Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrap the cheap looking plastics of the 991?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Amalgam
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wrap the cheap looking plastics of the 991?

A friend of mine had suggested to have some of the cheap looking black plastic parts of my 991 be wrapped with red carbon fiber (3M DINOC Carbon Fiber Vinyl) to give a less "boring look" to the car. If not overly done, I can't say I don't like it. These accents do give a more sporty look to the vehicle and are removable. Here's a quick photoshop. What do you think?
Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Honest opinion? I don't care for it. I really don't think the exposed plastic is a problem, particularly on the darker colored cars. Put regular black Carbon Fiber look wrap on if you feel you need to do something, or paint to match.

Gorgeous car, btw!
Old 10-01-2013, 11:17 AM
byk
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No Gonna look cheap. And you don't have anything red on the car, so it will be unneccessary.
If you want to give iup the cheap plastic, get a real carbon fiber lip made by that company that just posted inside inlays in carbon. It's not gonna be that cheap as wrap, but at least it will look awesone.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:58 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Not my cup of tea. Especially on the darker exterior colors, I don't see the issue with the plastic... But perhaps you could paint them to match the exterior color if you really need to cover them.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:01 PM
JamesKen
Instructor

What color you put on your car is a personal choice. You could get some advise about what colors go with other colors and red would go with black if you wanted something to stand out. I do think the red clashes a bit with the Luxor interior. While it would not be my choice I think you should decide if it works for you.

I also don't think carbon wrap belongs on any car especially one of this value. I don't like the plastic parts either and I am going to replace the front spoiler and rear diffuser in carbon. I just need to decide what type of rear diffuser I am going to use.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Amalgam
Instructor

Originally Posted by byk
No Gonna look cheap. And you don't have anything red on the car, so it will be unneccessary.
If you want to give iup the cheap plastic, get a real carbon fiber lip made by that company that just posted inside inlays in carbon. It's not gonna be that cheap as wrap, but at least it will look awesone.
If the wrap looks decent, I'd probably go for red seat belts, and new set of wheels (black & red trim). The tail lights of the 991 provide enough red to the back of the car to balance it out. Idk, maybe do it for Halloween and take the wrap off if too cheezy looking?
Old 10-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Amalgam
Instructor

Originally Posted by JamesKen
I do think the red clashes a bit with the Luxor interior.
Although I find red goes well with brown, I think you're right about red crashes with luxor beige.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:41 PM
fantom
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Before pic looks classy; after pic looks like a poor effort for recognition, IMHO.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Amalgam
Instructor

Originally Posted by fantom
Before pic looks classy; after pic looks like a poor effort for recognition, IMHO.
LOL, well said. Looks like it's a bad idea! Will keep it as is for now! It's all mind over matter I think. I just can't stop looking at that chunky black plastic of the side mirror from the corner of my eyes while I drive.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:22 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Paint exterior color, IMHO.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:07 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Amalgam
LOL, well said. Looks like it's a bad idea! Will keep it as is for now! It's all mind over matter I think. I just can't stop looking at that chunky black plastic of the side mirror from the corner of my eyes while I drive.
Personally I think fake anything looks worse than the standard black plastic. At least that is functional.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:10 PM
meine911
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
Paint exterior color, IMHO.
Agreed. I had my mirror posts and front and back aprons painted at factory. Makes a difference even with black. You should be able to do it after market.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:54 PM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

keep it simple with red

Old 10-01-2013, 11:50 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your aesthetic choices are your own,so there is no wrong here, but as others have pointed out wrap is probably not the way to go.

I am also not sure what the real issue is with the black plastic.. The black plastic serves a very functional purpose as pointed out previously. The areas covered with it are the most likely to get dirty by consistent road dirt and / or minor rash. Not having it painted maintains the consistency of the paint longer. Also if the front lip breaks off or is scraped by a driveway or whatever, much easier to quickly replace it to make your car looking new again rather than respray.

Regardless, getting it painted to match is something worth considering if the black plastic bothers you that much.

But then again, what do I know.. I refuse to even coat my car with paint protection or window film
Old 10-02-2013, 01:04 AM
David in Talent
Racer

TACKY :-((

Quick Reply: Wrap the cheap looking plastics of the 991?