Sponsored by:

XM subscription following your 3 month free trial

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:13 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM subscription following your 3 month free trial

Just thought I'd post this info in case it's helpful to anyone else. For me, I didn't have XM radio prior to having it included free for three months when I picked up my 991 - and when the trial period was coming up to completion, I was wondering how much I'd have to pay to sign-up, given I wasn't blown away by the XM content but had enough interest to explore it further.

Note that I'm not normally one of those people who try and bargain for everything, just thought that the XM prices were far too much for how well I was liking the service.

I read quite a bit online that the XM radio prices were fairly negotiable, so I gave it a shot and apparently succeeded. I called-in about a week in advance of the end of my three month trial period, and mentioned to the XM associate that I wasn't all that impressed with the content and I was considering letting my trial expire unless they could offer a discounted subscription. All true I might add - there are probably five or six channels I listen to. Although I do like the XM traffic integration into the PCM navigation.

In any case, the first XM rep I talked with had no apparent interest in negotiating. I thanked them and hung up. Called right back, and ended up with a different rep who was willing to help.

This is what I ended up getting :

XM Select package (140 channels)
NavTraffic
NavWeather

All for $96 for a year subscription (including taxes and fees). Retail price for all of that is about $245 for a year.

Hope this info is helpful.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:19 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

If you wait a month after service ends the mail solicitations will start coming every 3-4 weeks and they keep getting MUCH cheaper. At least that was the case with us when we purchased a VW Touareg last year.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:19 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Good job! In about 360 days do it again but next time ask for someone in their retentions department. They all have one. Faster. Easier.

You can do the same thing with your home cable Internet provider.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:47 PM
///MMB
Advanced

I think I paid $26 for 6 months last time I renewed for my m3.

Edit
Name:  jTvhhFL.png
Views: 15
Size:  267.1 KB
Old 10-03-2013, 10:31 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Here was my strategy after expiration:
I LET THEM CALL ME RELENTLESSLY!!!
Ignored the twice a day calls (10am and 7:30pm) for a month.

After that point they were willing to give away the house.

PS. If your rep is unable to string a sentence together, hang up and call back.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Huncowboy
Advanced

I had xm (Sirius) for free in the last 4-5 BMWs for a year. I always end up canceling. You just can't get away from the commercials. I hate those and I just won't pay for it. I would pay more for a commercial free radio with good content. But now with podcasts and audio editions of great news papers and streaming internet radio... Yeah. I am done paying so I get to listen to advertisements. But I did not realize that the 991 navigation does not get free traffic. So finally I see some value again. But I did not order that option. Ohh well. Waze is better anyways for traffic.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:28 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been getting the $25 for 6 months to subscribe again (Does not include traffic), but the sound quality on most of the stations I listen to was really disappointing, so I passed. As a side note, NEVER give them your phone #. They will pester you forever. Only give them your e-mail address. You'll get the cheapest offers that way too.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:36 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Damn...it cost me $155 for the year after the trial with weather and traffic.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:04 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

FYI, you can purchase traffic alone for about $3 per month.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:57 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had Sirius and XM free trials on the last half dozen cars I've had and I've never renewed. Like the OP, I only listen to a couple of channels so it's just not worth it to me. I have gotten the $25 for six months offer in the mail, but they always want to set it up for auto-renewal unless you call them to cancel, I don't like stuff like that.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
I've had Sirius and XM free trials on the last half dozen cars I've had and I've never renewed. Like the OP, I only listen to a couple of channels so it's just not worth it to me. I have gotten the $25 for six months offer in the mail, but they always want to set it up for auto-renewal unless you call them to cancel, I don't like stuff like that.
+1
Old 10-04-2013, 01:44 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Thanks everyone - some really good comments as usual. I didn't realize one could purchase NavTraffic on it's own - the SiriusXM website sure doesn't advertise that option. Had I known that, I would have gone for that option - not because I'm cheap, but because the traffic integration is nearly the only plus for me with XM. Yeah, there are a small handful of channels I listen to once in a while - but as others have said, the advertising drives me insane. The bulk of the time, I connect my iPhone via bluetooth and listen to my own commercial free playlists

Oh well, at least I only paid $96 for the year. Next year I'm going to just do the NavTraffic for the 3$/month.

Thanks everyone for educating me - much appreciated
Old 10-04-2013, 10:09 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliforniaZombie
...I didn't realize one could purchase NavTraffic on it's own - the SiriusXM website sure doesn't advertise that option...
Yea, they ain't goin' out of their way to let you know about that option for obvious reasons. BTW, they also tried to throw in weather for another $3/mo, but I never had that option on my 2013 991 (do any have it?) so they relented and agreed to traffic alone.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:24 PM
///MMB
Advanced

BMW has traffic for free through FM.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Explorer7
Instructor

Great information to have.. I am not very interested in the XM Radio.. nor the weather but I might consider subscribing for traffic navigation.. For all three, I use my iphone and I am very happy with that. So after the trial is over, I will look for the cheapest offer but most likely traffic only.

Quick Reply: XM subscription following your 3 month free trial