Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 11:02 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm another "no valet, ever" type. I have never had a situation where there wasn't an alternative.
Last year, when my car was just a few weeks old, I booked a hotel in downtown Austin that had only a valet garage attached. I'd made a non-cancellable reservation so when I found that detail out I called ahead. I explained to the gentleman on the phone that I wasn't comfortable having someone park my manual transmission, brand new expensive car. He told me he would tell the valets to let me self-park.
When I arrived, the valets knew who I was and and set aside a prime spot with in and out privileges, they were very nice about it. In the end, they didn't even charge me for it, although I tipped the guy who led me to the spot the first time. As I was being checked out by the hotel manager, he noticed my name and it turned out he was the one I spoke to on the phone. I gave them a great Trip Advisor review for accomodating me.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:01 AM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 695 Likes on 269 Posts

I will avoid valet whenever possible, but I live in NYC and parking garages and parking attendants are pretty hard to avoid if you want to drive anywhere.

Here is my plan of attack:

1) Stick to the same garages. I have probable 5 or so garages throughout Manhattan that I use regularly for their respective neighborhoods. The attendants get to know you pretty quickly (especially with a distinctive car) and will go out of their way to take care of me.

2) Ask to park yourself, if possible.

3) Tip well when you drop off the car. It doesn't have to be anything crazy, but $10 goes a long way.

4) As you tip point to a spot up front and ask them to put it right THERE. Be specific. A "leave it up front somewhere" leaves plenty of room for interpretation / parking close to others.

5) If its a garage or attendant I don't know, without calling their attention to it (so as not to seem like a jerk who doesn't trust them) I use my phone to take a picture of the gauge cluster as I get out. I'm careful to have the photo show the mileage at drop off and the inside of the garage through the windshield. The photos have a capture time stamp embedded in the EXIF info of the file. With that info and the garage ticket I can tell if excessive mileage or abuse was put on the car under their care.

This has worked well for me so far.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Porsche911_S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one drives my Porsches but my wife. If I have to bribe someone to let me do the parking, I do it. I'm not in the big city any more so I don't have the challenges some of you face.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Explorer7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brianja
I will avoid valet whenever possible, but I live in NYC and parking garages and parking attendants are pretty hard to avoid if you want to drive anywhere.

Here is my plan of attack:

1) Stick to the same garages. I have probable 5 or so garages throughout Manhattan that I use regularly for their respective neighborhoods. The attendants get to know you pretty quickly (especially with a distinctive car) and will go out of their way to take care of me.

2) Ask to park yourself, if possible.

3) Tip well when you drop off the car. It doesn't have to be anything crazy, but $10 goes a long way.

4) As you tip point to a spot up front and ask them to put it right THERE. Be specific. A "leave it up front somewhere" leaves plenty of room for interpretation / parking close to others.

5) If its a garage or attendant I don't know, without calling their attention to it (so as not to seem like a jerk who doesn't trust them) I use my phone to take a picture of the gauge cluster as I get out. I'm careful to have the photo show the mileage at drop off and the inside of the garage through the windshield. The photos have a capture time stamp embedded in the EXIF info of the file. With that info and the garage ticket I can tell if excessive mileage or abuse was put on the car under their care.

This has worked well for me so far.
Good tips.. especially no 5.. I was thinking you might be able to track if someone drove it via the electronic logbook feature and perhaps pointing it out to the Valet, that you have it.. Idk.. but when in a bind, the photo is a great idea.

What is the liability for valet service?
Old 10-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an Idea for Porsche regarding this conundrum!

In the PCM system Porsche should have a Valet option that you should be able to activate with a passcode, the car would then have its revs limited to 4000rpm and speed limited to 60 mph (or another of your choosing).

I have Ferris Buller's Day Off nightmares!!!!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,045 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by Augustomf
I have an Idea for Porsche regarding this conundrum!

In the PCM system Porsche should have a Valet option that you should be able to activate with a passcode, the car would then have its revs limited to 4000rpm and speed limited to 60 mph (or another of your choosing).

I have Ferris Buller's Day Off nightmares!!!!
I would say 2,500 rpm.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:59 PM
ArashApollo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I worked for a valet company back in the day. There is a huge hassle when a car gets damaged. Everyone loses.
Tip before and park it yourself. Anyone who won't let you do that is up to some sketchy stuff. There is no reason for that not to be an option.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:01 PM
ArashApollo
Instructor

Speaking of, I take pictures of the g force sensor before giving my car to any shop / dealership. My clear bra installer ended up paying me $400 cash for having .7 longitudinal G's in .1 miles.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:32 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Valet our new Explorer in NYC one night, got it back it looked OK. Went to pay the NJ-into-PA toll and only the top coin was left in the despenser in the glove compartment. It WAS full of coins before the valet got ahold of it.
So my spidey senses were tingling..................when I got home I checked the car over carefully and found the new spare tire (full size) was missing. For the sake of safety in case of a flat tire thank goodness I checked, but the NYC police or the valet did nothing to compensate the loss, they told me to contact my insurance co.
Suggestion: If you do valet, check your tire repair kit is intact, easy to steal, easy to miss.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:07 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
Do we really think these valets are professionals...NOT?

Practically speaking, our electric parking brake they have never experienced. Just say advanced technology, let me do it...no extra tip required ( if they chime in I know it has an electric brake then let 'em have at it, but I'd be very shocked.)
Lots of cars have electric brakes now.

Where do you live that you've never seen one?
Old 10-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 887 Posts

Why not just leave a GoPro or other dashcam in plain sight, something that features a blinking LED that suggests that it's always recording? If I were a valet, that's the last car I'd mess with.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:01 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

They'd steal it too.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:25 AM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I Manhattan I suggest you walk them around the car, explain that you afraid it will get dented, and give them $5 to "look after it". Then tip them again when you take it out. In 10 years of parking Pcars there I never had a problem.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:26 AM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I Manhattan I suggest you walk them around the car, explain that you're afraid it will get dented, and give them $5 to "look after it". Then tip them again when you take it out. In 10 years of parking Pcars there I never had a problem.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:13 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jcf7
I Manhattan I suggest you walk them around the car, explain that you're afraid it will get dented, and give them $5 to "look after it". Then tip them again when you take it out. In 10 years of parking Pcars there I never had a problem.

Quick Reply: Parking