker or does it matter?

Last edited by Rich_Jenkins; 03-04-2021 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:34 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

I think PCA membership is well worth it but I'm probably one of the few who doesn't think Panaroma is as great as it's cracked up to be. They're back to slipping in the propaganda (batteries are the future! Porsche never does wrong!), they've ruined the Mart and that ridiculous comic strip has got to go. Having said that it's still leagues better than the garbage the Turner's produced. Mr. Stout really turned it around- but I think it has suffered greatly since his absence.

Last edited by George from MD; 03-04-2021 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Is Porsche Club of North America (PCNA) worth it?