Sponsored by:

Target of lunatics?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 04:20 PM
zelig
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Target of Lunatics

I realized going to a movie was really dumb in retrospect. That's why i posted this. The guy who was checking my car out didn't buy a ticket and after he realized I was on to him got nasty and left with his crew who arrived a little later. It was pretty obvious he wasn't just admiring my car or going to a flick.

My car is a daily driver but as you point out you need to use common sense too.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:25 PM
SkandoSchwabe
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

I live in Arizona where we get a lot of seasoned guys on Harleys. This particular one was cruising at 60MPH in the left lane, I merge right, keeping a safe distance, to join the long line of other cars passing him on the right. As it is my turn to pass, he looks at me, speeds up and cuts into my lane so close that I had to slam the breaks not to hit him. He was not wearing a helmet..... Evolution in action..... Glad I wasn't texting
Old 09-14-2013, 11:26 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had just got my car and was out for a nice peaceful drive with my good friend Kayne. I pull up to a stop light and I notice this guy behind me in a car taking a picture! How rude. We got out and beat the holy crap out of him.

Alec Baldwin
Old 09-15-2013, 06:48 AM
Harold1898
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The day I bought the 991S I also bought a new CRV. If I have to go anywhere like a shopping centre etc, I just use the Honda.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:05 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 991Dreamer
Had just got my car and was out for a nice peaceful drive with my good friend Kayne. I pull up to a stop light and I notice this guy behind me in a car taking a picture! How rude. We got out and beat the holy crap out of him.

Alec Baldwin
Dang, Alec. You a thug.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:22 PM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Yesterday, I found myself being a lunatic. I was in my Jeep and an old 911 (1967?) was in front of me. I caught up to take a closer look. Beautiful car. Then remembered this thread and backed off.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:04 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
well, frankly w/o getting political, its really a sign of our times.
No, it's not. This kind of stuff has been going on for a long time. I have owned Porsches, BMWs, Corvettes and even a few Japanese "luxury" cars, for many years, and people do act differently depending on what you're driving. I'm the same guy, driving the same way in all of the cars, and if there's going to be some road rage, it's generally going to be against the BMW or Porsche.

As far as active hostility against me though, I think it was worse in the 911.

As for thumbs up, I got the most in my 996 cab. I think if you're in a cab with the top down, you aren't isolated so much and people can see you and realize that you are just a person.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:48 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,511 Posts

I never disrespect or shunt Porsche drivers on the road and I've owned four of them in the past. It's a very nice car and obviously has an owner who appreciates a nice automobile and is willing to pay for it. When I go by them I love to admire the classic lines of a 911 - especially the wide body coupes - and trust that one day they'll be able to get into a real handmade car like mine instead of a mass produced one.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:20 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Speaking of car cams to record these #%**! drivers, what one does everyone here recommend for the 991? Thanks
Old 09-25-2013, 02:24 PM
lbahoshy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=drcollie;10784972]I never disrespect or shunt Porsche drivers on the road and I've owned four of them in the past. It's a very nice car and obviously has an owner who appreciates a nice automobile and is willing to pay for it. When I go by them I love to admire the classic lines of a 911 - especially the wide body coupes - and trust that one day they'll be able to get into a real handmade car like mine instead of a mass produced one.

Tongue firmly in cheek I suppose! Nice Aston!!
Old 09-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by fester
I never take my 911 to the places like movie theaters where folks know that the car is going to be parked at least for 90 minutes or so. If you have other vehicle, take that one instead.
+1
My car makes big circles out of and back to my garage. I never leave it anywhere, any time.
Seems as though there are certain people (mainly women) who see a 911 and automatically think it's going 100 mph. One time I was navigating a corner on a narrow side street, lined with cars on both sides. I was going so slow that the car was about to stall when a fat blonde coming the other way in a minivan screamed at me to slow down
Old 09-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Porsche911_S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! For the past 12 years I thought all these crazies were just my imagination running wild. I've had so many whackos bother me with both of my 911s that it's absolutely ridiculous. I have had numerous near-crashes that were so close that I could hear the metal/plastic crunching in my head. So far I've been lucky and I hope it stays that way. My wife and I had a nice 300 mile run today and the only close call was a fox that ran in front of the car. No nuts out today...at least none who could keep up with me.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Naushaud
Intermediate

On the contrary just minutes ago an older gentleman in a Camry pulled up next to me at a light and honked for me to roll it down. He then smiled and offered to trade cars with me. I guess for all the stares and compliments we have to put up with a few lunatics out there.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:14 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bernpep
Speaking of car cams to record these #%**! drivers, what one does everyone here recommend for the 991? Thanks
As long as the cam is good enough to see the license plate. I don't think it needs to be super HD to tell the other car tries to cut you off. So, I think most of them from ebay are good enough as long as they have the wide angle lens. Also, there are apps that can use your cellphone as the car cam but obviously most cellphones don't have a wide angle len. I have the Dailyroads Voyager app in my cell phone.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:03 PM
tanman88
Intermediate

Originally Posted by drcollie
I never disrespect or shunt Porsche drivers on the road and I've owned four of them in the past. It's a very nice car and obviously has an owner who appreciates a nice automobile and is willing to pay for it. When I go by them I love to admire the classic lines of a 911 - especially the wide body coupes - and trust that one day they'll be able to get into a real handmade car like mine instead of a mass produced one.

A notable perspective. Similarly, I never judge cars that have Ford engines.

Quick Reply: Target of lunatics?