Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At delivery, I was told, "Have fun!"
Old 10-30-2013, 07:07 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
Thanks

It will be an American musclecar instead of a 991 my "father-in-law" has a Challanger SRT8 and a Raptor. Something completely different, but also nice to drive once in a while. We don't have that here in Europe
A cllient of mine is moving to the US. When I go visit I'm not driving Euro cars, I'm getting myself some American muscle, bring on a Boss or Shelby Mustang for me please ! Or if the weather allows it, a nice Cobra !
Old 10-30-2013, 07:44 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
I was told at delivery time not to exceed 4000rpm first 3000km !
They say that with every new car I buy, but I never hear what they say for some reason

I have an uncle who owns several Fiat, Alfa and Lancia dealerships and he told me to take it easy the first 300-500kms and after that I could use the car to its full potential, as long as the engine is at the right temperature. (And that was for an Alfa!, not even a Porsche)
It's even better to vary the revs a lot. A 300km trip on the Autobahn is not good for the first kms of the car, a 100km drive on various roads is good for engine, transmission and tyres. Accelerating and braking a lot is the best thing to do.

The break-in is also for safety reasons. The car should be 100% OK, but it can happen that some things aren't tightend well enough or there are other small failures. It's better to discover problems before a car gets used to its full potential, especially with fast cars like Porsches.
The other aspect is the driver itself... Especially when a driver is new to the brand or to the type of car, it's better to tell him to not rev above a certain figure and don't accelerate too hard because of the break-in.
What they are actually saying to such a customer is "you're a bad driver! The damn thing is fast, so be careful and get used to it the first 3000km!" Haha. Well sort of... You know what I mean.

It doesn't apply to every driver of course, but they can't make seperate manuals for experienced drivers

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 10-30-2013, 06:23 PM
DKC64
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that on the one hand the US manual and in other countries we're told to "take it easy" or stay under 4200rpm for the first 1000-2000miles (or however long it is). I also understand that there is widespread opinion/advice that this is not necessary and as long as you warm up the engine you can push the car up the rpm. Although not necessary, there is no harm in "taking it easy".

However the above is quite different from the opinion/advice that taking it easy is actually HARMFUL for the engine's breaking-in! This opinion says you should floor it as soon as it warms up at the earliest opportunity.

I'm so confused now!
Old 10-30-2013, 06:46 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DKC64
I understand that on the one hand the US manual and in other countries we're told to "take it easy" or stay under 4200rpm for the first 1000-2000miles (or however long it is). I also understand that there is widespread opinion/advice that this is not necessary and as long as you warm up the engine you can push the car up the rpm. Although not necessary, there is no harm in "taking it easy". However the above is quite different from the opinion/advice that taking it easy is actually HARMFUL for the engine's breaking-in! This opinion says you should floor it as soon as it warms up at the earliest opportunity. I'm so confused now!
It IS confusing. I totally agree.
Fact is that my uncle (who really knows a thing or two about engines, especially boxer engines), some of his mechanics, as well as a mechanic at my Porsche dealer say the same thing to me (different brands!).
Take it a little easy the first 300-500km or maybe even 1000km (not only for the car, but also for the driver) and after that you can do whatever you want, as long as the engine is at the right temperature.
To go WOT right from the start is not a really big problem for a modern engine, but it can be for some other parts. It's ALWAYS better to be a little careful when a car is brand new, no matter what car it is.
As the kms/miles fly by, you'll notice that the engine and transmission will get smoother. (My Boxster S had 2500km when I bought her and has now 11200km and there is clearly a difference noticeable. Especially the MT feels better than when I just had the car).

Going WOT from the start or not, makes no difference for the engine itself, later on. That's a fairytail from the early days (I'm quoting my uncle now, I am not that technical).

That's all I know and all I have always done with new cars. Never had a problem....

Suzy (via iOS app)

Quick Reply: Is break-in or run-in really required?