Sponsored by:

Stingray Precision Drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 11:25 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Stingray Precision Drive

Got invited to the Stingray event at Montecello Motorclub today (very nice facility, by the way). Saw the C7 for the first time and had some limited follow-the-leader track time. The car looks great from most angles, the rearend is a bit "futuristic Camaro" but didn't look as odd as I thought it would. The leader cars were facelifted Camaros which now have more generic Chevy tailights, so I guess they make the new Corvette look less like a Camaro!
Anyway, my impressions of the cars were very favorable, plenty of power, lots of traction, decent seats and cockpit. Adam Andretti actually gave the pre-track classroom session, and was very good although his driving tips were mostly lost on Chevy Malibu driving crowd in my group. I drove two 7 speed manuals with rev matching which worked well and a 6 speed automatic which had me missing my PDK. Regardless, the performance of these cars is far above what one can ever use on the street.

So, am I selling the Carrera anytime soon for a new vette? Not likely. While the vette might exceed my car in ultimate performance, I just find the design of the Porsche more appealing and less in your face. The cars are nearly identical in size yet the 911 feels less massive and drives lighter, the 2+2 cockpit seems much roomier and has better visibility. They did have one car in "Lime Rock" metallic green and tan leather which I thought looked fantastic and I do have to admit, you do get a lot for your money in the vette.

I think most people who can afford 911's probably aren't really cross shopping the new corvette. On the otherhand, if I was a Cayman or no-options base Carrera shopper, and especially if a liked a green car (I don't think Porsche is doing any greens right now w/o PTS) and wanted a manual, I'd have a tough choice!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:44 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for sharing. MMC is very nice indeed.

Ran into seinfeld there.
Figuratively of course.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:02 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
Got invited to the Stingray event at Montecello Motorclub today (very nice facility, by the way). Saw the C7 for the first time and had some limited follow-the-leader track time. The car looks great from most angles, the rearend is a bit "futuristic Camaro" but didn't look as odd as I thought it would. The leader cars were facelifted Camaros which now have more generic Chevy tailights, so I guess they make the new Corvette look less like a Camaro!
Anyway, my impressions of the cars were very favorable, plenty of power, lots of traction, decent seats and cockpit. Adam Andretti actually gave the pre-track classroom session, and was very good although his driving tips were mostly lost on Chevy Malibu driving crowd in my group. I drove two 7 speed manuals with rev matching which worked well and a 6 speed automatic which had me missing my PDK. Regardless, the performance of these cars is far above what one can ever use on the street.

So, am I selling the Carrera anytime soon for a new vette? Not likely. While the vette might exceed my car in ultimate performance, I just find the design of the Porsche more appealing and less in your face. The cars are nearly identical in size yet the 911 feels less massive and drives lighter, the 2+2 cockpit seems much roomier and has better visibility. They did have one car in "Lime Rock" metallic green and tan leather which I thought looked fantastic and I do have to admit, you do get a lot for your money in the vette.

I think most people who can afford 911's probably aren't really cross shopping the new corvette. On the otherhand, if I was a Cayman or no-options base Carrera shopper, and especially if a liked a green car (I don't think Porsche is doing any greens right now w/o PTS) and wanted a manual, I'd have a tough choice!

How was the fiberglass torsional rigidity versus metal 911 experience? Also, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Vette look "Pixarish", you know the "cars" movie?

Thx
Old 09-28-2013, 09:02 AM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since my dad is a GM retireee, I had to at least consider the Vette. I've only seen 1 C7 in person, yellow, and I thought it was a very sharp car. Until I got behind it. The rear end was God-awful!! That was an immediate no for me.

I wouldn't say it reminds me of a Camaro. My wife has a 2012 SS so I see it daily.

ETA: Sounds like a great day on the track, and the ugly rear end wouldn't stop me from going, if I had the chance!!
Old 09-28-2013, 09:56 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Lime Rock Green: (Loved that low end V8 torque, and the chassis is alum and steel, not fiberglass!)
Attached Images    
Old 09-28-2013, 10:41 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE

+1 Just saw a green C7 like the one in the pics above but without chrome wheels. Gorgeous outside and in. I think the darker colors go particularly well with the black vents/accents. The car looked far better to me live than in pics. Even the rear looked good. I would imagine anyone looking at a Cayman or F type would have a hard choice. In fact, had I not lived with my 991 long enough to realize just how good it is, I would be sorely tempted.

Quick Reply: Stingray Precision Drive