Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine drone sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, so I figured it out. Haven't really been able to drive the car in the last few weeks, but yesterday I put on my winter wheels/ and tires and decided to poke around a bit on the rear of the car. Got my head under there and low and behold the clamp connecting connecting the side muffler to the center muffler was missing both bolts! Nothing can really fall off the car, but on a high speed turn the pipes can slip apart. I am guessing when the dealer preformed the recall replacing the side mufflers, they never put the bolts back in this clamp! I could fix it myself, but I'll let the dealer sort it out.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:52 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin N
almost as if the muffler fell off.
Originally Posted by Justin N
low and behold the clamp connecting connecting the side muffler to the center muffler was missing both bolts!
You nailed it! Good job.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so no more droning on and on about this?
Glad you figured it out and it's an easy fix. Merry Christmas
Old 08-07-2015, 02:03 AM
kp.sfo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so glad I found this thread, because this is exactly what happened to my C2S Cab last weekend. To make matters worse, this drone sound occurred first after I got my car back from a good friend of mine who took it to Napa with his wife. I didn't dare to ask him what the heck did you do to the car, it sounds different than before!?

Now knowing that I am not the only one hallucinating I'll take the car to the dealership to have it checked out.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:12 AM
kp.sfo
Track Day

Originally Posted by kp.sfo
I'm so glad I found this thread, because this is exactly what happened to my C2S Cab last weekend. To make matters worse, this drone sound occurred first after I got my car back from a good friend of mine who took it to Napa with his wife. I didn't dare to ask him what the heck did you do to the car, it sounds different than before!?

Now knowing that I am not the only one hallucinating I'll take the car to the dealership to have it checked out.
Update: Issue has been resolved. I took the car to the dealer, and they found that a vacuum line on the passenger side exhaust flap had come loose. They re-attached it, and the car sounds perfectly normal again.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:36 AM
GUman
AutoX

Originally Posted by kp.sfo
Update: Issue has been resolved. I took the car to the dealer, and they found that a vacuum line on the passenger side exhaust flap had come loose. They re-attached it, and the car sounds perfectly normal again.
Old thread. New issue. 2020 GTS with exhaust drone in normal mode at about 80 mph on the highway. Anybody notice this?
Old 08-02-2020, 12:56 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by GUman
Old thread. New issue. 2020 GTS with exhaust drone in normal mode at about 80 mph on the highway. Anybody notice this?
You may literally be on your own here, with the only 2020 GTS. The stock exhaust is quiet in normal mode though, maybe vacuum line disconnected from flaps.

Last edited by _RS_; 08-02-2020 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:43 PM
ducktails
Racer

Received 460 Likes on 186 Posts

On my bone stock 991.2 T, there's definitely a loud and vaguely irritating drone between 3-4K RPM with PSE on; when lifting off or coasting. I can deal with it normally (character, right) but seems to switch on and off "digitally" right at a certain RPM threshold, which is the irritating part, making it sound very artificial. It goes from no drone to DROOOONE and then back again with a feather on the throttle. I would expect the noise/drone to increase in a relatively linear way, but it is literally like flipping a switch. Now I just drive with PSE off or just make sure I am continuously running at higher RPM ....
Old 08-03-2020, 08:31 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by c4-toy
does anyone know if the sound symposer also exists with PSE cars or is it just a non-PSE feature?
I have PSE on my Targa and it has the symposer outlets in the back of the cockpit.

Quick Reply: Engine drone sound