Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X3
Old 09-11-2013, 03:08 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrat
I'm in Houston also. Porsche's barely stand out
Out of curiosity, what shopping center / area of town?
I was parked right in front of the River Oaks Theatre on West Gray, in between a 911 Cab and a much taller Range Rover. It was keyed on the side shielded by the RR and anyone walking by on the sidewalk would have probably just thought someone was getting in their car. I was in the adjacent Epicure Cafe having dessert for 30 minutes or less.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:21 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

For the past few weeks I've noticed small scratches on my roof when I park in my parking garage at work. It's happened on four occasions now so it's not just an accident or coincidence. I just wonder why people are so unhappy about their own lives that they act out in such a manner as to damage other people's property in such a way.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:26 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
For the past few weeks I've noticed small scratches on my roof when I park in my parking garage at work. It's happened on four occasions now so it's not just an accident or coincidence. I just wonder why people are so unhappy about their own lives that they act out in such a manner as to damage other people's property in such a way.
+1

Especially in America where we all choose the lives we live... and the efforts and risks we're willing to make and take.

Have to admit that it has really surprised me that it happens here.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:49 PM
JamesKen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
+1

Especially in America where we all choose the lives we live... and the efforts and risks we're willing to make and take.

Have to admit that it has really surprised me that it happens here.

The people who would key your car have no idea what you are talking about in regard to effort and risk. They stereo type you in a way that is convenient and makes themselves feel better. I imagine I do the same about them.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
This sounds more like a stray cat or raccoon or something.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,031 Likes on 552 Posts

Jealously can be quite a potent motivator for those people.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Going through my regular coffee drive-thru this morning (a common theme here in northern WA state), there happened to be a window cleaner cleaning the drive-thru window. He asked me what I did to afford such a nice car. I told him. I don't have kids, I don't smoke, don't drink, and don't gamble. I've saved most of my life and invested for a comfortable retirement, and I don't invest capital in risky startups under bad economic conditions - I like my regular 9-5, security-related-job paycheck. I was able to afford the car. He said "smart", scowled, and walked away.

We've made sacrifices for what we have and some people won't ever understand. I guess that is that. I haven't had any issues with damage to the car, but I know I will at some point. This is the world we live in.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:57 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

Just get used to it. I lusted over a Porsche for at least 40 years before I bought my 991 last year. I have enjoyed every minute of it and have noticed that there are few of the categories of "admirers," I'm sure there are many more:

- Kids who take photos and give the "thumbs up" sign;
- Morons who tailgate then blow by the car (they also want to race at stop lights);
- Middle aged admirers who ask questions while I'm filling the car;
- Idiots who leave little paper messages under the wipers complaining that I am taking more than one space in at the absolutely last row in an empty parking lot (like: "your parking is ignorant man");
- Curiously, women who flirt with me in gas stations and at Saturday Morning Cars- this is unbelievable as I am a bald late middle aged lawyer and of course I always tell my wife when this happens (she tells me to go ahead as her divorce lawyers are Smith and Wesson);
- Neighbors and friends who ignore the car;
- Neighbors and friends who run over to drool, congratulate me on my purchase and wish me well;
- my law partners who immediately reach for the phone to call the dealer to order a more expensive one....
Old 09-11-2013, 09:11 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstep
I guess she didn't know the speed limit either if she was keeping up with you to keep getting cut off.

Wait, that doesn't even make sense - I smell crazy involved here.
I thought the exact same thing!
Old 09-11-2013, 09:42 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
Idiots who leave little paper messages under the wipers complaining that I am taking more than one space in at the absolutely last row in an empty parking lot (like: "your parking is ignorant man")
Don't do that.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:45 PM
RIndy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
Just get used to it. I lusted over a Porsche for at least 40 years before I bought my 991 last year. I have enjoyed every minute of it and have noticed that there are few of the categories of "admirers," I'm sure there are many more:

- Kids who take photos and give the "thumbs up" sign;
- Morons who tailgate then blow by the car (they also want to race at stop lights);
- Middle aged admirers who ask questions while I'm filling the car;
- Idiots who leave little paper messages under the wipers complaining that I am taking more than one space in at the absolutely last row in an empty parking lot (like: "your parking is ignorant man");
- Curiously, women who flirt with me in gas stations and at Saturday Morning Cars- this is unbelievable as I am a bald late middle aged lawyer and of course I always tell my wife when this happens (she tells me to go ahead as her divorce lawyers are Smith and Wesson);
- Neighbors and friends who ignore the car;
- Neighbors and friends who run over to drool, congratulate me on my purchase and wish me well;
- my law partners who immediately reach for the phone to call the dealer to order a more expensive one....
very funny plus a pretty complete list
Old 09-11-2013, 09:47 PM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking perhaps as a precaution maybe a redneck style gun rack in the rear window where I can hang my SCAR 17s will deter any hasty impositions? I haven't experienced any negativity at all here in the suburbs of Atl. I did comment to my though that people seem to move out of the left lane much more quickly than when I approached in my M5. Weird but I guess the 991 just looks like it is coming up on them faster? I have noticed this even in non-spirited driving situations. Turns out I have ZERO problem with it.

Still the F150 is the bigger intimidator-lol!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:10 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NRA license plate holder.

Quick Reply: Target of lunatics?