Sponsored by:

Target of lunatics?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I had some minor issues when living on the East Coast but I haven't experienced anything negative in the KC area. I do see lots of jaw drops and thumbs up.

There really is a very large difference in people's attitudes in various parts of the country which plays into the road rage and anger you see.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:55 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 155 Posts

After driving Vettes, Vipers, Porsches, Ferraris, BMWs, Audis, Benz and more for decades, I have never had anything but thumbs-up and cell phone photo takers on the roads. It makes me wonder if some of you may be doing something with your driving to **** off so many people?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:12 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get compliments all the time. But often, I'll be minding my own business in the center lane, and a mini-van will whip around me. There's something to the thought about guys feeling emasculated driving them.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:20 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm, guess I took too long to write my last response and it ended up in the ether...

Short version, I had a hick in a pickup truck with trailer (looked like he could be working a carnival) come across from the left of 2 lanes at an intersection and run me out of my lane. Yes, there was a car in front of me, or I wouldn't have been next to him.

I honked and did a shoulder shrug / hand gesture of "what was that!?" as I went around to his left (he now being in the right lane where my car would have been), and he then angrily pulled up just past me and stopped (I was making a left about 1/2 block later) and he, uh, requested I await his making a u-turn at the next intersection so we could discuss things like gentlemen.

Or maybe that wasn't exactly what he wanted to do - I could picture him running the pickup into my C2, picking a fight, or pulling a gun (yee-haw!). The one thing I couldn't picture was him looking at the Google Map and apologizing for running me out of my lane. I turned and drove on, so I guess his apology will wait forever.

Moral: Keep clear of hicks in pickups?

Last edited by mrstep; 09-10-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Typos. 'or' needed to be 'of', 'tee haw' should read 'yee-haw'. The guy was still a hick in a pickup.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:27 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tangram
I've driven a 993 since 2002 and had my first "incident" a couple of weeks ago in my Racing Yellow CS. A woman pulled up to me at a light and said that I had cut her off not once but twice and that did I know what the speed limit was? I was honestly embarrassed and perplexed at the same time as I was just puttering away, not being "spirited" in any way. These cars are targets for people who are out to pick a fight while driving. Unfortunate.
I guess she didn't know the speed limit either if she was keeping up with you to keep getting cut off.

Wait, that doesn't even make sense - I smell crazy involved here.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Multiple dumb experiences so far. Only have had my C2 for about 8 months so far:

Dodge ram comes flying up in left lane, me in the center lane ( only because it was a construction zone with a huge barrier on the left). Cuts me off and across 3 lanes all while the two people in the passenger seats have their arms out the window with their thumbs down.

Parked way out in the outskirts of a parking lot and come back to find an Optimum Cable van parked within inches of the passenger side of the car. My wife couldn't get in without me backing out.

My favorite confrontation was with a Mustang owner when a had a Z4 years ago. Mustang owner tells me to go buy American. I reply by telling him "my car is built in South Carolina, where is yours made? Oh, that's right Mexico...." That was fun, he was dumbfounded.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:20 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
After driving Vettes, Vipers, Porsches, Ferraris, BMWs, Audis, Benz and more for decades, I have never had anything but thumbs-up and cell phone photo takers on the roads. It makes me wonder if some of you may be doing something with your driving to **** off so many people?
ya got me. I'm bringing it on myself

Old 09-10-2013, 11:58 PM
LotF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your wing is going to confuse the unwashed that your car is a modified Honda or such. Personally, I'd get one of those small portable cameras for a few benji's and mount it to the visor with Velcro. When they start to complain, point the camera at them. Tell them they are being taped and can view the tape history at the local constabulary.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:50 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I have installed a car cam for each of my car. They are cheap.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:39 AM
Lebreeze
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts

Check this video out halarious.

Last edited by Lebreeze; 09-11-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:48 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
It makes me wonder if some of you may be doing something with your driving to **** off so many people?

This. Two weeks into 991 ownership my car was keyed in an upscale shopping center lot on an evening in which I'd had absolutely no inter-personal contact with anyone related to the car. I accepted it, had it fixed, and moved on.
Since then, I haven't had any unusual negative incidents while driving my car, but I try really hard not to do anything that would **** folks off. You can drive fast without being aggressive.
I'm sure regionality factors in some. In my hometown Houston, Porsches are all over the place, and pretty much no one bats an eye. On my recent 2400 mile round trip to Durango, CO, I saw only TWO 911's the entire time, a 993 and an older 80's vintage, both in Durango and they both waved at me. I had a couple of "nice car" comments while getting gas, and saw teenagers at two different stops taking cellphone pictures of my car, but nothing negative.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:05 AM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
This. Two weeks into 991 ownership my car was keyed in an upscale shopping center lot on an evening in which I'd had absolutely no inter-personal contact with anyone related to the car. I accepted it, had it fixed, and moved on.
Since then, I haven't had any unusual negative incidents while driving my car, but I try really hard not to do anything that would **** folks off. You can drive fast without being aggressive.
I'm sure regionality factors in some. In my hometown Houston, Porsches are all over the place, and pretty much no one bats an eye. On my recent 2400 mile round trip to Durango, CO, I saw only TWO 911's the entire time, a 993 and an older 80's vintage, both in Durango and they both waved at me. I had a couple of "nice car" comments while getting gas, and saw teenagers at two different stops taking cellphone pictures of my car, but nothing negative.
I'm in Houston also. Porsche's barely stand out
Out of curiosity, what shopping center / area of town?
Old 09-11-2013, 11:35 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well, frankly w/o getting political, its really a sign of our times.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:45 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sheesh, never ever had a problem with any sports car I've driven or ridden in, I hope this isn't just a Porsche thing.

I've always considered Porsche owners/drivers to be introspective maybe even standoffish, not aggressive in terms of driving habits. Spirited driving when isolated but not to interfere with other drivers.
The issue must be with a perceived "Porsche" stigma. But where did this preconceived negative notion originate from?
Folks dont bother with VW's.....? So it's not a Teutonic thing. Class distinction could be at issue but I never hear about $150k C and S Benzes having a problem. Expensive sports cars, as I've said never had a problem, folks were more interested in taking pictures and friendly conservation.
I've been to track events everywhere, participating and spectator, and never have I heard or seen ill feelings towards a "car" Porsche or otherwise......driver maybe, hehe.
.................So what makes all these people anti-Porsche-ites? Do these shinbones still find bliss in the "barf in the sun-roof scene" during CaddyShack?

I think they would really like us if they took some time to get to know us.......

Best, Bret.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:58 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

actually that barf scene still makes me laugh...

Quick Reply: Target of lunatics?