Sponsored by:

Purchasing from a state with no sales tax

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 12:36 PM
9II
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing from a state with no sales tax

Curious if anyone has purchased their Porsche from one of the 5 states that has no sales tax and had the car shipped to you. In Illinois, I would have to pay a 7% sales tax. On a $120k purchase, we are talking about $8400. If I title the car from an out of state purchase, I would only have to pay a flat $1500 fee for the IL tax, plus shipping cost of the car. Seems like a great opportunity to save some money. Any thoughts?
Old 09-22-2013, 12:56 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

That's not how it works in Illinois. The flat $1,500 fee is only if you purchase private party with a value equal to or exceeding $30,000. If you buy a NEW 911 from a dealership out of state, and you truely live in Chicago, your sales tax will be 8.25% when you properly register your car at your true residence.

The dealership, out of state (any state), will not collect sales tax. That's your responsibility when you bring your car home to Illinois and register in your taxing county.

I think Cook and DuPage county have an 8.25% new car sales tax. But, if you had a ligitimate address in parts of Will county, it's only 7.25%. This would save you about $1,200 on your proposed purchase. Places in and around Springfield are even lower (6%ish??) like near Isringhausen Porsche.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:59 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

in New York, when you register the car you have to pay the tax. Can't get away with that here.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:47 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I bought in Illinois but have to pay the tax in my home state of Missouri. No avoiding it.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:03 PM
BlackSpeed
Advanced

No way to avoid paying in Mass either, when you register the car, you pay the tax. There are businesses set up in NH, MT, etc. that register the cars for your local "business" and you pay yearly for a PO Box type a deal, but there's a lot of gray area stuff and flat out illegal stuff involved if not done properly. YMMV
Old 09-22-2013, 10:22 PM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree about the Illinois tax, but it's a bit for complicated to what was eluded to above. The higher taxes in different areas are due to the different counties having a different rate. However, your out of state dealer will probably only charge you the base tax rate(6.25%). Cook (crook) county will get you for 2% plus another 1% for the city of Chicago. You are responsible for the paying your counties surcharge when you bring the car into the state, which amounts to 3-4k on a 991.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:33 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin N
However, your out of state dealer will probably only charge you the base tax rate
The out of state dealership will not charge any sales tax. It's the buyer's responsibility to do so when registering and licensing the car in Illinois.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:37 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had out-of-state dealerships pay my FL sales tax and register my car for me. Not all dealerships are able to do so but many are.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:06 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

It's my understanding that if you form a Montana LLC, the LLC can purchase the car and have it registered in Montana free of sales tax. The car may be then driven and "reside" elsewhere.

http://revenue.mt.gov/forindividuals.../salestax.mcpx

http://www.rv-dreams.com/montana-llcs.html

Although I purchased my car in Delaware (no tax state), I paid sales tax to Pennsylvania as the car is registered here.
Frankly, the small amount of tax (6% one time) wasn't worth the possibility of ever having to deal with the drones employed by the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue.

If you are interested contact an a Montana lawyer.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:31 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=rnl;10779404]It's my understanding that if you form a Montana LLC, the LLC can purchase the car and have it registered in Montana free of sales tax. The car may be then driven and "reside" elsewhere.

http://revenue.mt.gov/forindividuals.../salestax.mcpx

http://www.rv-dreams.com/montana-llcs.html

Although I purchased my car in Delaware (no tax state), I paid sales tax to Pennsylvania as the car is registered here.
Frankly, the small amount of tax (6% one time) wasn't worth the possibility of ever having to deal with the drones employed by the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue.

In New York State it's called use tax and you cannot escape payment if you reside here.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:19 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

It's called a use tax wherever sales tax is imposed. The Montana gimmick appears to be that the car is never registered in ones home state. Again, I don't believe it's worth the potential hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 09-23-2013, 09:59 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rnl
It's called a use tax wherever sales tax is imposed. The Montana gimmick appears to be that the car is never registered in ones home state. Again, I don't believe it's worth the potential hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
++1
Old 09-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
The out of state dealership will not charge any sales tax. It's the buyer's responsibility to do so when registering and licensing the car in Illinois.
Not true. Bought the car out of state from the east coast and the dealer paid the tax and registered the car for me in Illinois.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:22 PM
yxc145
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my car from a dealer in Texas and shipped here in Chicago. The bank that financed my loan collected the tax for 9.5% for cook county. But when I went to the DMV to register the car, they only calculated 7.5% (I am not sure why). So I saved a little bit. The bank sent a check to DMV with the title and all other documents. I went there to registered it. Then DMV sent the docs back to the bank. The saved money, bank applied it towards the principle.
Unless you register the car in one of those 5 states, there is no way to avoid it.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:35 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a car in Louisiana some years back. Dealer told me they would collect my Texas state sales tax and send in registration....for a fee....or I could just do it myself which I did. They sent the paperwork to my county tax assessor/collector, I got a postcard from them a few weeks later telling me to come in and complete registration and pay the tax.

The Montana thing must work on some level, out of the 24 or so McLaren F1's in the US, there are at least three that when seen have Montana license plates, but none of the owners live there. I can see it being desirable on a $8M+ car, not so much on our's.

Quick Reply: Purchasing from a state with no sales tax