Sponsored by:

No More Manual Gear Box for The 911?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 09:35 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
But let's not make this another manual vs. PDK thread. There are more than enough of those boring threads.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Oh, Suzy, how I wished you had taken your own advice and not responded to every Luddite's post! Now, this thread will become one more, endless back-&-forth with anguished laments about how the world would be better if we still used buggy whips versus how future technology can't get here fast enough. Sigh.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:00 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

The thread is titled "no more manual gearbox for the 911". Its obvious replacement is the PDK, commenting on not wanting this to be one of the those threads and pretending she doesn't enjoy it, Suzy stirred the pot in a a provocative manner, to evoke a response. Commenting that one is a Luddite for not wanting an automatic in a sports car is hardly a coruscation of profundity. Lamenting having to suffer through the drivel after your participation in the same thread instead of making the obvious choice is curious.

Last edited by 008; 10-30-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:20 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Us Luddites have kept Porsche alive and know their history...
Good luck to Porsche with the generation of young adults today that couldn't give a rat's a*s how many races they've won throughout the history! They'll move quickly to the " next best thing "...
Most cars have purposes : hauling family,furniture,groceries,good in snow etc...911s have no purpose,but entertainment. PDK=not entertaining enough...
Old 10-29-2013, 10:23 PM
smuoio
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 008

No worries. Ultimately voting with our check books will only go so far. Porsche will soon offer only auto hybrids and I'm sure they'll continue to sell all they can build. Some one mentioned Ferrari doesn't build any manuals anymore, I recently was considering a 430 and was surprised to see the manuals commanded a higher price than their equivalent F1. Not sure if it's an anomaly or the trend but it was telling. I went with a C2S instead of the GT3 because it was PDK only, I wanted as analog of a 911 as I could get while it was still available. My order contrasted so acutely with the typical buyer's preference that I had one dealer flat out tell me they wouldn't order the car regardless of deposit! The new M3/4 will also be offered with a manual btw.
This is exactly my mindset as well. Maybe it's because I don't commute daily. M-F it's a taxi or car service through NYC midtown traffic while I read (this Forum tonight for example). If I had to commute daily through stop and go, not sure what I would do. When I do drive on the weekends I REALLY enjoy it and my MT vehicle is the reason, no matter where I am going. I want as hands on an experience as one can have and that means a stick, no self dimming mirrors, no rain sensing windshield wipers, no seeing eye parking helpers, no parking brake helpers, no help clutching on hills, downshifting, or shifting in general. I think it's pretty sad that P is not offering the GT3 with a MT option. It is the primary reason I have not already ordered my C4s (with MT). I am still considering a lightly used Aston v12Vantage as perhaps the better option as a single purpose sports car.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:20 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Smuoio,

I think you will love the Aston V12V. Talk about analog
Old 10-30-2013, 12:19 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will never understand these retarded threads.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:40 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

I kinda wanna drive a Tesla Model S. Would I trade my 7speed for it? I dunno. hmm. Not right now, anyway.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:42 AM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

I would not like to see car companies go auto trans only. I daily drive a manual trans car and I don't mind at all, and it's a 4-dr wagon! However, the market dictates the direction. Most people prefer auto trans. In fact, I believe most Millenials don't know how to drive manual trans cars!

I have a feeling the top-of-the-line sports cars will all be PDK/SMG/DCT trans, but you will still be able to get manual trans in the regular models. You will have to special-order them though. I know Honda no longer keeps manual trans cars on the lot. You have to order them. They've been doing that for over 5 years now I believe.

BMW did it with the E92 M3 GTS.

We'll see. At least we can still buy older cars with manual trans. If I buy a 991, it will probably be the last new car I buy anyway. Still sad to hear about this trend.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:47 AM
lbahoshy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've ordered my C2S in 7MT (still waiting on it - should be on a ship soon!) I drove both and simply found the MT more rewarding and fun for me personally.

Now, I respect and admire the PDK transmission and for sure that is where we are headed. My salesperson said this may be my last opportunity to order a new 911 in a MT and he may be right.

I agree with Suzy's comment regarding North America vs Europe. In Europe, everyone and their grandma grows up driving a MT. In the US (and Canada) manual transmission cars are like 5% (and steadily declining) of all cars sold so perhaps there is that psychology that it is a "skill" to drive a MT as we take our drivers test in automatic cars and its almost impossible to find a MT car to rent from the mainstream companies.

No doubt a PDK car is more efficient, faster around a track, etc. It is likely the future whether we choose to embrace it or not. For now, I will enjoy my MT 911 until I don't have the choice and then I'll move on to PDK if there is no manual transmission.

It will be a real shame when Porsche does not offer a MT transmission anymore but ce'st la vie.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:55 AM
lbahoshy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's interesting to note that Lewis Hamilton ordered his Pagani Zonda 760 LH with a manual transmission
Old 10-30-2013, 01:05 AM
amdave
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No matter what you think - one thing is for sure - Porsche makes the best cars in the world.

PDK is the most amazing auto tranny I have ever experienced in my life. Truly amazing piece of technology.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:58 AM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
I kinda wanna drive a Tesla Model S. Would I trade my 7speed for it? I dunno. hmm. Not right now, anyway.
I have driven my brothers Tesla...it's nice and very fast in straight line but not near as fun to drive as the 991.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:03 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdkrp
I have driven my brothers Tesla...it's nice and very fast in straight line but not near as fun to drive as the 991.
Ahh, good to know. Of course. Every time I drive something else, it's always so nice to get back in the 991.

sent with iOS using Rennlist
Old 10-30-2013, 06:54 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by lbahoshy
I agree with Suzy's comment regarding North America vs Europe. In Europe, everyone and their grandma grows up driving a MT. In the US (and Canada) manual transmission cars are like 5% (and steadily declining) of all cars sold so perhaps there is that psychology that it is a "skill" to drive a MT as we take our drivers test in automatic cars and its almost impossible to find a MT car to rent from the mainstream companies.
I agree too. Over here MT is just something trivial, not a "skill". 99% of the cars and 99% of the people are/drive MT.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:17 AM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lbahoshy
I've ordered my C2S in 7MT (still waiting on it - should be on a ship soon!) I drove both and simply found the MT more rewarding and fun for me personally.

Now, I respect and admire the PDK transmission and for sure that is where we are headed. My salesperson said this may be my last opportunity to order a new 911 in a MT and he may be right.

No doubt a PDK car is more efficient, faster around a track, etc. It is likely the future whether we choose to embrace it or not. For now, I will enjoy my MT 911 until I don't have the choice and then I'll move on to PDK if there is no manual transmission.

It will be a real shame when Porsche does not offer a MT transmission anymore but ce'st la vie.

Here's a thought: Assuming that 5% is accurate, and it's probably pretty close, having a MT is an extra theft prevention!

Kids these days simply are not taught to drive a manual. I took driver's ed in 1981, and learned on an auto. I was taught to drive a manual by the Army.

Quick Reply: No More Manual Gear Box for The 911?