Sponsored by:

brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:04 AM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default brakes

14 k miles and my brakes are squeeling like Ned Beatty in Deliverance. Anyone hear there may have been a TSB on this?
Old 11-06-2013, 10:25 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Drive harder.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:50 PM
peterm
Racer

tried that- nailing brakes doesnt seem to help- powerwash deosnt seem to help
driving in traffic I feel like im in a NYC taxi
Old 11-06-2013, 05:47 PM
yxc145
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peterm
14 k miles and my brakes are squeeling like Ned Beatty in Deliverance. Anyone hear there may have been a TSB on this?
Apparently, Squeaking/squeeling is normal due to the type of brake pad Porsche uses. I believe it is mentioned in a Porsche short manual.
I was told to do a hard stop to get rid of the brake dust on the rotor. That will help.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:03 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brakes squeek also. Not in the realm of a NYC taxi, but enough to be annoying. Hard braking hasn't helped me.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:20 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

cast iron or CCB?
Old 11-06-2013, 10:38 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Soon after I picked up my 991 at Zuffenhausen, the brakes started to squeak a bit. I found an empty highway stretch in France to bed the pads in the usual manner. No squeaking since.

Flash forward to a year later. The service writer at my local dealer informed me that there is a campaign to replace the rear pads due to customer complaints about squeaking. So I had my 1 yo pads replaced for free with the yearly oil change. Bedded in the new pads and they are as quiet as the old ones. Don't recall anyone else mentioning it here so I'll check my work order for the number of the campaign when I return home if the OP likes. I'm in Asia now.

Spyder
Old 11-07-2013, 02:49 AM
DvidzBlk991
Advanced

I just picked my 991 up 3 weeks ago. After about 1 week my brakes started to squeak as well. I noticed it mostly squeaks when i feather the breaks when coming to a stop. When i break stronger, it doesn't squeak at all. The salesman just recently told me to do a few hard stops (i.e. 70 to 20 mph on an off ramp with nobody around) to get rid of the squeaking. Will be trying that soon.

Last edited by DvidzBlk991; 11-08-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:21 AM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bedding the brake pads helps a lot with noise and ultimate performance, see the link below for more info. I had no squealing from the two pairs of OEM pads at all, and minimal squealing from the Pagid take pads after bedding them in. I also used an anti-squeal compound on the Pagids which may have helped some too.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=85
Old 11-07-2013, 09:37 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My front right-side brake is squealing like a metal-on-metal nasty situation. It's beyond normal brake squeal. Took it into the dealer and of course they said they couldn't find anything.

It's embarrassing how loud it is.

I've tried many hard stops and it hasn't changed at all.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:55 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, that's the exact same scenario my brakes squeek.

Originally Posted by DvidzBlk991
I just picked my 991 up 3 weeks ago. After about 1 week my breaks started to squeak as well. I noticed it mostly squeaks when i feather the breaks when coming to a stop. When i break stronger, it doesn't squeak at all. The salesman just recently told me to do a few hard stops (i.e. 70 to 20 mph on an off ramp with nobody around) to get rid of the squeaking. Will be trying that soon.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:11 AM
DvidzBlk991
Advanced

Originally Posted by CaliforniaZombie
Yep, that's the exact same scenario my brakes squeek.
hey Zombie-The service dept at my dealership basically told me to do some hard breaking to get rid of the squeaking. Will be trying that this coming weekend.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:16 AM
DvidzBlk991
Advanced

Originally Posted by stealthboy
My front right-side brake is squealing like a metal-on-metal nasty situation. It's beyond normal brake squeal. Took it into the dealer and of course they said they couldn't find anything.

It's embarrassing how loud it is.

I've tried many hard stops and it hasn't changed at all.
Sorry to hear that the hard stops didn't work. I was told by my service dept. to try doing that. They said the best type of stops were to do something along the lines of a hard 70 mph to 20 mph braking on an offramp (of course with nobody behind you). Gonna try that out this coming weekend. Hopefully will have some + results.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:36 PM
peterm
Racer

Default follow up

Bedding did nothing- the problem escalated

Dealer tells me Im not the first- Brought it in Friday they replaced some of the brake mechanism springs clips etc and now the squeal has become much more consistent and far worse. I was better off before. I am now embarassed as the valet pulls the car up after dinner last night and it sqealed to a stop
Old 11-24-2013, 05:42 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by peterm
Bedding did nothing- the problem escalated

Dealer tells me Im not the first- Brought it in Friday they replaced some of the brake mechanism springs clips etc and now the squeal has become much more consistent and far worse. I was better off before. I am now embarassed as the valet pulls the car up after dinner last night and it sqealed to a stop

When I brought my car into the dealer I specifically described the squealing as "embarrassing". They said nothing was wrong and that I should have read the manual where it said squealing was normal. Gee, thanks. This is beyond what I would call "normal".

Quick Reply: brakes