Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Target of lunatics?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Nothing bad in 6 months living in Chicago (Northside), but the reaction from kids is worth the price of ownership alone. While parked at the healthclub couple weeks ago a Father and Son was walking past the car. The kid was about 9 and my car was parked all alone. He was chatting with his dad and all the sudden stopped dead in his tracks and yelled "Dad, Its a Porsche 911!!" He was awestruck.

I come up from behind and say hi and ask him if he'd like to sit in the car. Dad said it was fine and I let him sit and start the car. He could barely speak.

I turned it into a life experience and told him to get good grades, go to college and work hard and maybe he could have a Porsche someday. I said that's what I did.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:03 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
For the past few weeks I've noticed small scratches on my roof when I park in my parking garage at work. It's happened on four occasions now so it's not just an accident or coincidence. I just wonder why people are so unhappy about their own lives that they act out in such a manner as to damage other people's property in such a way.
Some ladies have been using your car to rest her purses to find her stuff.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:50 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by THPorsche
Some ladies have been using your car to rest her purses to find her stuff.
Yes, that was my theory until it continued to happen when I moved my car to random locations all around the parking garage. That tells me someone is actively targeting my vehicle.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:25 AM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just seems like an odd place to scratch it, almost like someone is hoping you won't notice. Kinda defeats the purpose of doing it, IMO.

IDK, stranger things have happened.

Originally Posted by stealthboy
Yes, that was my theory until it continued to happen when I moved my car to random locations all around the parking garage. That tells me someone is actively targeting my vehicle.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:02 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
"Idiots who leave little paper messages under the wipers complaining that I am taking more than one space in at the absolutely last row in an empty parking lot (like: "your parking is ignorant man") "

Don't do that.

Totally agree. Taking up two spots is bad karma regardless of how many empty spots there are in the lot.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:21 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JamesKen
X3
What does a BMW SUV have to do with lunatics?
Old 09-12-2013, 11:26 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mi650
Just seems like an odd place to scratch it, almost like someone is hoping you won't notice. Kinda defeats the purpose of doing it, IMO.

IDK, stranger things have happened.

I know, it's weird. I'm thinking it's because they're not bold enough to just flat-out key my car - and this is their "death by a thousand cuts" way of damaging my property. They know they're doing something to mar my new car, so it gives them that way to act out without being overt.

Otherwise, the reactions to the car are positive. Mostly it's the younger kids that love it. There are a lot of other Porsches in my area, so they're not too rare, but still it gets some waves and thumbs-up from kids.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:10 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I have always used remarks about my Porsches as "teaching moments" or just plain "self help".

Teaching moment: When a child remarks about my Porsches I point out that I am not wealthy but had been in school 11 years beyond high school and have "many college degrees". In many cases they interpret that to mean that I must be well employed. I just had a teaching moment.

Self help: On the few times I have been "justifiably" stopped for speeding on an interstate, I am both pleasant and overly conversational. I somehow direct the conversation to the Porsche. The officer's delight in the conversation usually results in a "warning". On only one occasion id I receive a citation for an expired insurance card ($7.50). This strategy does not work when I am stopped in my pick-up.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:22 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by freeman
Self help: On the few times I have been "justifiably" stopped for speeding on an interstate, I am both pleasant and overly conversational. I somehow direct the conversation to the Porsche. The officer's delight in the conversation usually results in a "warning". On only one occasion id I receive a citation for an expired insurance card ($7.50). This strategy does not work when I am stopped in my pick-up.
I had this happen to me in Kansas back when I had an 87 930. I had just installed a new exhaust, intercooler and adjustable boost control and I did a very obvious boost run right in front of a cop early on a Sunday morning. It was so blatant that he was kind of laughing when he walked up to the window, and I was laughing, too. Then we were both laughing. When we both finally could speak, he looked the car over admiringly and said "if I had this thing I wouldn't be able to control myself either." He asked a few questions, let me off with a warning and told me where he would wring it out to escape the eyes of his fellow law enforcement officers. I almost asked if he wanted to drive it but he was in uniform and it would have been too weird.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:33 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
Originally Posted by rnl
"Idiots who leave little paper messages under the wipers complaining that I am taking more than one space in at the absolutely last row in an empty parking lot (like: "your parking is ignorant man") "

Don't do that.

Totally agree. Taking up two spots is bad karma regardless of how many empty spots there are in the lot.
I ordinarily don't, however, i own the freeking parking lot and office building it serves and it was a Sunday afternoon - empty, totally empty lot. Just me, my car and a desk full of work.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:16 PM
zelig
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Target of Lunatics

I once was going to a movie and noticed this guy checking my new 997 out and had a weird feeling. Told my wife to get tickets and but moved the car closer to the entrance and watched the dude who had no intention of going to a movie. After a little while he actually comes over and asked if I have a problem.

In a little while a car with four shady looking guys drive up and meet him and they just drive away. Called the cops and they figured my car was being cased for being stripped or worse. Glad I noticed him.

Learned my lesson about going to movies. If someone is looking for trouble and the theater is not attached to a mall or other businesses, it is obvious that you are away for a couple of hours. Plenty of time to do their "thing".
Old 09-14-2013, 06:25 AM
hff
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In South Africa I find you generally get lots of positive attention, people move out of the way, parking spaces appear miraculously.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:37 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 159 Posts

I have driven Porsches and Ferraris for years and never had a problem. Lots of thumbs up. People do tailgate but they tailgate everybody. I don't think it's about the car.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:58 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
Originally Posted by rnl

Don't do that.

+1.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:00 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by zelig
I once was going to a movie and noticed this guy checking my new 997 out and had a weird feeling. Told my wife to get tickets and but moved the car closer to the entrance and watched the dude who had no intention of going to a movie. After a little while he actually comes over and asked if I have a problem.

In a little while a car with four shady looking guys drive up and meet him and they just drive away. Called the cops and they figured my car was being cased for being stripped or worse. Glad I noticed him.

Learned my lesson about going to movies. If someone is looking for trouble and the theater is not attached to a mall or other businesses, it is obvious that you are away for a couple of hours. Plenty of time to do their "thing".
I never take my 911 to the places like movie theaters where folks know that the car is going to be parked at least for 90 minutes or so. If you have other vehicle, take that one instead.

Quick Reply: Target of lunatics?