Sponsored by:

Glass sunroof option

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:08 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Glass sunroof option

Does anyone know if the glass sunroof filters UVA and what the % reduction is? Thanks.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It does filter UVA but I don't know the amount. I wear photosensitive glasses. My optometrist told me that I still might want sunglasses to drive. She said the windshield absorbs most UV light and that my glasses would not darken. Photosensitive lens get darker by exposure to UV. My lenses only get a little darker but not nearly as much as when I'm outside the car. Sometimes I open the sunroof just to darken my lenses. However, my lenses do get a little darker so it is not 100% absorption.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:00 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The natural properties of glass does the work, with plastics it has to be added.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have no idea if they add plastic to the glass to absorb UV. I do know the front windshield blocks UV light. I am ASSUMING the glass sunroof does the same thing. I am interested in why the OP is asking. Worried about getting cataracts? skin cancer? It's got to be a lot better than a cabriolet. You can also close the cloth beneath the sunroof to block the light.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Vampire?
Old 11-06-2013, 11:53 PM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's two types of UV - UVA and UVB. Glass filters most of UVB. The UVB causes the burns while the UVA causes long term skin damage, skin cancer and aging. The front windshield is able to filter 90+% of UVA and almost all of UVB. The plastic laminate material is what filters the UVA. The side glass on most cars do not filter UVA, which is why truckers and people who spend a lot of time on the road are noticeably aged on the left side of their face.

Some manufacturers use a transparent film over the side glass which helps filter UVA but most don't to save cost and because they are not required to by regulation.

The glass sunroof is able to filter UVB for sure, but I do not know if it has been specifically treated to filter UVA also, hence my question.

Quick Reply: Glass sunroof option