Sponsored by:

Cabrio on the track?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 06:34 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 173 Posts
Question Cabrio on the track?

Getting ready to acquire my first 911 (my first Porsche, when it comes to that). Looking for a Chicago-suburbs-year-round daily driver that I can take to the track 6-12 weekends each year. So that's max 24 days on the track each year.

I'm torn between a cabrio and a coupe with glass sunroof. I love cruising with the top down whenever the weather permits, but recognize the track trade-offs (weight goes up, torsional rigidity goes down, roll over protection goes down) as well as the cost impact.

So my question is, is anyone tracking their Cabrio? How often do you track it? Do you ever wish you'd gotten a coupe instead?
Old 09-30-2013, 08:49 PM
JamesKen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tracked my cab on one weekend but that is because I just got it. I plan to track it 4-6 weekends per year. While cabs are not ideal for tracking the stuff you mention regarding stiffness, weight is very minor and not near as important as the driver, tires or suspension.

I have no intention of getting rid of my cab. I always wanted a turbo but would not trade my 991 for a 997 Turbo. I would be trading a better handling car and a much better PDK for more power. May be some day when a used 991 turbo cab comes down in price I will pick one up. That is how much I like my cab. There is no way I would give up the convertible just so I could track it a little more. Of course we have had perfect weather since I bought it. May be after a few winters the novelty will wear off but I doubt it.

I would also check the rules at your track. I can't track my 911 cab at my track except at a PCA DE. The insurance at some tracks does not allow convertibles and or convertibles with roll protecion behind the rear seats. Originally I was upset by this but I don't think I will want to track as much as I originally thought. Tracking is a lot harder on the car especially the brake pads and tires. Add in the insurance and I think 4-6 weekends is enough for me.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:20 AM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JamesKen
I would also check the rules at your track. I can't track my 911 cab at my track except at a PCA DE. The insurance at some tracks does not allow convertibles and or convertibles with roll protection behind the rear seats.
Thanks for the input.

I reached out to some local tracks, and they all pretty much said "it's up to the club running the event". I'm pretty sure I could find 8-10 events with clubs that allow 991 cabs. But the freedom to hit "dream tracks" like Mid-Ohio without worrying about which club is running the event is another plus for the coupe.

On the other hand, even if I go to the track 24 days, and cold/wet weather kills another 180 days, that's still over 160 possible top down days that I would be giving up to enhance the 24 track days. Like I said, I'm torn.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:59 AM
JamesKen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Just J
cold/wet weather kills another 180 days, that's still over 160 possible top down days that I would be giving up to enhance the 24 track days. Like I said, I'm torn.
I am from Chicago and I like your optimism.

If I was going to track the car that much I would consider a hard top or may be the new Targa?? On the other hand you are correct even in Chicago you will have more top down days then track days
Old 10-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JamesKen
I am from Chicago and I like your optimism.

If I was going to track the car that much I would consider a hard top or may be the new Targa?? On the other hand you are correct even in Chicago you will have more top down days then track days
I've got a BMW Z4 now, and the top is down quite a bit even here in Chicagoland. Like yesterday on the way to work, and looks like again today and tomorrow, even though it's October. In fact, early fall is some of the best convertible weather.

If the Targa comes out in time I will give it a hard look. It needs to have an automatic top system that can be operated while the car is in motion. I actually love the design of the 997 Targa and would be all over that design in a 991, although it looks like the 991 Targa will appear more traditional.

In the meantime, it's a coin-toss between the Coupe and the Cab for me, and from what I read it's likely to still be that way when I pull the trigger and place my order.

Quick Reply: Cabrio on the track?